It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The most logical solution to "What is a Catch"?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:11 pm 

Havoc wrote:
Baltostiller wrote:
Also, in the endzone, the split second the ball crosses the goal line in your possession, Touchdown.
If you catch the ball with both feet in, touchdown play dead. Simple as that, the same as if you are a runner.

Works for me.

The most popular sport in the country puts a major damper on the moment for many passing TD's. Fans start going crazy for what they think is a TD but then quickly most of the cheering dies down for the review... and even if the call stands the moment never regains it's intensity. It's the NFL cold shower.

REPLAY RUINED THE SPORT...

Sorry, getting it SO RIGHT, doesn't make it better. If you even get it right at all.

But I'm in the minority, I know, most people would opposed getting rid of or even severely limiting replay. I kind of think it doesn't matter, because it seems like they get wrong often enough after further review, it would all even out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:20 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
Think about these plays, like James catch or Benjamin's catch yesterday, if they didn't go to review, there probably wouldn't even be a challenge! Everyone on both teams where pretty resigned to the idea that those where TDs, only because review was forced on the situation where they even reviewed.

Anyways, it's just me, but I'd rather just live with the human error to make it more ENTERTAINING, I realize most of you are more obsessed with GETTING IT RIGHT, no matter what that does to the experience of watching the game.

The NFL is nothing but inconsistent in it's rulings. What every happened to INDISPUTABLE EVIDENCE to overturn the call on the field. If you can show me that in the Benjamin catch from the Bills/Pats game.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:31 pm 

I propose we remove catching from the game, kickoffs, punt returns and hitting. All of these have become confounding dilemmas or problems for the league resulting in overly complicated rules, inconsistent rules and/or being neutered to the point of non-excitement. We can also remove using hands because hands only lead to problems. Then we will change the goal posts a bit and put nets on them.

We can still call it football though.

There, its a Christmas miracle. I have solved the most dire of football issues. Behold the new football.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:46 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
Havoc wrote:
Baltostiller wrote:
Also, in the endzone, the split second the ball crosses the goal line in your possession, Touchdown.
If you catch the ball with both feet in, touchdown play dead. Simple as that, the same as if you are a runner.

Works for me.

The most popular sport in the country puts a major damper on the moment for many passing TD's. Fans start going crazy for what they think is a TD but then quickly most of the cheering dies down for the review... and even if the call stands the moment never regains it's intensity. It's the NFL cold shower.

REPLAY RUINED THE SPORT...

Sorry, getting it SO RIGHT, doesn't make it better. If you even get it right at all.

But I'm in the minority, I know, most people would opposed getting rid of or even severely limiting replay. I kind of think it doesn't matter, because it seems like they get wrong often enough after further review, it would all even out.

I’ve grown to hate it myself. I’d rather they do away with it than keep it as it is now, for many of the reasons you’ve laid out. The delays are annoying, frustrating, infuriating, some combination of those, and in the end they overturn correct calls and refuse to overturn incorrect ones just as often as they get it right.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:07 pm 

One other thing is the emotional factor of watching the game! The elation you feel after your team makes a great play, then 2 minutes later they tell you what you saw didn't happen. now every time something good happens, you don't feel happy, you just look around looking to see if there was something wrong with what you just witnessed, you're not allowed to be excited. Then when they allow it to stand, you just feel relieved that they didn't take it from you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:12 pm 

Easiest solution is to have Robert Kraft sell his team, as it seems most of the controversy revolves around his team celebrating the benefit of these replay "reviews".

I mean what, like 4 or 5 times this season his team has benefited and often times at a crucial moment in a game? Not only that - but no sane person would look at each call and say they were called consistent in comparison to other teams.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:28 pm 

Get rid the of automatic review of all scoring plays

It’s a fucking ruse to manipulate the game

If the call on field is in question, have the opposing team challenge it

Change the challenge rule to give each team one challenge reserved for a scoring play

Let the officials make the calls

If they don’t implement this, the game is doomed. This year has proved it completely.

Last edited by BethlehemSteel on Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:30 pm 

30 second max on reviews.

Official gets one look at every angle once. And then additional angles for 30 seconds.

After that there a decision has to be made based on what they see.

And all reviews are done by the official and an in-house review official. Fuck New York.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:31 pm 

Take it away from New York, or vastly limit what New York can review, like the NHL.

Because Alberto Riveron is the problem...replay overturns of the call on the field have increased 20% under his tenure so far.

I find it extremely ironic...yesterday's Benjamin play was full circle, in a sense.

Replay really got its impetus from the Mel Renfro play...which was almost the same type of catch...in the same corner of the end zone...with the same toe tapping of both feet in.

The Renfro play made everyone want replay...the Benjamin play may make everyone want to kill it.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:33 pm 

Doesn t matter if it’s blandino now Riveron or next year the old ref from the 2006 colts game

Same result more corruptness

Get rid of the auto review and I agree with the time limit and ny “war room”

Last edited by BethlehemSteel on Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.