It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Steelers are expected to hold Ben and Bell out vs. Brown
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:14 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Pabst wrote:
I can't imagine Ben not dressing. Might as well have him as the #2 (or 3) on the off chance that Bilal Powell opens up a can of whoop ass on New England.

You can easily justify not starting him, but he HAS to dress on the off chance NE is losing and Laundry is struggling. You can't put home field on Laundry's shoulders, you just can't. That wouldn't even be a fair thing to ask of Laundry without Bell and AB.

HAVE FAITH!!! In Landry Jones... I fully expext him to be ripping brownie bunghole all afternoon long.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:56 pm 

In seasons past I recall them having the two week rest and coming out slow, sloppy and rusty. No one wants to see a rusty, sloppy and slow Ben Roethlisberger throwing (forcing errant passes) to a very rusty still acclimating to game speed Antonio Brown. I know the bye week is great and the players really appreciate their rest too but in the past this has affected their performance(s) JMO. I play all my starters the first half. Then..., maybe..., rest my starters for the post season regardless of score... guess it's a good thing I'm not the Steelers HC.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:17 pm 

Belicheat's teams have often started out a little flat after the bye...and if I recall correctly, he's usually played the starters a half even if the game was meaningless.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:20 pm 

Hinestuff wrote:
Ok, I will soften my stance a bit....how the fuck can they not give Ben a Q with the starters where we could hope to see our offense in sync minus AB.

And of course, scoreboard watch from there.

Because one missed block and we're starting Landry Jones in the Divisional Playoffs.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:41 pm 

They should...not could, but SHOULD win with LJ, and Ridley/Fitz. This is the puking Browns after all. And even if they do lose, what difference does it make? Pats aren’t losing to the Jets. BB and Tomma don’t lose games like this.
Ben and Lev are relatively healthy, although, I’m sure, beat up a good bit. Two weeks of rest and healing can and will do them wonders. I don’t buy the rust BS after 5 months of activity. These guys are pros,
Just my 2 cents...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:43 pm 

We have a sample of three whole occasions where a Ben Roethlisberger-QBd Steeler team was looking at a first round bye going into the season finale.

*'04...did not play as had suffered an injury against Baltimore previous week...kind of sucked ass against the Jets in the Div. Playoffs...was Ben's rookie year.

*'08...played, got taken off the field on a stretcher..started a bit slow vs. San Diego in Div. Playoffs

*10...played against Cleve....started out slow against Balt in div. playoffs, trailed 21-7 at half, then put it in gear for a stirring victory

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:17 pm 

I know swiss not much to cherry pick. I still remain convinced it's better to play them at least a half in the last meaningless game of the season and then consider sitting them regardless of score.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:34 pm 

I can live with the occasional 10-15 yard run....those plays are almost routine in the passing game.

IMO, it's really hard to keep moving the chains and scoring points being run-heavy. You pick your poison, and DO NOT get baited into letting the run set-up the pass. Our defense can give up big plays in the running game, but I'm not overly worried about them giving up a lot of points or long possessions to run-heavy teams. The CHI game was kind of a fluke, really (and one of the few teams you would - and they did - focus on stopping the run).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:40 pm 

Not sure if I want a rusty Ben playing against the Jags, most likely!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:57 pm 

Projected inactive list....

Hope it's wrong...don't think Steelers should assume Patriots will win. Keep Ben active just in case...keep Dobbs inactive.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/12/st ... ve-list-4/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:13 pm 

I'd probably keep Ben active myself, but in all likelihood, Jones will have this game in the bag by halftime.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:35 pm 

Lynch wrote:
I'd probably keep Ben active myself, but in all likelihood, Jones will have this game in the bag by halftime.

Jones wants to show the world how talented he is....

I’m assuming 25-40, 350 and 3 TDS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:42 pm 

Ben being inactive would be irresponsibly stupid. NE still has to play the game.

The NFL eliminated the emergency QB rule and now just allows 46 guys to dress (I think). But regardless, that shouldn't prevent them from dressing Ben and Dobbs. If you have a shot to take homefield, then you can put Ben in.

Only reason I can think of making Ben inactive is Tomlin doesn't trust himself NOT to put Ben in the game if NE is close but winning.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:06 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Ben being inactive would be irresponsibly stupid. NE still has to play the game.

The NFL eliminated the emergency QB rule and now just allows 46 guys to dress (I think). But regardless, that shouldn't prevent them from dressing Ben and Dobbs. If you have a shot to take homefield, then you can put Ben in.

Only reason I can think of making Ben inactive is Tomlin doesn't trust himself NOT to put Ben in the game if NE is close but winning.

I would seriously question Tomlin's sanity if Ben isn't active for tomorrow's game with home-field advantage on the line.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:22 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:
Lynch wrote:

Jones wants to show the world how talented he is....

I’m assuming 25-40, 350 and 3 TDS

Jones is a playa, homie. I think he'll only have to throw it 30-35 times tomorrow, but yeah, basically expect the same numbers.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:04 am 

IF people don"t think we can not beat the Browns with LJ then we are in big trouble.I don"t think the Pats are going to lose to a jet team being led by Petty.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:00 am 

Maybe he'll channel the ghost of Tom Petty and lul them to sleep.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:07 am 

Obviously wrote:
Wow! I get the injury history with Ben and Bell, but there is a chance that the Steelers get home field advantage. Imagine if the Pats lose, and then Landry tosses a pick-6 to give Cleveland the win.

Is Ben dressing? because if NYJ is beating the Pats (blind squirrel meet acorn) could they insert Ben to the game and let him take over at halftime? Or will it be Dobbs at the #2 spot?

have not read the whole thread yet if already answered.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:41 am 

stillthere wrote:
Obviously wrote:
Wow! I get the injury history with Ben and Bell, but there is a chance that the Steelers get home field advantage. Imagine if the Pats lose, and then Landry tosses a pick-6 to give Cleveland the win.

Is Ben dressing? because if NYJ is beating the Pats (blind squirrel meet acorn) could they insert Ben to the game and let him take over at halftime? Or will it be Dobbs at the #2 spot?

have not read the whole thread yet if already answered.

That's what I think should happen:
*Don't need to get Dobbs any snaps.
*Take my chances with Landry not getting hurt, needing a relief pitcher
*Would sure as hell rather have Ben, not need him, then need him, not have him

Let's remember....Jets were screwed over severely against the Patriots as well. They damn near won at New Orleans a couple weeks ago, usually play the Patriots tough.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:05 pm 

i expect to see a pissed off Steelers defense today and a let it all hang out Jets D