It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: More redux...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 22674
Miter Saw wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Loving this thread.

Anyone ever play "Spread Eagle" at recess?

We used tennis and racket balls.

Group of dudes would hurl a ball at the wall and if you tried to catch it on the rebound and dropped it, you had to go to the wall and spread eagle facing the crowd with arms behind your head. Dude whose throw you failed to rebound would try to nail you in the genitals with the ball.


We called it wall ball.

Guess we just weren't very creative.


We called it wall ball as well.

_________________
“Your ability to think concisely, your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More redux...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:36 pm
Posts: 144
Havoc wrote:
We called it "smear"

Another game we played and this was during winter up north. I remember being on an icy driveway at night. We are all dressed in heavy winter coats and winter gear. It was every man for himself. We had a basketball and we had to try to make a shot. But there were no rules LOL No such thing as a foul. Anything goes. There was something funny about seeing your buddy take a punch in the ribs while shooting the basketball LOL all in the name of competition of course.

We did that too, but not on ice or asphalt. Called it "tackle basketball." I don't think there was any punching, but there was tackling, wrestling, taking the ball, etc. It was teams, usually 2 against 2. Sometimes 2 on 1 if there was an age difference. The offensive player didn't have to dribble, and it was a live ball after a basket; whoever gets the ball didn't have to take it "out" or anything. The best play was having one player hold down both players on the other team, while his teammate was under the basket scoring point after point until somebody could get free.

And we called the other game "smear the queer" or "tackle the man with the ball."

_________________
Man, come on, I had a rough night and I hate the fuckin' Eagles, man!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More redux...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:12 pm
Posts: 1719
What a great thread. We played all these games (smear the queer, prison ball, king of the mountain).

We would also just make up games on the fly involving kicking each other's asses using whatever resources were available to us. One of our favorite summertime go-tos involved a football, trampoline, and sprinkler. A guy on the ground would throw a pass about 15-20 feet above the trampoline surface, 2 soaking wet guys on the soaking wet trampoline would go after that pass. No rules. I remember 2 broken arms and one dislocated hip (none happening to me, fortunately) from guys falling 20-25 feet and landing either on the ground or hitting the edge of the trampoline. Good times!

_________________
Get well soon, Matt Murray


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More redux...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:10 am
Posts: 574
R S wrote:
I grew up in PA, we called it smear the queer. I never heard it called anything else.


I grew up in Pittsburgh.
we called it one of 2 things:
smear the queer
kill the man


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More redux...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 1553
Jeemie wrote:
Miter Saw wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Loving this thread.

Anyone ever play "Spread Eagle" at recess?

We used tennis and racket balls.

Group of dudes would hurl a ball at the wall and if you tried to catch it on the rebound and dropped it, you had to go to the wall and spread eagle facing the crowd with arms behind your head. Dude whose throw you failed to rebound would try to nail you in the genitals with the ball.


We called it wall ball.

Guess we just weren't very creative.


We called it wall ball as well.

We called it Buns Up - in our version, if you dropped it, you could run and touch the wall before someone hit it with the racket ball. If you didn't make it, you had to bend over in front of the wall. I remember playing this game mostly in a friend's driveway off the garage door.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More redux...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:16 pm
Posts: 6427
Guess it’s “Smear the LGBT kid” now......I’ve lost touch

_________________
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GflYTviOIag


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More redux...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7230
BarryFoster wrote:
Guess it’s “Smear the LGBT kid” now......I’ve lost touch



...don't forget the QQ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More redux...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 15790
steelhope wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
I remember running defensive stunts in gym class, lining up in the A gap like Mean Joe.

Then Kill The Man With The Ball during recess. Everyone wanted to slam the weaker kids into the curb. Then Jumping on the pile.

I don't remember pee wee football then. Did it exist?


I was playing "midget football" at 8 in 1955....Aliquippa, PA

Did you play with Ditka? About the right timeframe, yeah?

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More redux...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 15790
We called it kill the man and smear the queer

Played on red dog, grass, dirt, mud, snow, ice

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More redux...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:46 pm
Posts: 175
bradshaw2ben wrote:
steelhope wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
I remember running defensive stunts in gym class, lining up in the A gap like Mean Joe.

Then Kill The Man With The Ball during recess. Everyone wanted to slam the weaker kids into the curb. Then Jumping on the pile.

I don't remember pee wee football then. Did it exist?


I was playing "midget football" at 8 in 1955....Aliquippa, PA

Did you play with Ditka? About the right timeframe, yeah?


I think he was a cheerleader? Kidding
He was drafted (NFL) in 61.....I was 14


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Jobus Rum, Quixotic and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group