It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: NFL.com October article:Ben Roethlisberger's not a top-1
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:37 am
Posts: 1535
steelmann58 wrote:
Ben got hot just at the correct time


You mean the entire second half of the year?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL.com October article:Ben Roethlisberger's not a top-1
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 12074
TB wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
All that said, these last 10 games since the JAX debacle have been as good as any 10-game stretch I've seen in Ben's entire career - first ballot HOFer Ben nearly every play, nearly every week in that span.


Starting at the Titans game and up through now, I think he's probably playing the best football of his career.


Hell, he had that stretch of 3 straight games where he was mediocre against CHI and BAL, and bad (more unlucky) against JAX....the rest of the season he's played at an MVP level pretty much every game (except DET).

2:1 TD/INT ratio would be historically quite good, but fairly average in today's NFL. JJ's catch is ruled a TD against NE and I think Ben would deserve the MVP. And forget the passes he missed the first half of the year, think what his numbers would be if the receivers got half of what they missed those games.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL.com October article:Ben Roethlisberger's not a top-1
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:48 am
Posts: 1115
Really no reason to listen to anything Schein says. He is a typical reactionary sensationalist sports show loser, with a giant grouper fish mouth.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL.com October article:Ben Roethlisberger's not a top-1
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:18 pm
Posts: 12083
Still gotta wonder why such an incredible player got off to such a shitty start.

He flat-out didn't look very engaged. Not sure if he was fighting with Haley, his wife or what, but Ben looked very, very out of it early in the season.

_________________
86n96 wrote:
I might've finally been right about something.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL.com October article:Ben Roethlisberger's not a top-1
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:59 pm
Posts: 258
Fake news....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL.com October article:Ben Roethlisberger's not a top-1
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 150
If you take away his really long passes, he is just average. - Willie Parker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL.com October article:Ben Roethlisberger's not a top-1
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:47 am
Posts: 4469
KC wrote:
Still gotta wonder why such an incredible player got off to such a shitty start.

He flat-out didn't look very engaged. Not sure if he was fighting with Haley, his wife or what, but Ben looked very, very out of it early in the season.


He was put in a shitty system, in my view

We opened up the offense and Ben and the offense came alive. Not a surprise to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL.com October article:Ben Roethlisberger's not a top-1
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16809
At the start of the regular season, look at his targets:

AB double and triple teamed, literally.
Bryant hadn't played in a year and seemed to have forgotten how to play the position.
Bell hadn't practiced in months and looked a bit off doing everything he normally does really well.
JuJu was a rookie who'd never played in an NFL game.
Hunter had the dropsies.
Eli Rogers was running bad routes, not getting his hands ready to catch the ball, and generally being invisible.

Add to that a byzantine, asinine U shaped play card and grab bag garbage like 5 screens on the first 6 plays in Chicago... are we wondering why Ben got off to a mediocre start?

_________________
bradshaw2ben wrote:
PIT 30, LAC 17, NFL 16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL.com October article:Ben Roethlisberger's not a top-1
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:52 pm
Posts: 689
bradshaw2ben wrote:
At the start of the regular season, look at his targets:

AB double and triple teamed, literally.
Bryant hadn't played in a year and seemed to have forgotten how to play the position.
Bell hadn't practiced in months and looked a bit off doing everything he normally does really well.
JuJu was a rookie who'd never played in an NFL game.
Hunter had the dropsies.
Eli Rogers was running bad routes, not getting his hands ready to catch the ball, and generally being invisible.

Add to that a byzantine, asinine U shaped play card and grab bag garbage like 5 screens on the first 6 plays in Chicago... are we wondering why Ben got off to a mediocre start?


^^ Spot on


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL.com October article:Ben Roethlisberger's not a top-1
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:43 pm
Posts: 4436
Hinestuff wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:
Ben got hot just at the correct time


You mean the entire second half of the year?

Second half of the colts game exactly


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL.com October article:Ben Roethlisberger's not a top-1
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 12074
The media bullshit is a real shame....IMO, Ben is a combination of Elway and Montana that might never be seen again. Rodgers comes close, and is arguably(?!?) more talented, but he's just not a winner and gamer like Ben. In watching the NFL for over 30 years, NO ONE I've seen throws the ball like Ben and Rodgers.

STFU about Brady....he plays in a cheater system with Rain Man calling plays. On any other team Brady is MAYBE Steve Young without the wheels.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL.com October article:Ben Roethlisberger's not a top-1
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:54 pm
Posts: 2306
Kodiak wrote:
The media bullshit is a real shame....IMO, Ben is a combination of Elway and Montana that might never be seen again. Rodgers comes close, and is arguably(?!?) more talented, but he's just not a winner and gamer like Ben. In watching the NFL for over 30 years, NO ONE I've seen throws the ball like Ben and Rodgers.

STFU about Brady....he plays in a cheater system with Rain Man calling plays. On any other team Brady is MAYBE Steve Young without the wheels.


One thing not talked about is how other non-Brady QBs have had success under center for the Pats. Compare that with Ben’s back ups who might have won some
Games but clearly were game managers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL.com October article:Ben Roethlisberger's not a top-1
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23682
Kodiak wrote:
The media bullshit is a real shame....IMO, Ben is a combination of Elway and Montana that might never be seen again. Rodgers comes close, and is arguably(?!?) more talented, but he's just not a winner and gamer like Ben. In watching the NFL for over 30 years, NO ONE I've seen throws the ball like Ben and Rodgers.

STFU about Brady....he plays in a cheater system with Rain Man calling plays. On any other team Brady is MAYBE Steve Young without the wheels.


Provided he fully recovers from his ACL injury, Carson Wentz has all the tools to become the next Ben/Rodgers QB. Also incredibly smart, having been one of the few college QBs that ran a pro-style offense and didn't have his coach doing all his thinking for him.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL.com October article:Ben Roethlisberger's not a top-1
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:13 pm
Posts: 4120
This board’s inferiority complex with Brady and the Pats is kinda sad. Reminds me of how Bengals fans talk and act about our team.

If Ben Roethlisberger had five Lombardi’s and was coming off a SB performance where he led the Steelers back from a 28-3 deficit, with multiple huge 3rd and 4th down conversions, multipe two point conversions just to send the game into OT and then won it in the greatest comeback in SB history, can you imagine anyone with a fucking brain on here saying “Eh, he’s just a product of the system” or try to argue another QB is more of a winner or a “gamer” than he is? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jesus guys... some of you sound like whiny 10 year olds who got shoved into your locker too many times.

_________________
SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Dad showed up after work and according to her the entire hospital hears my dad yell you are not naming our son Hoss.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL.com October article:Ben Roethlisberger's not a top-1
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16809
steelmann58 wrote:
Hinestuff wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:
Ben got hot just at the correct time


You mean the entire second half of the year?

Second half of the colts game exactly

Thre off his chains and started calling plays/taking charge/said fuck this

_________________
bradshaw2ben wrote:
PIT 30, LAC 17, NFL 16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL.com October article:Ben Roethlisberger's not a top-1
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:43 am 
Online

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 am
Posts: 9261
Jeemie wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
The media bullshit is a real shame....IMO, Ben is a combination of Elway and Montana that might never be seen again. Rodgers comes close, and is arguably(?!?) more talented, but he's just not a winner and gamer like Ben. In watching the NFL for over 30 years, NO ONE I've seen throws the ball like Ben and Rodgers.

STFU about Brady....he plays in a cheater system with Rain Man calling plays. On any other team Brady is MAYBE Steve Young without the wheels.


Provided he fully recovers from his ACL injury, Carson Wentz has all the tools to become the next Ben/Rodgers QB. Also incredibly smart, having been one of the few college QBs that ran a pro-style offense and didn't have his coach doing all his thinking for him.




Ya Wentz has always reminded me of Ben as well, Darnold at USC is also a lot like Ben.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL.com October article:Ben Roethlisberger's not a top-1
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:13 pm
Posts: 4120
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Thre off his chains and started calling plays/taking charge/said fuck this


I mean, yeah, this. :lol:

He definitely is playing a lot more inspired too. The first half of the year his body language screamed "Maybe I should have retired." It's clear to me he didn't buy into Haley's playcalling and the philosophy of the offense. What they've got now is great though. Ben has taken the reins, gets his fair share of calling his own plays, and it's definitely an explosive passing offense that works in the run, as opposed to what they were doing earlier in the year, and Haley is able to build off that, take one concept/look one week and then the next build something different off that same look the next week. I've seen designs the past couple of weeks I haven't seen all year. They may hate each other but they're doing great things together now.

_________________
SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Dad showed up after work and according to her the entire hospital hears my dad yell you are not naming our son Hoss.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL.com October article:Ben Roethlisberger's not a top-1
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:17 pm
Posts: 1619
bradshaw2ben wrote:
At the start of the regular season, look at his targets:

AB double and triple teamed, literally.
Bryant hadn't played in a year and seemed to have forgotten how to play the position.
Bell hadn't practiced in months and looked a bit off doing everything he normally does really well.
JuJu was a rookie who'd never played in an NFL game.
Hunter had the dropsies.
Eli Rogers was running bad routes, not getting his hands ready to catch the ball, and generally being invisible.

Add to that a byzantine, asinine U shaped play card and grab bag garbage like 5 screens on the first 6 plays in Chicago... are we wondering why Ben got off to a mediocre start?

I agree with all of this, but Ben is also known for not doing shit in the off-season. He looked slow and out of shape to me, in addition to everything you said.

_________________
KC wrote:
I got nothin.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL.com October article:Ben Roethlisberger's not a top-1
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:48 am
Posts: 1115
TB wrote:
This board’s inferiority complex with Brady and the Pats is kinda sad. Reminds me of how Bengals fans talk and act about our team.


I've made that comparison as well.

It's a little brother complex.

It'll continue until the Steelers win one over them that matters.....same thing with the Bengals. Or until fans start to take their beatings like men lol.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL.com October article:Ben Roethlisberger's not a top-1
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 12074
There's no inferiority complex. They cheat, have been caught multiple times (that we know of ) doing it. And multiple QB's have played very well in that system.

Montana and Young were great QB's, but they were perhaps made much greater playing in a system that was, at the time, years ahead of the defenses. But they didn't play for cheaters.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL.com October article:Ben Roethlisberger's not a top-1
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:48 am
Posts: 1115
It's a steeler message board and, even before the Harrison drama, the Pats were discussed ad nauseum.

The HC talks about the Patriots with games against the Packers, Bengals and Ravens yet to come.

I'd disagree there is no complex or at minimum "in their heads".

Again....going back to the '05 run, we used to laugh at the Bengals for worrying about the steelers in weeks they weren't playing them. There's no difference now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL.com October article:Ben Roethlisberger's not a top-1
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 12074
Miter Saw wrote:
The HC talks about the Patriots with games against the Packers, Bengals and Ravens yet to come.


Certainly a HC can walk and chew gum at the same time....thinking about the clear and main rival in the AFC in no way means there is a complex or "in your head", it just means your HC isn't an idiot.

That last game at Heinz field suggested nothing about the team having an inferiority complex or having NE in their heads - they outplayed NE, and got screwed out of a W.

So maybe let's just stop with all this BS. NE is a perennial top team and SB favorite. They're going to be talked about as they ARE relevant to PIT, this being a football discussion forum and all.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL.com October article:Ben Roethlisberger's not a top-1
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 4293
Quote:
That last game at Heinz field suggested nothing about the team having an inferiority complex or having NE in their heads - they were outplaying NE (until they foolishly took their foot off gas waaay too early) and screwed themselves out of a W.


Fixed it for you.

I realize the bad call did screw them but it should have never came to that if we didn’t play the second half like it was Cleveland and a rookie QB on the opposing sideline.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL.com October article:Ben Roethlisberger's not a top-1
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:48 am
Posts: 1115
Kodiak wrote:
Miter Saw wrote:
The HC talks about the Patriots with games against the Packers, Bengals and Ravens yet to come.


Certainly a HC can walk and chew gum at the same time....thinking about the clear and main rival in the AFC in no way means there is a complex or "in your head", it just means your HC isn't an idiot.

That last game at Heinz field suggested nothing about the team having an inferiority complex or having NE in their heads - they outplayed NE, and got screwed out of a W.

So maybe let's just stop with all this BS. NE is a perennial top team and SB favorite. They're going to be talked about as they ARE relevant to PIT, this being a football discussion forum and all.


I said nothing about the Pats being in their heads being the cause of the loss. Just said that the pats are in their heads as evidenced by it constantly coming up, even a month or so before they are to play.

I'd love to stop with the BS, but it keeps coming up....because they're in everyone's heads (complex).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL.com October article:Ben Roethlisberger's not a top-1
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:43 pm
Posts: 4436
what worries about me everyone is talking about beating NE we need to worry first about our first round game


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CdnSteelerFan, GreekSteel, Steeledge and 42 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group