It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1974 AFCG - video
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:51 am 

Picking up from the Redux thread... I only have vague memory of seeing the 74 AFCG (teenage years) and thought it wasn't available on video anywhere. But it's now on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxDBPz63Jqg

Definitely worth watching. This looks like someone captured it on tape and maybe spliced in a few bits. A lot of Q2 is wiped out and there are some random video issues, but most of the game is shown clearly. I do remember the Steelers were dominant running that day and Raiders went nowhere. 200+ yds from Franco & Rocky, 29 for Oakland.

Even though final score was 24-13, this wasn't easy. As Swiss noted, Steelers were down 10-3 going into 4th. Branch had gotten behind Blount for a 38-yard TD, Gerela had shanked a chip shot FG in Q1 and Bradshaw threw an INT in Q2 (not on tape). Steelers had 3 pts on I think 3 red zone trips -- message board in those days would have exploded!

Steelers finally scored on first play of Q4 after a good drive (classic trap run by Franco). Then Ham picked off Stabler on next series (his second of the game) and ran it back inside 10. Terry fired to Swann on nice slant pattern for TD and it's 17-10.

This is around 1.19 on the video. The game gets really weird from there, including:
* Lambert somehow deep in coverage makes a great open field tackle to prevent Branch from scoring a tieing TD on a long pass
* Bradshaw calls a wtf naked bootleg and (untouched) fumbles ball off his knee. Raiders get their hands on it a couple times, but Rocky finally secures it. Otherwise Raiders would have had the ball at midfield.
* Steelers drive to Raiders 30, up 17-13 -- and Noll punts away on 3rd and 5. Sheesh.
* But Madden returns the favor on next drive, punting away from Oak 27 on 4th and 3 with under 3 mins left
* Steelers keep running -- and Madden keeps all his TOs in his pocket on the far side of 2 minute warning
* Walden punts again, can't keep it out of end zone. Stabler starts from the 20, with 1.48 left. He finds Branch for 19 yards to the 39. Wagner has clear late hit to Branch on ground, no penalty called (whew).
* Next play Stabler gets crushed by Greene on a sack -- but JT Thomas is flagged for holding (not shown on replay).
* Glen Edwards picks up the flag and throws it down in front of the ref! And no call! Jesus I'm thinking, if this game is today, the Steelers have two PFs on these plays and Raiders are in business around the Pgh 30.
* Thankfully the next play is another huge rush, Stabler hurries the throw to nowhere, and JT Thomas has an easy INT back to the 25.
* Garbage time, Steelers could just take a few knees, but Franco bursts up the middle (another trap play?) for 21 yard TD to rub it into the mfck*ng Raiders faces.

Bottom line, best team won, as Noll had told them the week before. But far too close at the end when you watch it; Raiders had many chances to win this.

Post subject: Re: 1974 AFCG - video
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:08 am 

2 and 3 people deep on kick returns and punt returns. Found that insteresting.

Seems like there might be a nugget there.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:18 am 

I have a pretty good memory to watching this game, at home with my Mom & Dad, and one of my brothers while on semester break during my junior year.

When the flag flew against JT, I threw an object myself, in this case some plastic decoration, which hit the floor, bounced off the ceiling, and hit my dad in the head. Dad later said he thought the ceiling was falling.

I don't remember all of the details, like Steelers punting on 4th & 5 from the 30. I totally get them not trotting Gerela out for a FG attempt. The did come VERY close to pinning the Raiders at the 1, but in the end, got only 10 yards out of the punt.

I VERY WELL remember thinking Cliff Branch was gone to tie the game at 17, but then somehow, Jack Lambert appeared, surprisingly, on my TV screen to make the tackle.

Pregame, L.C. Greenwood was watching Rams-Viking on a TV in the hallway of the Oakland Alameda Coliseum. One of the Raiders linemen, I forget which one, sees him there, says, "What you doing, LC?" L.C. says,"Seeing who we're going to play in the Super Bowl." It was a confident Steeler team going into Oakland that day. I'm hoping this Steelers group will be similarly confident going into Foxboro in three weeks, if that's our destination.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:10 am 

I don't remember games/ plays like you lunatics do, but I remember practically every play while re-watching it.

The bootleg fumble, the penalty, etc. It's like my memory fires up like an old car.

But even though they were rivals, with all the criminal element etc, Greenwood sacked Stabler hard and hurt him with like 40 sec remaining and a two score lead. Then proceeded to give him a hand getting up. And Mean Joe affectionately shaking Cliff Branch's hand at the end of the game.

But late/hard hits were everywhere. It explains why when we played Kill The Man With The Ball, getting rid of the ball to avoid a tackle or pile up didn't really help if someone really wanted to Kill you. We took our cues from mean joe and co.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:24 am 

Well done. Good to keep this game alive.

Greatest defensive game I ever saw and Joe Greene was the greatest defensive lineman of all time. He was a madman, his violence & insane play won us that game, he elevated the entire team. He almost quit before the season and nothing was going to stop him. He and Holmes were punching and kicking guys in the balls and spitting in guys faces. After every play Joe would complain to the refs that Otto was holding him all the while he was beating the crap out of him. If that game was played under today's auspices the entire front four and Mel Blount and the Raiders offense line and secondary would all be in jail. In 1980 we had a chance to meet the team, we spoke for 10 or 15 minutes with Ham, thanked him for those two pics. He told us the Raiders tried to set him up going behind Shell & Upshaw early. Jack told us he set them up he convinced Snake with his body language and footwork that he was vacating and then came back for the ball incredible peripheral vision balance speed and smarts. Lambert did things that no other middle linebacker could do he covered downfield. He lead with his helmet which would get him kicked out of today's game and he blocked a field goal right before the half. Right there we knew we could win the game.

At half the Raiders had less than 10 yards rushing. When we spoke to Mel he was reluctant to talk about Branch I think he hated Branch and wanted to kill him. Today's fans bitch and moan about Ben being inconsistent it was worse with Terry when he was young there was no reason for him fumbling that ball but he came through like a champion and again in SB when he hit Brown for a TD.

Joe's D held them to 29 yards rushing. Shut down their running game after the first play of the game. Just amazing performance. We got fucked out of a Stalls TD catch. The trapping and run blocking, I remember one great Moon block to spring Franco took heat off Terry.

Noll's comment got Joe insane, very unusual for Noll to depart from logic and get emotional. Would be like Tomlin coming up with a logical strategy designed to out think the opposition.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:42 am 

Jack Ham was the perfect football player. Always, always, always in position to make the play. I remember him as #33 at Penn State as well, big play after big play.

My highlight as a draftnick was in the late '60s, early '70s, when my brother and I, on draft eve, would predict the Steelers #1 draft choice. Here's my run:
*1969....predicted correctly Joe Greene
*1970....along with everyone else in the football world, predicted correctly Terry Bradshaw
*1971...my all-time highlight....on draft eve, predicted Steelers would draft Frank Lewis #1...AND...Jack Ham #2
*1972....predicted correctly Franco Harris

That was the absolute end of my correct draft predictions.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:47 am 

OSS, great comments and insights from Ham and others. You could see him waiting on Stabler's throws for his two picks. Still wonder how in the world Lambert was playing deep coverage to be able to tackle Branch 40+ yards downfield.

DIdn't remember Stallworth TD called back or the Lambert FG block -- those aren't on the tape (but 2nd half is virtually intact).

Also found the commenters surprisingly good. Curt Gowdy was reliable play by play, Don Meredith hadn't fully descended into his MNF cornpone shtick, and DeRogatis had lots of smart insights. He called Ham's 2nd INT a few plays ahead, seeing how much pressure Stabler was under and how the Steelers were covering.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:55 am 

The Stallworth play was robbery to rival any of the current-day thievery.

His left arm was being held, he STILL made the catch...and they disallowed the catch (I forget why) and no flag.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:58 am 

I cant help myself now a days watching these oldies and throwing flags in my head with todays rules...dpi; tackling to hard :lol: . roughing; blows to head; personal fouls. . not to mention a replay needed... :lol:
huge change in game from 60s-70s?? kicking! kickers now are amazing! gerela would be laughed outta camp now!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:26 pm 

bam morris wrote:
I cant help myself now a days watching these oldies and throwing flags in my head with todays rules...dpi; tackling to hard :lol: . roughing; blows to head; personal fouls. . not to mention a replay needed... :lol:
huge change in game from 60s-70s?? kicking! kickers now are amazing! gerela would be laughed outta camp now!

Gerela sucked even then.....was my least favorite Steeler of all time....until this week!!!