It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: More redux...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:18 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:

*The upcoming AFCCG, if in Foxboro, is going to be '74 AFCCG Redux, including "The Best Team in Football is in this Room!" This will be the modern day version....'74 Steelers lost to the Raiders in Pittsburgh, then beat them in the Oakland Alameda Coliseum. There's parallels here.

My only gripe with the parallel is that Mike Tomlin is on the sidelines instead of Chuck Noll. Also, Noll didn't have a history of getting spanked by John Madden.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:32 pm 

Obviously wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

*The upcoming AFCCG, if in Foxboro, is going to be '74 AFCCG Redux, including "The Best Team in Football is in this Room!" This will be the modern day version....'74 Steelers lost to the Raiders in Pittsburgh, then beat them in the Oakland Alameda Coliseum. There's parallels here.

My only gripe with the parallel is that Mike Tomlin is on the sidelines instead of Chuck Noll. Also, Noll didn't have a history of getting spanked by John Madden.

I'm well aware… Looking to change that story. Noll had lost the last two in Madden not that that's a pattern

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:36 pm 

Obviously wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

Tomlin actually has a better record in the NFL than Noll. Was there any team as dominant as the Patriots in the Noll era? other than the Steelers?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:40 pm 

VASteelerGuy wrote:
Obviously wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

Tomlin actually has a better record in the NFL than Noll. Was there any team as dominant as the Patriots in the Noll era? other than the Steelers?

Tomlin inherited bill cowers team; noll inherited Bill Austin's team. Nolls 1-13 First year record was hard to overcome. Raiders dolphins in cowboys all could have been contenders for patriot like success were it not for Nolls Steelers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:03 pm 

[qu
My only gripe with the parallel is that Mike Tomlin is on the sidelines instead of Chuck Noll. Also, Noll didn't have a history of getting spanked by John Madden.[/quote]

Tomlin actually has a better record in the NFL than Noll. Was there any team as dominant as the Patriots in the Noll era? other than the Steelers?[/quote]
Tomlin inherited bill cowers team; noll inherited Bill Austin's team. Nolls 1-13 First year record was hard to overcome. Raiders dolphins in cowboys all could have been contenders for patriot like success were it not for Nolls Steelers[/quote]

yes..nolls first was a stat killer..ill throw in oilers as a team whom coulda won a couple bowls too cept for steelers... no doubt raiders and broncos stole bowls we coulda won.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:15 pm 

VASteelerGuy wrote:
Obviously wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

Please don't tell me you're actually entertaining the idea that Mike Tomlin is as good as Chuck Noll.

To answer your question, the level of competition was far greater when Noll's teams were playing. The AFC Central alone had three exceptional teams in the Steelers, Oilers and Bengals. Add to that the Raiders, Vikings, Dolphins, Rams and the team the Steelers beat twice in the Super Bowl - the Dallas Cowboys. Tomlin's Steelers beat the Arizona Cardinals. Barely.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:58 pm 

*The upcoming AFCCG, if in Foxboro, is going to be '74 AFCCG Redux, including "The Best Team in Football is in this Room!" This will be the modern day version....'74 Steelers lost to the Raiders in Pittsburgh, then beat them in the Oakland Alameda Coliseum. There's parallels here.[/quote]

My only gripe with the parallel is that Mike Tomlin is on the sidelines instead of Chuck Noll. Also, Noll didn't have a history of getting spanked by John Madden.[/quote]

Tomlin actually has a better record in the NFL than Noll. Was there any team as dominant as the Patriots in the Noll era? other than the Steelers?[/quote]

Please don't tell me you're actually entertaining the idea that Mike Tomlin is as good as Chuck Noll.

To answer your question, the level of competition was far greater when Noll's teams were playing. The AFC Central alone had three exceptional teams in the Steelers, Oilers and Bengals. Add to that the Raiders, Vikings, Dolphins, Rams and the team the Steelers beat twice in the Super Bowl - the Dallas Cowboys. Tomlin's Steelers beat the Arizona Cardinals. Barely.[/quote]

hey..u failed to mention browns. who had some better then decent teams in 70s.. oilers were bad till mid-late 70s..bengals with Anderson at qb very good..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:17 pm 

In 74 we did not know what it felt like to be a Super Bowl team, that team defined the process and the route and once established the team knew what it took to get back there and win it again. The 76 team had almost all the elements, the losing streak and the roadblock being Oakland kept us out of the Super Bowl that year. The pattern in the league then was one team rising above several damn good teams to win the Super Bowl and only the best of those repeated. After drugs and the World Football League undercut the Dolphins the Steelers rose up and dominated the league. The Steelers had the greatest array of talent in modern history and they played pure straight great football, the embodiment of how the game was supposed to have been played. Noll built it and held the conductor's baton.

Just like 74 we do not know what a Tomlin SB team feels like. The previous teams he took to the Super Bowl were fully stocked. He did a good job with the winning hand he was dealt. The deck has been reshuffled and this is now his team. This team has some indications that it's a championship squad but this team also has some flaws that can undermine it, and that sounds so typical of Mike Tomlin the man.

Ben is playing the best football of his career he's got more weapons than we have probably ever had in the garage and the defense has some damn good players, some tough kids and should be good enough to win. But this is a Tomlin team. We had home field in the palm of our hands and we lost it not by something the other team did but by what we failed to do. That is not a championship squad as we defined it according to Noll but maybe that's a championship squad as we will define it according to Tomlin. We cut a player who is a legend and created an epic public relations failure and may or may not have improved the roster of our chief rival for the AFC berth in the Super Bowl. Again, Noll would not have done this but this is a Tomlin team and we don't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing or nothing.

One thing we know for certain if Mike can pull it off and win the Super Bowl then he deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence as Noll. Right now he still several bricks shy of having Noll's status.

There is something that we can't define going on with the league and with the Patriots. It has odor, corruption and unholiness written all over it. There is an illogical disconnect creating a dissonance, catches that are not catches, touchdowns that aren't touchdowns, holding and facemasks infractions that aren't holding and facemask infractions, and the craziest one of them all. Pure unadulterated alpha males being manipulated into being beta social justice warriors. Even the league is off its axis.

I hope Mike pulls it off.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:03 pm 

Old School Steeler wrote:
In 74 we did not know what it felt like to be a Super Bowl team, that team defined the process and the route and once established the team knew what it took to get back there and win it again. The 76 team had almost all the elements, the losing streak and the roadblock being Oakland kept us out of the Super Bowl that year. The pattern in the league then was one team rising above several damn good teams to win the Super Bowl and only the best of those repeated. After drugs and the World Football League undercut the Dolphins the Steelers rose up and dominated the league. The Steelers had the greatest array of talent in modern history and they played pure straight great football, the embodiment of how the game was supposed to have been played. Noll built it and held the conductor's baton.

Just like 74 we do not know what a Tomlin SB team feels like. The previous teams he took to the Super Bowl were fully stocked. He did a good job with the winning hand he was dealt. The deck has been reshuffled and this is now his team. This team has some indications that it's a championship squad but this team also has some flaws that can undermine it, and that sounds so typical of Mike Tomlin the man.

Ben is playing the best football of his career he's got more weapons than we have probably ever had in the garage and the defense has some damn good players, some tough kids and should be good enough to win. But this is a Tomlin team. We had home field in the palm of our hands and we lost it not by something the other team did but by what we failed to do. That is not a championship squad as we defined it according to Noll but maybe that's a championship squad as we will define it according to Tomlin. We cut a player who is a legend and created an epic public relations failure and may or may not have improved the roster of our chief rival for the AFC berth in the Super Bowl. Again, Noll would not have done this but this is a Tomlin team and we don't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing or nothing.

One thing we know for certain if Mike can pull it off and win the Super Bowl then he deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence as Noll. Right now he still several bricks shy of having Noll's status.

There is something that we can't define going on with the league and with the Patriots. It has odor, corruption and unholiness written all over it. There is an illogical disconnect creating a dissonance, catches that are not catches, touchdowns that aren't touchdowns, holding and facemasks infractions that aren't holding and facemask infractions, and the craziest one of them all. Pure unadulterated alpha males being manipulated into being beta social justice warriors. Even the league is off its axis.

Great post. I hope he does, too. In fact, I WANT to mention Tomlin's name up there with Chuck Noll. There's no way I can right now.

By the way, I'm not so sure the Patriots have been dominant this decade as the VA guy says. They have been with the Steelers, but the two Super Bowls they've won this decade were because of idiotic coaching/decision making on both Seattle and Atlanta. I may be down on Tomlin, but I would take him over Carroll or Quinn. The Patriots can be had. Tom Coughlin knows how to do it. So does John Harbaugh. Hell, even Gary Kubiak, John Fox and Rex Ryan did it. Why can't Tomlin figure it out? That's my question.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:05 pm 

Obviously wrote:
Old School Steeler wrote:

Great post. I hope he does, too. In fact, I WANT to mention Tomlin's name up there with Chuck Noll. There's no way I can right now.

By the way, I'm not so sure the Patriots have been dominant this decade as the VA guy says. They have been with the Steelers, but the two Super Bowls they've won this decade were because of idiotic coaching/decision making on both Seattle and Atlanta. I may be down on Tomlin, but I would take him over Carroll or Quinn. The Patriots can be had. Tom Coughlin knows how to do it. So does John Harbaugh. Hell, even Gary Kubiak, John Fox and Rex Ryan did it. Why can't Tomlin figure it out? That's my question.

He hasn't had the players to do it, but I think he does this year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next