It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin Tuesday....
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:21 pm 

Obviously wrote:
Bill Belichick ok'd taking on James Harrison. That's all I need to know that the man is still viable and contribute. Belichick has made Tomlin look like a mental midget every single their teams have played since 2013. Funny as fuck some here trust Tomlin's judgment over Belichick's.

BB cut a young draft pick LB under 25 who was considered a good prospect to make room for a 39 year old

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:27 pm 

BethlehemSteel wrote:
Obviously wrote:
Bill Belichick ok'd taking on James Harrison. That's all I need to know that the man is still viable and contribute. Belichick has made Tomlin look like a mental midget every single their teams have played since 2013. Funny as fuck some here trust Tomlin's judgment over Belichick's.

BB cut a young draft pick LB under 25 who was considered a good prospect to make room for a 39 year old

Really? Doesn't he know that the Steelers can sign him and learn all of the Patriots inside information? Bad move by the Pats.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:28 pm 

StillerInCT wrote:
Obviously wrote:

I really don't think Belichick is that great of a talent evaluator though. Just look at his draft record.

The Patriot's do this constantly - take a flier on an aging vet - with mixed results. For every hit, there are 5 misses. It's a really good strategy overall - low risk with the potential of finding a key role player. This year alone, they've grabbed Bennett, Britt, and now JH during the season. Bennett is already gone and Britt has been less than stellar so far. I wouldn't look at the Pats grabbing JH as evidence that he can still play - it's just how the they operate. We'll see.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:34 pm 

Miter Saw wrote:
fortythree wrote:
Kinda stupid to play to win when the team stands no chance of beating New England now that James Harrison is on their team.

Once he teaches the Patriots the Steelers secret handshake it's all over!

Lot of cute remarks, but I have yet to hear someone explain how the release of Harrison benefits this Steeler team, short term or long term.

I've heard good arguments as to why it doesn't help...depth at pass-rusher position. But nothing of substance as to the benefit.

Please enlighten me.

I can guarantee you that this is how it went:

James Harrison: I'm not happy with my playing time. I wouldn't have resigned here if I knew I wasn't going to play. Coach T, I'd really appreciate you giving me the opportunity to catch on elsewhere before I retire.
Mike: Alright James.

The benefit is not holding one of your most storied franchise players hostage to ride the bench, when you were not using him (and were not going to use him) anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:56 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
'We're going to play to win'....

Ummm, I hope so....they could still get the #1 seed, no matter how unlikely NYJ beating NE may be it is still >0.

More rocket science from Mr. Cliche. I bet his gut told him they should play to win this week.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:58 pm 

SteelKnife wrote:
The benefit is not holding one of your most storied franchise players hostage to ride the bench, when you were not using him (and were not going to use him) anyway.

Sorry, but it's a business. If he could possibly end-up helping your primary competition for the SB, then he rides the bench and grumbles all the way to the bank cashing those big checks. Release him at the end of the year (though I think he was going to be a FA).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:00 pm 

SteelKnife wrote:
Miter Saw wrote:
fortythree wrote:
Kinda stupid to play to win when the team stands no chance of beating New England now that James Harrison is on their team.

Once he teaches the Patriots the Steelers secret handshake it's all over!

Lot of cute remarks, but I have yet to hear someone explain how the release of Harrison benefits this Steeler team, short term or long term.

I've heard good arguments as to why it doesn't help...depth at pass-rusher position. But nothing of substance as to the benefit.

Please enlighten me.

James Harrison: I'm not happy with my playing time. I wouldn't have resigned here if I knew I wasn't going to play. Coach T, I'd really appreciate you giving me the opportunity to catch on elsewhere before I retire.

Let's hope it wasn't as simple as that....with Harrison then free to add to the depth of the major obstacle between the Steelers and a Super Bowl berth. If that was the case, answer to Harrison should have been the same as it was to Bryant.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:06 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
SteelKnife wrote:

Let's hope it wasn't as simple as that....with Harrison then free to add to the depth of the major obstacle between the Steelers and a Super Bowl berth. If that was the case, answer to Harrison should have been the same as it was to Bryant.

Agreed

I hope he does not help them on the field.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:09 pm 

Havoc wrote:
Agreed

I hope he does not help them on the field.

I hope he gets too eager in practice to earn his way onto the field, and wrecks Brady :D

Or somehow pulls the ultimate heel act to help the NYJ steal a win, to make-up for PIT getting hosed against NE.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:16 pm 

Can't win. People here raged when we cut a legend; people not happy if we cut him because we were respecting his wishes. "It's a business" cuts both ways. He wasn't very good when he played this year, and there's no reason to suspect he would have been good this year with more time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next