It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More redux...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:47 am 

Okay...I'm admittedly having trouble shutting the fuck up this week. So.....couple redux thoughts....

*Plenty of people on this esteemed website were pissed off at the way Santonio Holmes left the Steelers....his Wake & Bake, his defiance, his non-participation. That was off-season though. I've oft-said that as a Pittsburgh Steeler fan, I'll be forever indebted to Santonio Holmes.

That said, if there's remaining angst toward Holmes, think about him in light of all the recent NFL bullshit about catches, possession, ball movement, etc. Not JUST his SB-winning catch, but also the catch that beat the Ravens in Baltimore in Week 15, clinching the Norf for the Steelers....neither of those catches are catches if the ball doesn't absolutely stick to Santonio's hands, if there's the slightest hint of a bobble. Both fantastic coaches.

*The upcoming AFCCG, if in Foxboro, is going to be '74 AFCCG Redux, including "The Best Team in Football is in this Room!" This will be the modern day version....'74 Steelers lost to the Raiders in Pittsburgh, then beat them in the Oakland Alameda Coliseum. There's parallels here.

Post subject: Re: More redux...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:49 am 

Did the Raiders have all kinds of ways to use technology to cheat their asses off at home?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:54 am 

fortythree wrote:
Did the Raiders have all kinds of ways to use technology to cheat their asses off at home?

Weren't they the team that had guys climb up into trees to spy on potential opponents' practice facilities?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:55 am 

Jeemie wrote:
fortythree wrote:

Weren't they the team that had guys climb up into trees to spy on potential opponents' practice facilities?

I dunno. I was -11 years old in 1974.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:08 am 

fortythree wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
fortythree wrote:

I dunno. I was -11 years old in 1974.

That's funny... I was +11 in '75

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:30 am 

Sadly, in July of 1974 I turned 1. I say sadly because I would of loved seeing that group tear up the 70's live, in person.
Today's NFL is just a farce of what it used to be.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:35 am 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Sadly, in July of 1974 I turned 1. I say sadly because I would of loved seeing that group tear up the 70's live, in person.

I was 7 in 1974.

I remember the tail end of that great 1970s run with scattered memories of the early seasons.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:08 am 

I dunno. I was -11 years old in 1974.[/quote]
That's funny... I was +11 in '75[/quote]

I was born.

I remember by the early 80s having watched all the NFL films VHS recaps of all the Superbowls to that point. My dad would get them for me at the library. I studied everything I possibly could Steelers/Superbowls.

Swiss, I hope you're right my man. I don't know if I could handle losing to those fuckers again.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:30 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
neither of those catches are catches if the ball doesn't absolutely stick to Santonio's hands, if there's the slightest hint of a bobble. Both fantastic coaches..

It was a bit of a clumsy move by James letting his left elbow (hitting the ground) jar the ball free from his left hand. Lack of body awareness/control. You can't do that. You have to hang onto that football with a pair of vice grips and for dear life. Period.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:48 am 

Jeemie wrote:

I was 7 in 1974.

I remember the tail end of that great 1970s run with scattered memories of the early seasons.

I was a few weeks shy of 20. The '74 AFCCG, in my opinion, remains the most compelling, most significant Steeler game of all time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:55 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

I was 7 in 1974.

I was a few weeks shy of 20. The '74 AFCCG, in my opinion, remains the most compelling, most significant Steeler game of all time.

I remember Joe Greene saying when Noll had them in the locker room and said his "best team in the NFL is sitting in this room", he was ready to strap on the helmet and pads and play the Raiders right then and there.

Also said the '74 AFCCG was the only time he was ever "in the zone". I remember watching a YouTube of the game. I was impressed with how "businesslike" the Steelers appeared in that game, seeing as they were still a reasonably young team and how they were experiencing AFCCG success for the first time. And yet they were trailing that game 10-3 into the 4th Quarter until they exploded at the end...but they never looked worried.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:54 pm 

I was 10

74-64=10

Being good at numbers like this example paved the way for a career in accounting

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:12 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:
I was 10

74-64=10

Being good at numbers like this example paved the way for a career in accounting

But did you ever work in a bank?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:12 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:17 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:
I was 10

74-64=10

But did you ever work in a bank?

No.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:43 pm 

I remember running defensive stunts in gym class, lining up in the A gap like Mean Joe.

Then Kill The Man With The Ball during recess. Everyone wanted to slam the weaker kids into the curb. Then Jumping on the pile.

I don't remember pee wee football then. Did it exist?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:46 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
I remember running defensive stunts in gym class, lining up in the A gap like Mean Joe.

Then Kill The Man With The Ball during recess. Everyone wanted to slam the weaker kids into the curb. Then Jumping on the pile.

Yes. I played my first year of pee wee in, I think, 1969.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:52 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:

We called it Smear the Queer... seriously

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:58 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:

We called it Smear the Queer... seriously

Yep. However too offensive a game name in today’s world.

It’s no longer played. Too rough.

Kids would rather play games on their phones and get on Instagram.

Sissy generation. Sad.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:02 pm 

This is hilarious.

When reminiscing about Kill The Man With The Ball with my wife's second cousin, who used to play rugby in college, he mentioned that they called it Smear The Queer on the west coast.

I lost it laughing. That was a long time ago, but the alliteration and choice of words were too much. . .To not laugh

Last edited by COR-TEN on Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:09 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
This is hilarious.

When reminiscing about Kill The Man With The Ball with my wife's second cousin, who used to play rugby in college, he mentioned that they called it Smear The Queer on the west coast.

I lost it laughing. That was a long time ago, but the alliteration and choice of words were too much. . .

I grew up in NJ. We played that game often and usually at recess before the pussification of our current society took place.

We used both names when referring to “that barbaric playground game.”

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:11 pm 

We called it Kill the man in NJ.

In my neighborhood, we played a game called "Fumblebee". We'd all line up in row and somebody would roll the ball out about 30 feet and yell "FUMBLE". A mad dash, followed by wrestling and a huge pileup would ensue. I'm pretty sure that I have CTE now because of this very game.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:11 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:

I was playing "midget football" at 8 in 1955....Aliquippa, PA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:13 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:

Yes. I played my first year of pee wee in, I think, 1969.
Baseball in my youth was much more prevalent. Little league, etc. With Roberto Clemente, Willie Stargell, etc.

My mother had a cleaning lady that some kind of connection with Rennie Stennett - relatives of some sort. I aways wondered why she was a cleaning lady once a week with such famous relatives. That just goes to show you how much they earned back then.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:13 pm 

TTP wrote:
We called it Kill the man in NJ.

In my neighborhood, we played a game called "Fumblebee". We'd all line up in row and somebody would roll the ball out about 30 feet and yell "FUMBLE". A mad dash, followed by wrestling and a huge pileup would ensue. I'm pretty sure that I have CTE now because of this very game.

Ha! Also called it that as well! Kill the man that is...

Never heard of fumblebee