It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Another Shakeup To The Roster.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:53 pm 

alancac98 wrote:
Scunge wrote:
I am all about taking the BPA every year, the best player available, regardless of position and whether you think the team is loaded at that position or not.

A perfect example of this is the JuJu pick. Nobody wanted to draft a WR in round 2 last season, but I did. Everybody thought we were stocked at WR with Coates, Bryant coming back, Rogers, etc. They were all capable supposedly to complement Brown. The Steelers saw the value that JuJu provided and drafted him in round 2. That is classic BPA right there.

All of these players, these high picks that aren't working out, it is mostly because they are forcing the issue, they are truly reaching for these players.

Bud Dupree? Forget about Shane Ray, that wasn't good value either and he wasn't worthy of being a #1. There were 3 pass rushers, 260-270 pound edge rushers, that were drafted in the second round right after we took Dupree. Preston Smith (Washington) 18.5 sacks, Markus Golden (Arizona) 16.5 sacks, and Frank Clark (Seattle) 21 sacks. Why did we have to spend a premium 1st round pick on yet another OLB when these 3 players were available in round 2? If you have 5 players like this with similar grades on your board, you don't take an OLB with that first round pick.

They had to have had S Landon Collins as their highest rated safety. He was available at 23. CB/S Byron Jones was available. Those two players should have been the BPA choice and then they could have snagged whoever was left at OLB at the end of round 2. Sure, this is all looking at things in hindsight, but I thought this same way during that draft. I loved Collins and Golden/Clark. We could have drafted Collins and Golden or Clark at the end of round 2. How much better would this team be right now if we hadn't reached for Bud Dupree?

Next draft, if a RB is there at the end of round 1 and he is your BPA you draft him, even if Bell is still going to be on the roster for 2018. If a QB you really like is there at the end of round 1, and he is your BPA you draft him, even if Ben plays another two years. No position is safe or set in stone. Things happen, things change.

The surest way to have a failed draft pick is to panic and overreact and force the issue. For example, maybe they think Shazier never plays again, and so they go into this next draft and they try and find 'another' Shazier, another speedy, super athletic ILB and they are going to spend a first rounder to do it. That is reaching, that is forcing the issue, that is how these 1st and 2nd round mistakes happen, time and time again.

Honestly, I don't think Tomlin "freaks out" or panics at all. He is the new Al Davis and is too enamored with athleticism and speed, not football IQ/prowess!
If this were true, he never would have drafted Jarvis Jones.