It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trade Ju Ju for MLB in the Off-Season?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:25 pm 

Most draftniks felt that Juju was a bargain where the Steelers drafted him. Seeing him play - making tough catches in traffic - I see why. As goofy and funny as he is, he is very talented. His awkward silliness reminds me of The Refrigerator mania of the mid 80's. Juju is a keeper.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:12 pm 

We've been trying for approximately three/four seasons to find a legitimate #2 receiver to help take pressure off of and free up Brown. Been trying to find a #2 WR to be there when Brown gets "dinged" by a dirty hit, a game or two before the playoffs. Been trying to find a receiver with some "across the middle, between the hashes, ball skills. Some blocking skills, Some dependency.

Now we find a NO LESS than F&*%KING GEM that fills all those roles. And now we're gonna drink laced eggnog while "burn'in" scientifically bred medicinal hash and trade him away?

Com'on people; moderation & willpower is the key to preventing modern medicine overtaking your life.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:25 pm 

Uhh...no.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:49 pm 

Shazier was the 15th overall pick, so just drafting a replacement with his skills and talent is not really going to be realistic at the end of round 1. I also don't think this is a great class for ILBs, I don't see any special Shazier type of athletes.

That said, I do have my eye on one player that I was hoping the Steelers would draft even before Shazier got injured. Back when they were scouting Javon Hargrave at South Carolina State I wonder if they got some looks at then freshman ILB Darius Leonard?

Leonard is listed at 6'3" 235 and I have heard reports that he runs in the 4.6 40 area. Just like Javon though there will be people that question the level of competition but if you are to be drafted and play in the NFL you HAD BEST dominate the level of competition. So, did he?

Javon Hargrave won the 2014 and 2015 MEAC Defensive Player of the Year award and Darius Leonard won it in 2016 and 2017. For his 3 year career he had 42 tackles for loss and 13.5 sacks.

The past two seasons he had 238 tackles, 12 sacks, 4 INTs, one that he returned for a TD, he even blocked two kicks. When he is officially measured at the combine he may be smaller than that listed 6'3" 235, maybe he will be 6'2" and 230.

I was hoping that we could snag him at the end of round 2 but he may very well find himself pushed way up. You look at somebody like Hassan Reddick last year who found himself pushed all the way up to the 13th overall pick. Or look at Jarrad Davis who was pushed up to the 21st overall pick. The Steelers are not going to be able to easily draft Shazier's replacement with a late first round pick, the marquee players will be gone.

But, they might just be able to draft Leonard if he is there at the end of round 2, and he stays under the radar like Hargrave and teams are scared of the level of competition and he slides. It would be very cool to reunite those two South Carolina State team mates.

Other than that, I see no ILB free agents worthy of signing in the NFL. And most of the top names have already signed big contracts and are entrenched with their respective teams.

My idea of moving Watt to ILB I think is a great idea. Teams right now can avoid him in coverage, can minimize him, but if he were the centerpiece of your defense? If he were your ILB? Hell, your MLB? Then he becomes a force on every play. The kid is smart enough, has the instincts, the talent to do it. There might not be a better option, and it may just be the best option. Let Watt be the next Brian Urlacher and move the defense to a 4-3 and be done with it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:01 am 

A. No
B. Hell no
C. Absolutely not
D. Are you out of your ever-lovin' mind???

Hmmm, which response shall I pick?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:19 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
A. No
B. Hell no
C. Absolutely not
D. Are you out of your ever-lovin' mind???

Hmmm, which response shall I pick?

How about...
E. All of the above!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:26 am 

What I (and others) have been hoping and clamoring for since the preseason is coming together...

The offense has a chance to go on a dominant PS run.

This offense could lead the way to Lombardi #7.

No fucking way am I breaking up the potential of this offense. Not to mention, our #1 wr is injured.

Also, having that stud #2 wr is how you maximize the impact of your future HOF #1 wr vs top competition in the PS.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:01 pm 

I am not saying trade him now. I am saying trade during the draft to move up, or afterwards.

I like the idea of moving Watt. I still think having 7 makes WR development much easier. The WR coach must be special too.

Everyone on this board seems to be against this idea; when everyone moves to one side of the ship, get to the other side.

Career injuries like Ryan's are very seldom, and even more seldom before the prime of their careers. I think you have to do something significant and out of the box to reverse the loss of football capital his injury has created. Leadership, top NFL defensive speed, reckless abandon, generational player I suspect; you don't have to panic, but PS will need to address this in a significant way in the off-season.

Side note: Just learned that reckless abandon has nothing to do with wreck. Always assumed it was abandon that would probably lead you to wreck your life figuratively or literally.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:11 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
I am not saying trade him now. I am saying trade during the draft to move up, or afterwards.

I like the idea of moving Watt. I still think having 7 makes WR development much easier. The WR coach must be special too.

Everyone on this board seems to be against this idea; when everyone moves to one side of the ship, get to the other side.

Career injuries like Ryan's are very seldom, and even more seldom before the prime of their careers. I think you have to do something significant and out of the box to reverse the loss of football capital his injury has created. Leadership, top NFL defensive speed, reckless abandon, generational player I suspect; you don't have to panic, but PS will need to address this in a significant way in the off-season.

Side note: Just learned that reckless abandon has nothing to do with wreck. Always assumed it was abandon that would probably lead you to wreck your life figuratively or literally.

Eli Rogers sucked most of this year.

So did Bryant. He woke up like 2 weeks ago.

JuJu is Hines Ward in the body of Anquan Boldin.

No fucking way in hell you trade this dude. He's a future Pro Bowler.

I'll bet you are.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:12 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:

My bad, you did say off season. It's even in the thread name :shock: lol

But as I previously posted, no way I am trading a 21 yr old stud who is loved/respected by his coaches and teammates and hasn't even reached his potential. I want to build the team around guys like that, not trade them.

Also, as I mentioned, I like having that stud #2 wr to leverage impact from our #1 wr especially vs top competition in the ps.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next