It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question as to How the Cap Works - Rookie Options
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:11 pm 

As I am bored at work, my mind randomly thought of this as it pertains to Ryan Shazier. Shazier is still on his rookie deal and the Steelers picked up his 5th year option. Now, the injury happened this year. The option year becomes fully guaranteed on Day 1 of the 2018 NFL calendar year. Does this pre-existing injury ensure him the full option?

Quote:
LB Ryan Shazier signed a 4 year, $9,507,204 contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers on June 6, 2014. Shazier received a signing bonus worth $5,234,328. The contract is fully guaranteed. The Steelers picked up the fifth year option on Shazier for 2018. The one year $8.718 million contract is guaranteed for injury and will become fully guaranteed on the first day of the 2018 league year.

https://overthecap.com/player/ryan-shazier/2954/

Post subject: Re: Question as to How the Cap Works - Rookie Options
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:09 pm 

I think all of this is a moot point.

If you really think that the Steelers would look for a way to get out from paying Shazier then you must not know this team very well, or at all.

I think that they would have signed him to that 5th year option even after he got injured. That is the way this team rolls.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:53 am 

Scunge wrote:
I think all of this is a moot point.

If you really think that the Steelers would look for a way to get out from paying Shazier then you must not know this team very well, or at all.

I think that they would have signed him to that 5th year option even after he got injured. That is the way this team rolls.

This is not what I am implying at all, I was just wondering in this circumstance since the injury happened before the start of the 2018 NFL calendar year if the option is still guaranteed.

I would have done exactly what you suggest the Steelers would do.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:23 am 

Sorry, smokin, I got into this earlier last week with a couple of knuckleheads here in the 'Burgh, did not mean to imply you were one of 'them'.

Yeah, I honestly think that the Steelers would have picked up that 5th year option even after the injury, I still think there is hope that he may play again. He was one of the most incredible athletes I have ever seen, physically just top notch, who is to say he may not make a full recovery? And even if he does not make a full recovery that money will help him transition into life after football.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:34 am 

If I understand the below correctly, the Steelers can pick-up Shazier's option, pay him in full, and receive a salary cap exemption....but only Roger can grant it. I'd be willing to bet this is exactly what happens. Real shame for a guy who was on his way to a $50M+ contract, but it's another $8.7M on top of his $9.5M rookie contract.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/201 ... erson.html

"The Exempt List is a special player status available to clubs only in unusual circumstances. The List includes those players who have been declared by the Commissioner to be temporarily exempt from counting within the Active List limit. Only the Commissioner has the authority to place a player on the Exempt List; clubs have no such authority, and no exemption, regardless of circumstances, is automatic. The Commissioner also has the authority to determine in advance whether a player's time on the Exempt List will be finite or will continue until the Commissioner deems the exemption should be lifted and the player returned to the Active List."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:36 am 

Really hate that for Shazier. And not just his year is over. But his career is threatened now.