It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:48 pm 

Of course they won't do it, of course many replay obsessed fans won't agree, But this makes total sense, replay doesn't get it right, they can't even decide what right is, so...

Make "What is a Catch" a non-reviewable judgement call, like DPI or Holding, just don't go there, it would easily solve most of the anger and controversy. Sure there would be a few bad calls, a trapped ball or something here and there, but IMO there would be overall LESS controversy than there is now.

Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:50 pm 

They should eliminate this bullshit of when possession occurs. As long as you get your feet down and ball never hits the ground, catch is good

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:57 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
They should eliminate this bullshit of when possession occurs. As long as you get your feet down and ball never hits the ground, catch is good

Agree 1000%. If you have the ball and 2 feet down it is a catch. Period.

Also, in the endzone, the split second the ball crosses the goal line in your possession, Touchdown.
If you catch the ball with both feet in, touchdown play dead. Simple as that, the same as if you are a runner.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:57 pm 

Think about these plays, like James catch or Benjamin's catch yesterday, if they didn't go to review, there probably wouldn't even be a challenge! Everyone on both teams where pretty resigned to the idea that those where TDs, only because review was forced on the situation where they even reviewed.

Anyways, it's just me, but I'd rather just live with the human error to make it more ENTERTAINING, I realize most of you are more obsessed with GETTING IT RIGHT, no matter what that does to the experience of watching the game.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:59 pm 

Baltostiller wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

Agree 1000%. If you have the ball and 2 feet down it is a catch. Period.

Also, in the endzone, the split second the ball crosses the goal line in your possession, Touchdown.
If you catch the ball with both feet in, touchdown play dead. Simple as that, the same as if you are a runner.

This is good too. But it's still judgment, there will still be controversy after watching it from 12 angles in super slow motion for a day in a half.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:01 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:

Exactly. In bounds both feet down; No extra "football move" required....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:02 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
Think about these plays, like James catch or Benjamin's catch yesterday, if they didn't go to review, there probably wouldn't even be a challenge! Everyone on both teams where pretty resigned to the idea that those where TDs, only because review was forced on the situation where they even reviewed.

Anyways, it's just me, but I'd rather just live with the human error to make it more ENTERTAINING, I realize most of you are more obsessed with GETTING IT RIGHT, no matter what that does to the experience of watching the game.

I agree Nick. Make the call...live with it. I don’t think anyone would argue that the game was better before “replay” took over.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:04 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

Exactly. In bounds both feet down; No extra "football move" required....

The "survive the ground" bullshit has to go too, They are overdoing that, guys catch it run 3-4 steps in full possession, fall and they say incomplete, cost the 49ers a TD yesterday.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:04 pm 

Baltostiller wrote:

Works for me.

The most popular sport in the country puts a major damper on the moment for many passing TD's. Fans start going crazy for what they think is a TD but then quickly most of the cheering dies down for the review... and even if the call stands the moment never regains it's intensity.

Last edited by Havoc on Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:08 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Nick79 wrote:

I agree Nick. Make the call...live with it. I don’t think anyone would argue that the game was better before “replay” took over.

This is how I feel, I'm sick of watching replay stoppages in multiple sports.

One that particularly irks me is in basketball, guy hits a 3, then they decide to look at it 2-3 minutes of play later, change it to a 2 upon further review! So didn't that possibly change the coaching strategy in between? Is that getting it right?

Or another thing I hate, if the play is close, RUN TO THE LINE AND SNAP THE BALL REAL FAST! Is that getting it right? Is that allowing the game to be played by players?