It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Q and A with Tomlin
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 12708
This is a great Q and A article that I stumbled across and thought folks would like an inside point of view on several players.

Some snips from the article....http://www.steelers.com/news/labriola-o ... 0987293fd2

Quote:
Tyler Matakevich is essentially a special teams player and not a down in and down out linebacker candidate.

Quote:
Often times in this game, we say you look like the animal that you hunt.

Quote:
Sean Spence, particularly at the University of Miami and saw how his teammates felt about him and that coaching staff felt about him – not from a talent standpoint, but from a football character standpoint – then you bet on that.

Quote:
Q. When you were learning about JuJu Smith-Schuster during the pre-draft period last year, did his age – 20 years old – give you pause at any point?
A. No, it’s the exact opposite for me. I like the diaper dandies.

Quote:
We’ve given up some big plays, and sometimes that’s due to the growth process that those guys (Burns/Davis) go through. As unfortunate as it may be, as much as you may hate it, it is part of the process, but I like the overall trajectory of their play and careers thus far.

Quote:
The professional game is geared toward scoring and entertainment, and that’s just the reality of it. Those guys have to understand that.

Quote:
Q. Can a single defensive back make a whole secondary better?
A. Without question. You see us with Joe Haden in there?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Q and A with Tomlin
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:07 am
Posts: 8350
Quote:
The professional game is geared toward scoring and entertainment, and that’s just the reality of it. Those guys have to understand that.


With DMR's passing, we are due up on the book tour :)

_________________
ImageImage
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Q and A with Tomlin
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 12708
Quote:
We’ve given up some big plays, and sometimes that’s due to the growth process that those guys (Burns/Davis) go through. As unfortunate as it may be, as much as you may hate it, it is part of the process, but I like the overall trajectory of their play and careers thus far.


Hmmm....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Q and A with Tomlin
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:32 pm
Posts: 424
That Matekavich quote is totally out of context.

If you posted the whole response he says that TM is a special teams only player at this point due to his shoulder.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Q and A with Tomlin
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 12708
I meant no disrespect FPWL. Every snip I quoted is out of context. Supposed to strike the curiosity inquiring minds want to know bug in you...

I like Matakevich and hope he is healthy next year with some NFL experience under his belt. Can only improve from here.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Q and A with Tomlin
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:32 pm
Posts: 424
Steelafan77 wrote:
I meant no disrespect FPWL. Every snip I quoted is out of context. Supposed to strike the curiosity inquiring minds want to know bug in you...

I like Matakevich and hope he is healthy next year with some NFL experience under his belt. Can only improve from here.


Sorry - I'm kind of a dick (is it better if you admit it?)

Didn't mean for it to be an attack - just didn't want people to suddenly come in and start complaining about why is TM on the roster?

I agree with you - I think he has the chance to be a pretty decent player if Shazier can't make it back


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Q and A with Tomlin
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 12708
Was't concerned about it seeming like a dick response. No worries, I'm not the opinion police. Matakevich has been an on again off again topic. As the Dupree and Tuitt derogatory remarks in the game thread. Matakevich has not avoided the dreaded smack talking between Steeler faithful. Hargrave? :lol:

I just really liked the article. Seemed like Tomlin was as genuine and sincere as he's ever been perceived to be in that Q and A. FWIW!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Q and A with Tomlin
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:32 pm
Posts: 424
Steelafan77 wrote:
Was't concerned about it seeming like a dick response. No worries, I'm not the opinion police. Matakevich has been an on again off again topic. As the Dupree and Tuitt derogatory remarks in the game thread. Matakevich has not avoided the dreaded smack talking between Steeler faithful. Hargrave? :lol:

I just really liked the article. Seemed like Tomlin was as genuine and sincere as he's ever been perceived to be in that Q and A. FWIW!


It's a really great interview - Tomlin is not BB but you can see why his players play for him


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Q and A with Tomlin
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 12708
Quote:
@drinelli
Follow Follow @drinelli
More
Most Wins by an NFL Head Coach
In Their First 11 Seasons
(Regular Season Games Only)

Don Shula: 117
Mike Tomlin: 116
Joe Gibbs: 115
Mike McCarthy: 114
Tony Dungy: 114
George Seifert: 114 https://twitter.com/drinelli/status/947590547744665600

Congratulations, Obviously. Tip of the cap. Great company to be in there coach.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group