It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Really liked the subtle changes in the secondary...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:21 pm 

Hinestuff wrote:
Signed for 3 years 27 mill

Christ, that's GREAT news.

I was under the impression he was a free agent at the end of this year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:12 pm 

Scunge wrote:
I know there were the reports of Artie Burns getting 2nd team reps, Sutton getting first team reps, some even going as far as saying maybe they would bench Burns.

Whatever. To me all of that may have been a way for the Steelers to move around and get players lined up and comfortable in different roles on defense.

For example, this season they did not flip their CBs. Burns stayed on his side of the field, and Haden on his side. They did not have a CB who would shadow the other team's best WR. Yet, that is exactly what they did this game. Joe Haden, in a really tough matchup against Hopkins in his first game back from injury, lined up and followed Hopkins regardless of where he lined up.

That is new. That is what was needed, what was missing from this defense. We haven't had a CB who can do that since Ike Taylor.

Sure, what the Texans had out there at QB was well below the line, but I love that the team was comfortable enough in flipping their CBs.

Two weeks in a row and we see things that have gone against the grain in the secondary. Last week playing man to man 65% of the time and now this week flipping CBs and using Haden to matchup and follow the opposing teams best weapon. It makes me wonder what other things they may have under wraps. Very unusual.

Also, you see things on offense that are starting to come together. Vance McDonald. Wow, if he can stay healthy I can't help but feel that they have plays, an entire subset of an offense ready that takes advantage of his talent. It really may be possible that they were keeping things under wraps, waiting until playoff time, as hard as that is to believe. But these last two games are making me a believer.

Agree Scunge - McDonald is powerful

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:40 am 

KC, yeah there has been this narrative being spun from the beginning of when we signed him, that the Steelers were just going to keep him for this season and then cut him in 2018.

His contract was 3 years, $27 million, with only a $5.75 million signing bonus.

This season he counted only $3.2 million against the cap, his base salary was just $1.25 million.

Next season his base salary jumps to $9 million and in 2019 it will be $10 million. So, Colbert/Tomlin structured a contract that was low risk for this season but if Haden worked out then he would be paid like a mid-tier CB his final two seasons.

That $9 million per season average puts him in 17th place among CBs. I think Colbert/Tomlin are still pinching themselves that they were so fortunate to get him and that he has worked out as well as he has. Tomlin seems smitten with him quite frankly, I think he is a great lockeroom guy, great work ethic, character, Carnell Lake must love having him because he has somebody who he can point to and say there that is how you do it, the fundamentals, the technique.

Maybe Haden is not the Pro Bowl player from 3-4 years ago, but he is certainly the best CB that we have on the roster and we are not going to be able to go out in free agency and sign anybody similar for the same amount of money. Kirkpatrick who the Steelers showed interest in signed for $10.5 million per season when he resigned with Cincy. Gilmore and Bouye both signed for over $13 million per season this past year.

I will take Haden and that reduced rate of $9 million per season and be very happy about it.