It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 117  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: James Harrison mega merged bed wetting thread.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:54 pm
Posts: 2079
FromPittWithLove wrote:
Basic forecasting methods? You are trying to reduce every multivariable football decisions into Bayesian statistics? I'm assuming you've looked at the structure of Bayes theorem, please explain how you would reduce this particular situation to P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B). I'm really interested in your definition of P(A) and P(B) since priors are generally really difficult to determine without thousands of samples (usually why most empirical studies simulate these parameters to determine the best fit of their data). .

Football is not economics (I'm guessing that's what you work in - most scientists don't use the word forecast but I apologize if I'm off) because the variables can't be reduced the way you are describing. Maybe in terms of FG decision making but even that's not going to be a very flexible model.

The same argument above holds true for just about every modelling avenue I'm aware of - so even if this isn't about Bayes Theorem I struggle to see how we could possibly measure MT with the metric you propose.


You are taking it to literal. I believe I said Bayesian reasoning. The basic idea, which you are obviously familiar with, is that there are two things that can be true -- in the case, the possibilities are (1) James Harrison is currently better than Moats or (2) Moats is better than Harrison.

Our prior is that players that are border line HOFers are better than guys who have always been scrubs. Thus, probabilistically we can say state 1 is more likely than state 2.

The next issue is there any recent evidence that suggests the prior is wrong in this case. The relevant data is that very recently Harrison performed at a starter level, and has seemingly been better than Moats in limited snaps this season (both guys have only played somewhat limited snaps, but Harrison is the only one to make a splash play). The final piece of evidence is the decision by the coaches. I just don't weigh this evidence very highly. Coaches may believe the difference between Harrison and Moats is rather marginal, and the coaches want to develop Moats for next year. Or, maybe the coaches believe Moats is the better player. Or maybe politics played into it -- wouldn't be the first time. Or, maybe the coaches got it wrong. Regardless, don't think that decision will make me change my belief that state 1 is more likely than state 2, though it does decrease the gap.

In the same way, the fact that BB is interested in Harrison also influences the probability. Now, BB didn't have the choice of Moats or Harrison; thus, the inference from this is limited. But count this as some evidence towards state 1.

Thus, applied basic Bayesian reasoning (not the Bayes theorem) to football decision. Not that hard.

And you got me -- economics undergrad. Went to law school though and became a tax lawyer. New tax law is very interesting.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: James Harrison mega merged bed wetting thread.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:23 pm
Posts: 811
This is becoming one of the dumbest threads in SteelerFury history, all over a guy who will probably be one of the most irrelevant players in the post season. Hard to believe over 100 pages of this BS.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: James Harrison mega merged bed wetting thread.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 am
Posts: 9019
He wont be irrelevant at all, he'll have a key sack or 2. Book it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: James Harrison mega merged bed wetting thread.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:23 pm
Posts: 811
Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many 100 page threads this site has had other than game threads. I've been here since the old site and can't recall many. Swiss or Jeems maybe can remember, but I am thinking this could be a record. :o


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: James Harrison mega merged bed wetting thread.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:26 pm
Posts: 4117
Jeemie wrote:
steel wrote:
I think that is a pretty sound conclusion. Tomlin has a history of making personnel decisions based on hometown favoritism.


Please document this history.


the dog beater, for one


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: James Harrison mega merged bed wetting thread.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:26 pm
Posts: 4117
Zeke5123 wrote:
FromPittWithLove wrote:
Basic forecasting methods? You are trying to reduce every multivariable football decisions into Bayesian statistics? I'm assuming you've looked at the structure of Bayes theorem, please explain how you would reduce this particular situation to P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B). I'm really interested in your definition of P(A) and P(B) since priors are generally really difficult to determine without thousands of samples (usually why most empirical studies simulate these parameters to determine the best fit of their data). .

Football is not economics (I'm guessing that's what you work in - most scientists don't use the word forecast but I apologize if I'm off) because the variables can't be reduced the way you are describing. Maybe in terms of FG decision making but even that's not going to be a very flexible model.

The same argument above holds true for just about every modelling avenue I'm aware of - so even if this isn't about Bayes Theorem I struggle to see how we could possibly measure MT with the metric you propose.


You are taking it to literal. I believe I said Bayesian reasoning. The basic idea, which you are obviously familiar with, is that there are two things that can be true -- in the case, the possibilities are (1) James Harrison is currently better than Moats or (2) Moats is better than Harrison.

Our prior is that players that are border line HOFers are better than guys who have always been scrubs. Thus, probabilistically we can say state 1 is more likely than state 2.

The next issue is there any recent evidence that suggests the prior is wrong in this case. The relevant data is that very recently Harrison performed at a starter level, and has seemingly been better than Moats in limited snaps this season (both guys have only played somewhat limited snaps, but Harrison is the only one to make a splash play). The final piece of evidence is the decision by the coaches. I just don't weigh this evidence very highly. Coaches may believe the difference between Harrison and Moats is rather marginal, and the coaches want to develop Moats for next year. Or, maybe the coaches believe Moats is the better player. Or maybe politics played into it -- wouldn't be the first time. Or, maybe the coaches got it wrong. Regardless, don't think that decision will make me change my belief that state 1 is more likely than state 2, though it does decrease the gap.

In the same way, the fact that BB is interested in Harrison also influences the probability. Now, BB didn't have the choice of Moats or Harrison; thus, the inference from this is limited. But count this as some evidence towards state 1.

Thus, applied basic Bayesian reasoning (not the Bayes theorem) to football decision. Not that hard.

And you got me -- economics undergrad. Went to law school though and became a tax lawyer. New tax law is very interesting.


But Zeke, you're leaving out a very key point

Moats played 96 FUCKING SNAPS on special teams this year!!

How the fuck could we EVER replace that type of unbelievable football production??

Harrison might be a HOF outside LBer, but WHAT ABOUT SPECIAL TEAMS!!!

Without Moats, we'd probably give up a TD on every kickoff, because then we'd be FORCED TO PLAY WITH ONLY 10 GUYS -- because surely, there is NO ONE ELSE on the roster who can take over Moats' fucking role on special teams!

Without Moats, our season WOULD BE FUCKING DOOMED!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: James Harrison mega merged bed wetting thread.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 22684
steel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
steel wrote:
I think that is a pretty sound conclusion. Tomlin has a history of making personnel decisions based on hometown favoritism.


Please document this history.


the dog beater, for one


Yep- we only picked up Vick because he was a homeboy.

RIIIGHT.

Name a QB that was available at the time that would have been a better choice than Vick, and why you think that alternative would have been better.

_________________
“Your ability to think concisely, your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: James Harrison mega merged bed wetting thread.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:28 pm
Posts: 3765
StillerDownSouth wrote:
Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many 100 page threads this site has had other than game threads. I've been here since the old site and can't recall many. Swiss or Jeems maybe can remember, but I am thinking this could be a record. :o


They merged a bunch of threads into this one.

_________________
Because Tomlin.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: James Harrison mega merged bed wetting thread.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 15858
Milledgeville is one that was equally long.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: James Harrison mega merged bed wetting thread.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9279
I suppose it has been mentioned that the team broke the franchise sack record this season.

I can see being the argument that Harrison may have strengthened the Pats.

But those complaining about JH riding pine...team broke its sack record without JH doing much.

_________________
TB wrote:
Breaking news: Tom Brady is also better than Ben Roethlisberger. Jerry Rice is better than Antonio Brown. Your mom is a bigger slut than my mom.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 117  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group