It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 am
Posts: 3765
Of course they won't do it, of course many replay obsessed fans won't agree, But this makes total sense, replay doesn't get it right, they can't even decide what right is, so...

Make "What is a Catch" a non-reviewable judgement call, like DPI or Holding, just don't go there, it would easily solve most of the anger and controversy. Sure there would be a few bad calls, a trapped ball or something here and there, but IMO there would be overall LESS controversy than there is now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7291
They should eliminate this bullshit of when possession occurs. As long as you get your feet down and ball never hits the ground, catch is good


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:50 pm
Posts: 753
swissvale72 wrote:
They should eliminate this bullshit of when possession occurs. As long as you get your feet down and ball never hits the ground, catch is good


Agree 1000%. If you have the ball and 2 feet down it is a catch. Period.

Also, in the endzone, the split second the ball crosses the goal line in your possession, Touchdown.
If you catch the ball with both feet in, touchdown play dead. Simple as that, the same as if you are a runner.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 am
Posts: 3765
Think about these plays, like James catch or Benjamin's catch yesterday, if they didn't go to review, there probably wouldn't even be a challenge! Everyone on both teams where pretty resigned to the idea that those where TDs, only because review was forced on the situation where they even reviewed.

Anyways, it's just me, but I'd rather just live with the human error to make it more ENTERTAINING, I realize most of you are more obsessed with GETTING IT RIGHT, no matter what that does to the experience of watching the game.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 am
Posts: 3765
Baltostiller wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
They should eliminate this bullshit of when possession occurs. As long as you get your feet down and ball never hits the ground, catch is good


Agree 1000%. If you have the ball and 2 feet down it is a catch. Period.

Also, in the endzone, the split second the ball crosses the goal line in your possession, Touchdown.
If you catch the ball with both feet in, touchdown play dead. Simple as that, the same as if you are a runner.


This is good too. But it's still judgment, there will still be controversy after watching it from 12 angles in super slow motion for a day in a half.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 13532
swissvale72 wrote:
They should eliminate this bullshit of when possession occurs. As long as you get your feet down and ball never hits the ground, catch is good

Exactly. In bounds both feet down; No extra "football move" required....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:02 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 6888
Nick79 wrote:
Think about these plays, like James catch or Benjamin's catch yesterday, if they didn't go to review, there probably wouldn't even be a challenge! Everyone on both teams where pretty resigned to the idea that those where TDs, only because review was forced on the situation where they even reviewed.

Anyways, it's just me, but I'd rather just live with the human error to make it more ENTERTAINING, I realize most of you are more obsessed with GETTING IT RIGHT, no matter what that does to the experience of watching the game.

I agree Nick. Make the call...live with it. I don’t think anyone would argue that the game was better before “replay” took over.

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 am
Posts: 3765
Steelafan77 wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
They should eliminate this bullshit of when possession occurs. As long as you get your feet down and ball never hits the ground, catch is good

Exactly. In bounds both feet down; No extra "football move" required....


The "survive the ground" bullshit has to go too, They are overdoing that, guys catch it run 3-4 steps in full possession, fall and they say incomplete, cost the 49ers a TD yesterday.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:47 am
Posts: 4250
Baltostiller wrote:
Also, in the endzone, the split second the ball crosses the goal line in your possession, Touchdown.
If you catch the ball with both feet in, touchdown play dead. Simple as that, the same as if you are a runner.


Works for me.

The most popular sport in the country puts a major damper on the moment for many passing TD's. Fans start going crazy for what they think is a TD but then quickly most of the cheering dies down for the review... and even if the call stands the moment never regains it's intensity.


Last edited by Havoc on Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 am
Posts: 3765
Jobus Rum wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
Think about these plays, like James catch or Benjamin's catch yesterday, if they didn't go to review, there probably wouldn't even be a challenge! Everyone on both teams where pretty resigned to the idea that those where TDs, only because review was forced on the situation where they even reviewed.

Anyways, it's just me, but I'd rather just live with the human error to make it more ENTERTAINING, I realize most of you are more obsessed with GETTING IT RIGHT, no matter what that does to the experience of watching the game.

I agree Nick. Make the call...live with it. I don’t think anyone would argue that the game was better before “replay” took over.


This is how I feel, I'm sick of watching replay stoppages in multiple sports.

One that particularly irks me is in basketball, guy hits a 3, then they decide to look at it 2-3 minutes of play later, change it to a 2 upon further review! So didn't that possibly change the coaching strategy in between? Is that getting it right?

Or another thing I hate, if the play is close, RUN TO THE LINE AND SNAP THE BALL REAL FAST! Is that getting it right? Is that allowing the game to be played by players?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 am
Posts: 3765
Havoc wrote:
Baltostiller wrote:
Also, in the endzone, the split second the ball crosses the goal line in your possession, Touchdown.
If you catch the ball with both feet in, touchdown play dead. Simple as that, the same as if you are a runner.


Works for me.

The most popular sport in the country puts a major damper on the moment for many passing TD's. Fans start going crazy for what they think is a TD but then quickly most of the cheering dies down for the review... and even if the call stands the moment never regains it's intensity. It's the NFL cold shower.


REPLAY RUINED THE SPORT...

Sorry, getting it SO RIGHT, doesn't make it better. If you even get it right at all.

But I'm in the minority, I know, most people would opposed getting rid of or even severely limiting replay. I kind of think it doesn't matter, because it seems like they get wrong often enough after further review, it would all even out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 3142
Nick79 wrote:
Think about these plays, like James catch or Benjamin's catch yesterday, if they didn't go to review, there probably wouldn't even be a challenge! Everyone on both teams where pretty resigned to the idea that those where TDs, only because review was forced on the situation where they even reviewed.

Anyways, it's just me, but I'd rather just live with the human error to make it more ENTERTAINING, I realize most of you are more obsessed with GETTING IT RIGHT, no matter what that does to the experience of watching the game.


The NFL is nothing but inconsistent in it's rulings. What every happened to INDISPUTABLE EVIDENCE to overturn the call on the field. If you can show me that in the Benjamin catch from the Bills/Pats game.

_________________
To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
- Henri Poincaré


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:07 am
Posts: 219
I propose we remove catching from the game, kickoffs, punt returns and hitting. All of these have become confounding dilemmas or problems for the league resulting in overly complicated rules, inconsistent rules and/or being neutered to the point of non-excitement. We can also remove using hands because hands only lead to problems. Then we will change the goal posts a bit and put nets on them.

We can still call it football though.

There, its a Christmas miracle. I have solved the most dire of football issues. Behold the new football.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:36 pm
Posts: 335
Nick79 wrote:
Havoc wrote:
Baltostiller wrote:
Also, in the endzone, the split second the ball crosses the goal line in your possession, Touchdown.
If you catch the ball with both feet in, touchdown play dead. Simple as that, the same as if you are a runner.


Works for me.

The most popular sport in the country puts a major damper on the moment for many passing TD's. Fans start going crazy for what they think is a TD but then quickly most of the cheering dies down for the review... and even if the call stands the moment never regains it's intensity. It's the NFL cold shower.


REPLAY RUINED THE SPORT...

Sorry, getting it SO RIGHT, doesn't make it better. If you even get it right at all.

But I'm in the minority, I know, most people would opposed getting rid of or even severely limiting replay. I kind of think it doesn't matter, because it seems like they get wrong often enough after further review, it would all even out.


I’ve grown to hate it myself. I’d rather they do away with it than keep it as it is now, for many of the reasons you’ve laid out. The delays are annoying, frustrating, infuriating, some combination of those, and in the end they overturn correct calls and refuse to overturn incorrect ones just as often as they get it right.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 am
Posts: 3765
One other thing is the emotional factor of watching the game! The elation you feel after your team makes a great play, then 2 minutes later they tell you what you saw didn't happen. now every time something good happens, you don't feel happy, you just look around looking to see if there was something wrong with what you just witnessed, you're not allowed to be excited. Then when they allow it to stand, you just feel relieved that they didn't take it from you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:22 pm
Posts: 232
Easiest solution is to have Robert Kraft sell his team, as it seems most of the controversy revolves around his team celebrating the benefit of these replay "reviews".

I mean what, like 4 or 5 times this season his team has benefited and often times at a crucial moment in a game? Not only that - but no sane person would look at each call and say they were called consistent in comparison to other teams.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:07 am
Posts: 8350
Get rid the of automatic review of all scoring plays

It’s a fucking ruse to manipulate the game

If the call on field is in question, have the opposing team challenge it

Change the challenge rule to give each team one challenge reserved for a scoring play

Let the officials make the calls


If they don’t implement this, the game is doomed. This year has proved it completely.

_________________
ImageImage
Image


Last edited by BethlehemSteel on Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 pm
Posts: 2408
30 second max on reviews.

Official gets one look at every angle once. And then additional angles for 30 seconds.

After that there a decision has to be made based on what they see.

And all reviews are done by the official and an in-house review official. Fuck New York.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23270
Take it away from New York, or vastly limit what New York can review, like the NHL.

Because Alberto Riveron is the problem...replay overturns of the call on the field have increased 20% under his tenure so far.

I find it extremely ironic...yesterday's Benjamin play was full circle, in a sense.

Replay really got its impetus from the Mel Renfro play...which was almost the same type of catch...in the same corner of the end zone...with the same toe tapping of both feet in.

The Renfro play made everyone want replay...the Benjamin play may make everyone want to kill it.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:07 am
Posts: 8350
Doesn t matter if it’s blandino now Riveron or next year the old ref from the 2006 colts game

Same result more corruptness

Get rid of the auto review and I agree with the time limit and ny “war room”

_________________
ImageImage
Image


Last edited by BethlehemSteel on Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7291
Nick79 wrote:
One other thing is the emotional factor of watching the game! The elation you feel after your team makes a great play, then 2 minutes later they tell you what you saw didn't happen. now every time something good happens, you don't feel happy, you just look around looking to see if there was something wrong with what you just witnessed, you're not allowed to be excited. Then when they allow it to stand, you just feel relieved that they didn't take it from you.

Well said, nick....that's EXACTLY what happens


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 am
Posts: 3765
Tweaking review won't really help, I guess I could be OK with only ONE challenge per game and ZERO automatic reviews. REVIEW IS THE PROBLEM. They aren't getting it right, if you weighed the convoluted bullshit that goes on for 60 minutes vs. the one or two obvious blown calls they fix on like 10% of the reviews. It causes more problems than it fixes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7291
Jeemie wrote:
Take it away from New York, or vastly limit what New York can review, like the NHL.

Because Alberto Riveron is the problem...replay overturns of the call on the field have increased 20% under his tenure so far.

I find it extremely ironic...yesterday's Benjamin play was full circle, in a sense.

Replay really got its impetus from the Mel Renfro play...which was almost the same type of catch...in the same corner of the end zone...with the same toe tapping of both feet in.

The Renfro play made everyone want replay...the Benjamin play may make everyone want to kill it.


This article reinforces some of your points, Jeems...with some bullshit thrown in. The writer, Borges, is a long-time Patriots hater:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patr ... _their_way


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 13532
Nick79 wrote:
One other thing is the emotional factor of watching the game! The elation you feel after your team makes a great play, then 2 minutes later they tell you what you saw didn't happen. now every time something good happens, you don't feel happy, you just look around looking to see if there was something wrong with what you just witnessed, you're not allowed to be excited. Then when they allow it to stand, you just feel relieved that they didn't take it from you.

Excellent post sir. To the 'T' this is exactly what unfolds. How many of us comment in the game thread every week, "who was looking for the flag there?" Every week it's the same old shit. The over officiating of the overly complicated but inconsistently implemented (by agenda or otherwise) rules have ruined the experience all together. Very Sad days in football folks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 3142
Quote:
Pereira tweeted. “It is more and more obvious that there isn’t a standard for staying with the call on the field.”


Which is exactly what I said. INDISPUTABLE EVIDENCE

_________________
To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
- Henri Poincaré


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Poltargyst and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group