It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Steelers are expected to hold Ben and Bell out vs. Browns
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:35 pm 

The Steelers are expected to hold Ben Roethlisberger and Le'Veon Bell out for Sunday's finale.

The word came from teammate Marcus Gilbert in a Thursday radio interview. The Steelers apparently don't expect the Jets to give the Patriots a game, which would be the only way Pittsburgh could improve from the No. 2 seed. It also means the 0-15 Browns will have a much greater shot at avoiding 0-16. Landry Jones will be under center for Pittsburgh. 35-year-old Roethlisberger will be working on two weeks rest in the Divisional Round.

Source: Joe Rutter on Twitter Dec 28 - 4:12 PM

Post subject: Re: Steelers are expected to hold Ben and Bell out vs. Brown
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:38 pm 

I don’t like it.

I could see LB with his heavy workload and injury history, in fact I love THAT move but Ben, he should at least play the first half. 3 weeks without the big guy playing at game speed? Not a fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:48 pm 

Hinestuff wrote:
I don’t like it.

I could see LB with his heavy workload and injury history, in fact I love THAT move but Ben, he should at least play the first half. 3 weeks without the big guy playing at game speed? Not a fan

I tend to agree. I definitely sit Bell, given he's being hit on every carry. I think Ben, at his position, is better able to avoid injury...play him a half.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:49 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Hinestuff wrote:
I don’t like it.

I tend to agree. I definitely sit Bell, given he's being hit on every carry. I think Ben, at his position, is better able to avoid injury...play him a half.

THIS

Bell needs to be held out at all costs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:52 pm 

Wow! I get the injury history with Ben and Bell, but there is a chance that the Steelers get home field advantage. Imagine if the Pats lose, and then Landry tosses a pick-6 to give Cleveland the win.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:53 pm 

I can see the arguments either way but I'd be inclined to play to win.

What happens if the Jets are up on the Pats late (or even halftime) and the Steelers are behind? Does Ben enter to try to win the game assuming he's in uniform?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:56 pm 

I wonder if the Jets are giving NE a game if Ben wouldn't relieve Laundry.

Otherwise, I tend to agree with having a week off that Ben should play a half. But can you really risk Ben getting hurt (sometimes the guy just can't help himself trying to extend a play)? Very low chance NE loses to the Jets, and PIT can beat NE with Laundry.

But I definitely lean toward playing Ben a half, and then see what kind of game NE is having. The flipside is if Ben got dinged and had to miss a few series in a playoff game, the reps here for Laundry could be critical.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:03 pm 

FWIW, it's being reported the Gilbert is the one who spilled the beans about BR and LB not playing. However, Gilbert is denying that he said it. So....you know. Steelers shit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:09 pm 

I'm fine sitting bell. Give him two weeks off to rest up. I'd prefer to play ben for a half to keep him sharp. Granted it's usually due to injury but he's had issues after sitting for an extended period of time

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:16 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
I wonder if the Jets are giving NE a game if Ben wouldn't relieve Laundry.

Otherwise, I tend to agree with having a week off that Ben should play a half. But can you really risk Ben getting hurt (sometimes the guy just can't help himself trying to extend a play)? Very low chance NE loses to the Jets, and PIT can beat NE with Laundry.

But I definitely lean toward playing Ben a half, and then see what kind of game NE is having. The flipside is if Ben got dinged and had to miss a few series in a playoff game, the reps here for Laundry could be critical.

That's what I think should happen. It sounds like ass-backwards thinking, but go in assuming Patriots will win. If it looks like they could lose, then play Ben...AND maybe Bell. Sounds like Pouncey might sit as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next