It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Where's the run defense?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:45 am 

I’ve been thinking all season that Hargraves play versus the run has sucked.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:55 am 

Spence, Fort and Williams are struggling to get off blocks and fill the gaps. Spence also looks very slow. We need help and Spence isn't providing it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:20 am 

I know many on this board have questioned Hargrave's ability to play the run, but I just don't know if it is that easy to figure it out.

I mean when I am able to watch him it does seem like he is being double teamed with blockers, that is what the NT is supposed to do right? Draw two blockers?

But then when you look at the snap counts for the game, this past game against the Texans he was only on the field for 18 snaps? So Houston had 56 snaps on offense and Hargarve was on the field for 18 snaps.

I am not about to scrub film and breakdown the long runs, the successful runs that the Texans had and determine if Hargrave was on the field, but it seems to me that if your nickel back is on the field twice as much as your NT, then you were probably not in your base defense. Mike Hilton was on the field for 37 snaps out of a possible 56. And Willie Gay was on the field for 13 snaps, now was he on the field with Hilton in dime looks? Meaning 6 defensive backs in the secondary. Or was he replacing Hilton some giving him a breather? Regardless that means you have maybe two defensive linemen on the field.

The point I am trying to make is that yes, if your NT is not on the field, and you are going with a 2-4-5 or 3-2-6, if you have less big bodies on the field then the offensive line is going to have success running the ball. Big on little will win more often than not.

I agree with Tomlin though, it is better to give up some rushing yards if you are shutting down the passing game. If your offense can build a lead and the other team wants to run the ball and chew time off the clock, then more power to them.

Also, Vince and Sean Spence are going to need time to play together and get the communication down. It was not going to happen overnight, let us be realistic. Hopefully it will all come together come playoff time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:48 am 

Good post Scunge. I hope your right about Williams and Spence needing time to play together. Spence just doesn't seem to have the speed and mobility anymore after the injury. We need another Shazier.

Scunge wrote:
I know many on this board have questioned Hargrave's ability to play the run, but I just don't know if it is that easy to figure it out.

I mean when I am able to watch him it does seem like he is being double teamed with blockers, that is what the NT is supposed to do right? Draw two blockers?

But then when you look at the snap counts for the game, this past game against the Texans he was only on the field for 18 snaps? So Houston had 56 snaps on offense and Hargarve was on the field for 18 snaps.

I am not about to scrub film and breakdown the long runs, the successful runs that the Texans had and determine if Hargrave was on the field, but it seems to me that if your nickel back is on the field twice as much as your NT, then you were probably not in your base defense. Mike Hilton was on the field for 37 snaps out of a possible 56. And Willie Gay was on the field for 13 snaps, now was he on the field with Hilton in dime looks? Meaning 6 defensive backs in the secondary. Or was he replacing Hilton some giving him a breather? Regardless that means you have maybe two defensive linemen on the field.

The point I am trying to make is that yes, if your NT is not on the field, and you are going with a 2-4-5 or 3-2-6, if you have less big bodies on the field then the offensive line is going to have success running the ball. Big on little will win more often than not.

I agree with Tomlin though, it is better to give up some rushing yards if you are shutting down the passing game. If your offense can build a lead and the other team wants to run the ball and chew time off the clock, then more power to them.

Also, Vince and Sean Spence are going to need time to play together and get the communication down. It was not going to happen overnight, let us be realistic. Hopefully it will all come together come playoff time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:50 am 

We need Matakevich to get healthy in a major way.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:51 am 

Scunge wrote:

I'm not sweating the run D

Give me a D that can slow down elite qb's. I'll take my chances with the rest.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:01 am 

That's assuming the other team is one dimentional run only. Balanced play off teams will mix it up and rip you.

Havoc wrote:
Scunge wrote:

I'm not sweating the run D

Give me a D that can slow down elite qb's. I'll take my chances with the rest.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:32 am 

How about not worrying so much about run defense if the teams racking up 175 yards are only scoring 6 points.

We thought the Pats would use Lewis and Burkhead to gash us.

Lewis really did nothing and Burkhead got injured.

We aren’t going to lose to New England if they run the ball a lot.

LeBeau obsessed about run D, and then his pass D would get carved up in the post-season.

Only Chicago managed to beat us by strictly running the ball...and that was early in the season.

Not worried about run D.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"