It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Munchak or Haley the greater loss
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:49 pm 

Baltostiller wrote:
I'd really hate to lose Munchak. He has done a great job.

Did anyone else notice what Ben said regarding Munchak? He said something to the effect that players really listen to coaches who played at the highest level (gold jacket I think). He then said that they listen more to someone like that than to someone who never played the game. A dig at Haley?

Of course it's another shot at the golfer. Haley is a white board jockey, not a jock.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:26 pm 

BethlehemSteel wrote:
Baltostiller wrote:

Did anyone else notice what Ben said regarding Munchak? He said something to the effect that players really listen to coaches who played at the highest level (gold jacket I think). He then said that they listen more to someone like that than to someone who never played the game. A dig at Haley?

Of course it's another shot at the golfer. Haley is a white board jockey, not a jock.

Our secondary under the direction of Carnell Lake gives up explosive pass plays all the time and Dupree, who has all the physical gifts in the world, under Porter has really underwhelmed. But players really listen to guys who have done it at the highest level, like Porter and Lake.

There are clearly reasons to be dissatisfied with Haley, but Ben's out of context quote is not, in my opinion, one of them.

So it might be a dig at Haley, but all the listening to Lake, if Ben is right and Lake's guys are listening because he played at the highest level (all-decade team), is not doing shit for the secondary.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:32 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
BethlehemSteel wrote:
Baltostiller wrote:

Our secondary under the direction of Carnell Lake gives up explosive pass plays all the time and Dupree, who has all the physical gifts in the world, under Porter has really underwhelmed. But players really listen to guys who have done it at the highest level, like Porter and Lake.

There are clearly reasons to be dissatisfied with Haley, but Ben's out of context quote is not, in my opinion, one of them.

So it might be a dig at Haley, but all the listening to Lake, if Ben is right and Lake's guys are listening because he played at the highest level (all-decade team), is not doing shit for the secondary.

But to the original question, putting Porter and Lake aside, I'd still rather hang on to Munchak. You don't think his solidifying of a once terrible offensive line had anything to do with sack numbers going down and scoring numbers going up?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:39 pm 

Ice wrote:
But to the original question, putting Porter and Lake aside, I'd still rather hang on to Munchak. You don't think his solidifying of a once terrible offensive line had anything to do with sack numbers going down and scoring numbers going up?

Surely Munchak has had a positive effect. Absolutely.

But Haley also designed an offense to keep Ben from getting killed.

And, again, under Haley (and Munchak), 4/6 of the top scoring seasons have all occurred in the last 4 years.

Haley sure seemed like a good scape goat up through the Jax debacle, but the offense has been humming along nicely since.

Seems to me that around here, all the bad is Haley's fault and all the good is Ben's. I don't buy that.

EDIT: I do not consider myself to be sufficiently knowledgeable of all that needs to be known to answer the OPs question. But gun to my head, keep Munchak.

Last edited by Still Lit on Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:40 pm 

I don't understand the objective arguments against Haley.

I get that people don't like him, but the facts are generally in his favor.

Re: the original question, for the playoff run Haley would be the greater loss. Long term Munchak is the bigger loss.

btw most of the top coaches haven't played at the highest level, so if you are claiming Ben's statements about Munchak are a shot at Haley they must also be a shot at BB, Tomlin, Harbaugh, etc etc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:40 pm 

maybe some guys in the secondary are below par like to see what happens with the progression of Sutton. we know Hilton has flourished too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:49 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
I don't understand the objective arguments against Haley.

I get that people don't like him, but the facts are generally in his favor.

Re: the original question, for the playoff run Haley would be the greater loss. Long term Munchak is the bigger loss.

btw most of the top coaches haven't played at the highest level, so if you are claiming Ben's statements about Munchak are a shot at Haley they must also be a shot at BB, Tomlin, Harbaugh, etc etc

Well what’s the objective here? Are we trying to win the SB? If so, who shall I blame for the ridiculous offensive game plan in the second half of the Pats game that almost assuredly punched our tickets to Foxboro if we make the AFCCG? 13-3 is a tremendous season but what does it mean if you can’t win the one that counts?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:03 pm 

Since Haley has no scheduled conversations and Munch has one (Pittsburgh West, no less), the league is beginning to make its opinion known on the subject.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:09 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
If Haley leaves, do we get to keep his play designs?

Saw this on Depot: four of the top six scoring seasons in franchise history have come over the past four years.

Fun to throw tomatoes at Haley, but that is impressive.

I give him almost no credit for that. To me the credit goes mostly to personnel decisions in FO, Ben, Munchak, elite talent, in that order.

Elite WR, RB, QB, OL. More no-huddle. Munchak, according to Haley and others, is the one who designs the run plays and selects which ones each week for the gameplan.

We're running an offense that is cumulative over the course of Ben's career, and it's mostly about option routes. I think it's clear as day that the more Haley is removed from the equation, the better.

As for personnel, the team has been super strong at selecting/signing WR & RB (other than the elf on the shelf). The QBs he seems to love... Jones & Dobbs don't seem to have much big time potential but are very conservative choices for small ball.

I not only don't think we'll miss him, I think the offense would be better next year without him, all other things being equal.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:11 pm 

Ice wrote:
Since Haley has no scheduled conversations and Munch has one (Pittsburgh West, no less), the league is beginning to make its opinion known on the subject.

This assumes Haley is interested and that the Steelers are open to letting him interview during a SB run.

Or are these not assumptions?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next