It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Why the NFL is hard to watch...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:33 pm 

Baltostiller wrote:
I only watch the Steelers. I used to watch every game I could. It's just not interesting anymore.

The incessant flags, silly reviews (see James, Jesse) make other games uninteresting.

A lot of these Sundays where the Steelers didn't play and where on MNF, TNF or SNF I didn't turn football on all day!

I know I'm the rare person, but I DON'T CARE about "getting it right", it's just not worth ruining the flow of the game constantly to try to be perfect with replay.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:38 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
Baltostiller wrote:
I only watch the Steelers. I used to watch every game I could. It's just not interesting anymore.

The incessant flags, silly reviews (see James, Jesse) make other games uninteresting.

A lot of these Sundays where the Steelers didn't play and where on MNF, TNF or SNF I didn't turn football on all day!

I know I'm the rare person, but I DON'T CARE about "getting it right", it's just not worth ruining the flow of the game constantly to try to be perfect with replay.

While the flow of the game is a problem, the bigger problem is they aren't even "getting it right"...

unless of course you are a patriot fan - then they always get it right.... for you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:48 pm 

The NHL is so much more fun to watch than the NFL, it's not even funny.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:25 am 

I agree with the op.

Also for me the kneeling,incessant jaw jacking, pushing and shoving on every play.
The dancing , pounding of chests, on every play no matter if it’s a three yard run. Regardless if one team is getting their ass handed to them.
Now the stupid azz choreograhed “celebrations” .

I’m 45 old school kind of guy. Can’t stand loudmouths,showboating. Or blatant disrespect for this country.

The NFL is getting thin for me.
Gave up the NBA a long time due to the same reasoning.
Baseball more so due to it being boring to watch.
NHL is still good to go unfortunately living in Florida I can’t catch many Pens games.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:37 am 

Jeemie wrote:
We’re the past.

The author is the past.

The NFL doesn’t care about us anymore.

And they will sorely regret this. I quit watching the NBA for the same reasons.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:15 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
I'm actually encouraged that there is finally and thankfully some HATE being generated for REPLAY. I've hated it, since they implemented it! I'd rather just live with mistakes,

I agree

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:29 pm 

Havoc wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
I'm actually encouraged that there is finally and thankfully some HATE being generated for REPLAY. I've hated it, since they implemented it! I'd rather just live with mistakes,

I agree

I actually had this thought yesterday as I saw how the refs screwed Kelvin Benjamin of the Bills out of a TD...

Make "what is a Catch" a NON-REVIEWABLE JUDGEMENT CALL like DPI and Holding and just be done with it! Of course they won't do it, but it makes sense, no matter how much they mess with it, THEY NEVER GET IT RIGHT ANYWAYS!!!!!

Makes the fucking league look bad too! Makes it look like they are favoring, ahem... certain teams. Takes away awesome plays from future highlight reels, Think Lynn Swann or The Immaculate Reception ERASED FROM HISTORY.

I am actually about sick of the NFL, I watched some college football and also this year watched some Canadian football and in those games they have replay and they do throw flags, but not with the magnitude of the NFL. In the NFL the referees and the replay are the central characters in the show, the players are way less important.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:36 pm 

StillerInCT wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
I hear you CT. I have the red zone channel and still don't watch. I'm more into the Discovery channels like Homestead Rescue and Alaska the last Frontier for example...

How's Alaska the Last Frontier?

Fairly good. I really like the Homestead Rescue. I'm also into the Maine Cabin Masters... Love the DIY shit and dig the real time survival stuff. Discovery channels are my go to's. Absolutely love the How the Universe Works, national geo Explorers and their new one the Long Road Home I believe it's called. Impossible Engineering and a bunch more.I agree swiss Really like the Alaska ones. Below Zero is awesome too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:09 pm 

Tennis is a great sport. Fed, Nadal, Murray, Djok all set for an exciting year. Serena back. Replay system works. Just saying.

5 years ago NFL was without peer. Now just a joke of its former self.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:12 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
I hear you CT. I have the red zone channel and still don't watch. I'm more into the Discovery channels like Homestead Rescue and Alaska the last Frontier for example...

How's Alaska the Last Frontier?

Fairly good. I really like the Homestead Rescue. I'm also into the Maine Cabin Masters... Love the DIY shit and dig the real time survival stuff. Discovery channels are my go to's. Absolutely love the How the Universe Works, national geo Explorers and their new one the Long Road Home I believe it's called. Impossible Engineering and a bunch more.I agree swiss Really like the Alaska ones. Below Zero is awesome too.

Yeah, I like Below Zero, too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:21 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
Baltostiller wrote:

I prefer them "getting it right" when it comes to things like 2 feet in on a catch and fumble rulings, when it is very obvious what is the correct call. The super slo-mo frame by frame "did the ball move" shit has to go. I'd love to beat the shit out of the guy who wrote "football move" into the rule book.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:25 pm 

Baltostiller wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
Baltostiller wrote:

I prefer them "getting it right" when it comes to things like 2 feet in on a catch and fumble rulings, when it is very obvious what is the correct call. The super slo-mo frame by frame "did the ball move" shit has to go. I'd love to beat the shit out of the guy who wrote "football move" into the rule book.

Football move, Defenseless player (now no longer limited to receivers)...all things that are fucking up our game.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:32 pm 

86n96 wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
We’re the past.

The author is the past.

The popularity of the NBA is exploding. TV ratings are up 30% this year, and will only continue to go up over time. They actually celebrate their superstars and embrace players with personality, whereas the NFL is all about toeing the line and saying all the right things. God forbid you step out of line and actually say what you honestly think like a Richard Sherman or Deangelo Williams. Could you imagine a Steven Adams or Joel Embiid in Roger Goodell’s NFL? Not a chance in hell. The NBA is about the drama on the court, whereas the NFL has one controversy after another off the field. Deflate-gate, Kaepernick, Zeke Elliott... non-stop. And I haven’t even mentioned the word concussion yet.

I’d much rather watch a random NBA game than a random NFL game. With all the replay horseshit and poor level of play right now, it’s not even debatable.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:36 pm 

cop1211 wrote:
I agree with the op.

Also for me the kneeling,incessant jaw jacking, pushing and shoving on every play.
The dancing , pounding of chests, on every play no matter if it’s a three yard run. Regardless if one team is getting their ass handed to them.
Now the stupid azz choreograhed “celebrations” .

I’m 45 old school kind of guy. Can’t stand loudmouths,showboating. Or blatant disrespect for this country.

The NFL is getting thin for me.
Gave up the NBA a long time due to the same reasoning.
Baseball more so due to it being boring to watch.
NHL is still good to go unfortunately living in Florida I can’t catch many Pens games.

I'm numb to all that, it doesn't bother me at all, any of that, I feel nothing, I was like that as a kid, a white kid in Western PA I got in trouble several times, in the '70s for showboating and taunting and trash talking before the pros even did it, I never even noticed it when it became common- I remember I was 17 in 1976, walked into a gym for a CYO basketball tournament stood at mid court and announced real loud, "GIVE US THE TROPHY NOW WE ALREADY WON" before the first game, LOL, man my coach was mad, but we did win, this is a white kid doing this in 1976. LMFAO. Even the anthem BS, I honestly don't care, my thought has always been why do they even do the anthem and military nonsense at sports event anyways, it has nothing to do with sports? So I just DVR the games and fast forward past that crap, so obviously the anthem protests didn't mean shit to me ether way. I'm 58 and how these young athletes act never bothered me, because I've always been just like them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:38 pm 

Baltostiller wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
Baltostiller wrote:

I prefer them "getting it right" when it comes to things like 2 feet in on a catch and fumble rulings, when it is very obvious what is the correct call.

Yeah, but you see once you give them the keys to the kingdom, they refuse to limit themselves to that, they want to micromanage it all.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:00 pm 

manofsteel wrote:
Tennis is a great sport. Fed, Nadal, Murray, Djok all set for an exciting year. Serena back. Replay system works. Just saying.

5 years ago NFL was without peer. Now just a joke of its former self.
To be fair, replay in tennis is a binary choice. No time factor. There is no interpretation.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:50 pm 

TB wrote:
86n96 wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
We’re the past.

The author is the past.

The popularity of the NBA is exploding. TV ratings are up 30% this year, and will only continue to go up over time. They actually celebrate their superstars and embrace players with personality, whereas the NFL is all about toeing the line and saying all the right things. God forbid you step out of line and actually say what you honestly think like a Richard Sherman or Deangelo Williams. Could you imagine a Steven Adams or Joel Embiid in Roger Goodell’s NFL? Not a chance in hell. The NBA is about the drama on the court, whereas the NFL has one controversy after another off the field. Deflate-gate, Kaepernick, Zeke Elliott... non-stop. And I haven’t even mentioned the word concussion yet.

I’d much rather watch a random NBA game than a random NFL game. With all the replay horseshit and poor level of play right now, it’s not even debatable.

NBA is so much better to watch right now, lots of young stars and upcoming teams. I also agree with Nick about replay, I liked it much better when it was up to the coach to challenge a play, not now when all scoring plays and turnovers are automatically reviewed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:54 pm 

Simple for me......Patriots are a dynasty, they absolutely own the Steelers, and the Steelers fans seem to care more about those 2 facts than Art2 and company.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:49 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
Simple for me......Patriots are a dynasty, they absolutely own the Steelers, and the Steelers fans seem to care more about those 2 facts than Art2 and company.

So judging by this last meeting, you don't see any improvement in how the Steelers play the Pats.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:22 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:

So judging by this last meeting, you don't see any improvement in how the Steelers play the Pats.

Sorry, but the Steelers lost...that’s all that matters. Unless you’re into moral victories, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:27 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:

Sorry, but the Steelers lost...that’s all that matters. Unless you’re into moral victories, I guess.

it really isn't though, Jobus. Steelers played Pats much tougher than usual, only lost because game was stolen from them. Hope going forward as a result.

Plus....and yes, this may be rationalizing. I think Brady increases his focus when he plays at Heinz Field. He knows it's a special place, much moreso than the hellhole he plays in. He's sometimes off in Foxboro, always on at Heinz.

And..there's the Patriots imbroglio with Alex Guerrero. It's got to piss off Brady, as it fucks with his business interests outside of football as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:37 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:

it really isn't though, Jobus. Steelers played Pats much tougher than usual, only lost because game was stolen from them. Hope going forward as a result.

Plus....and yes, this may be rationalizing. I think Brady increases his focus when he plays at Heinz Field. He knows it's a special place, much moreso than the hellhole he plays in. He's sometimes off in Foxboro, always on at Heinz.

And..there's the Patriots imbroglio with Alex Guerrero. It's got to piss off Brady, as it fucks with his business interests outside of football as well.

Point is Swiss, that doesn’t mean a thing should the teams meet again. Steelers could win, or they could lose...they could lose by 20+...
It’s pretty much a certainty that Belicheck and Ernie will study what the Steelers did to play “much tougher” and change things up to negate that/those advantages. Do you have reasonable confidence that Tomlin and his minions will be up to the task?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:43 pm 

Well....I have confidence that Steelers have the talent on their roster, and that they won't simply sit back in a zone and let Brady pick them apart. I'm NOT confident that our brain trust won't fuck up, but I'm not assuming that they will either.

I know, come game time, I'll be believing.

All that said, wouldn't be hugely surprised if it's The Fat Fuck Andy Reid, Alex Smiff, and the Kansas City Chefs coming to Heinz Field for the AFCCG. Wouldn't rule out another Steelers-Ravens war either.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:05 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Point is Swiss, that doesn’t mean a thing should the teams meet again. Steelers could win, or they could lose...they could lose by 20+...
It’s pretty much a certainty that Belicheck and Ernie will study what the Steelers did to play “much tougher” and change things up to negate that/those advantages. Do you have reasonable confidence that Tomlin and his minions will be up to the task?

Joe Haden playing. AB playing the whole game. Yeah, we could win the rematch.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:06 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Well....I have confidence that Steelers have the talent on their roster, and that they won't simply sit back in a zone and let Brady pick them apart. I'm NOT confident that our brain trust won't fuck up, but I'm not assuming that they will either.

I know, come game time, I'll be believing.

All that said, wouldn't be hugely surprised if it's The Fat Fuck Andy Reid, Alex Smiff, and the Kansas City Chefs coming to Heinz Field for the AFCCG. Wouldn't rule out another Steelers-Ravens war either.

Watching that game last week, I had the feeling that the Steelers were the better team. And throughout most of the game, they showed that they were. But when it became crunch time...time to grab a hold of the game by the throat and choke the life out of it...Mike Tomlin/Todd Haley happened.
I believe the Steelers are the better team on the field...but the Pats are a much better team on the sidelines.

And just for the record...I give the Chefs about a 15% chance of beating the Pats in the playoffs. The 2017 version of the Rats has no chance of going into NE and winning. Pretty much a given that if the Steelers are to get back to the Super Bowl, they’ll need to beat the Pats in Foxboro. Fingers crossed...