It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: QB in Round 1?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:04 pm 

I'm thinking in a more "needs" based mind set. That said, to me..., QB is an afterthought. Even if a decent project were to fall to the end of the draft I think I'd pass. Safety, ILB, OLB, RB, DL, CB, WR and OL even TE are where I look. In that order. JMO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:11 pm 

Obviously, the whole thread is based on that one, big IF. Otherwise, 77, I'm in total agreement.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:31 pm 

If Ben is retiring after next year, you need to develop a replacement. Otherwise say hello to Laundry.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:44 pm 

I think Ben still has a couple more winning seasons in him. Especially with the surrounding cast. All that needs to happen is beef up the areas in need with talent/depth. Eventually, yes I think they have no choice but to look at QB prospects. In a couple of seasons perhaps.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:14 pm 

Lamar Jackson?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:16 pm 

44LetzRide wrote:
Lamar Jackson?

I’d take a flyer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:19 pm 

44LetzRide wrote:
Lamar Jackson?

Would absolutely love to grab Jackson. He won't be there barring a hefty trade up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:58 pm 

Smashmouth21 wrote:
44LetzRide wrote:
Lamar Jackson?

Would absolutely love to grab Jackson. He won't be there barring a hefty trade up.

Is he definitely seen as a first round QB?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:03 pm 

I would agree ILB and safety early but if a qb does drop could be interesting
but worry about the playoffs first

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:23 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:
I would agree ILB and safety early but if a qb does drop could be interesting
but worry about the playoffs first

Playoffs? You kidding me?

Playoffs?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:46 pm 

44LetzRide wrote:
Lamar Jackson?

I’d rather draft Jermaine Jackson...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:59 pm 

KC wrote:
Is he definitely seen as a first round QB?

There are plenty of mocks that have him going in Round 1. But then again, Deshone Kizer was being projected as a high 1st rounder at this point last year as well, so who knows. It's too early.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:30 pm 

To me, Lamar Jackson just doesn't have NFL caliber accuracy. The guy has improved as a passer though and seems like a hard worker.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:39 pm 

As much as I wanted the Steelers to draft a QB high last season, I don't want them to spend a 1st or 2nd this next draft. Why? Because there is nobody worth a damn that early. I am that down on this year's QB class.

At the end of the 3rd round, if a Baker Mayfield is there, or they want to take a chance on a Riley Ferguson, Jarrett Stidham or Kurt Benkert, then that would be fine. If Ben plays out his current contract, plays another two years then maybe one of those QBs can develop and be mentored by Ben and coached up by Fitchner.

Stidham is actually my dark horse favorite but I think he will be pushed way up, I think we would have to spend a 2nd rounder on him.

For those that haven't watched any of his games, go to Youtube and check out the highlights that have been done on him against Alabama and Georgia. Those two teams just played in the National Championship game and Jarrett Stidham beat both of those teams this past November.

He just reminds me of Pat Mahommes of last year. He is athletic, mobile, can throw off platform, which means his feet don't have to be set, he can throw it on the run, from weird angles. He has good placement of the football, can really place the ball in front of his WRs to allow them to run through the catch. He is about 6'3, maybe will show up shorter at the combine, and about 210, he will need to work on his body, get stronger, put on more weight, but if Ben plays the next two years he will have the time to do it. He has the arm, the accuracy, just everything you would want, but again, once he tests he will probably shoot up the draft boards. I take him over Rosen (another Cutler) or Darnold (another turnover prone/injury prone Luck), or anyone else in this draft.

*edit, okay see that Stidham is returning to Auburn for 2018, well, there goes that idea :lol: *

Last edited by Scunge on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:02 pm 

Right where I'm at Scunge. If there's a guy in the 5th they find intriguing perhaps. 1st, 2nd, 3rd RND's all have to be BPA defense IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:22 pm 

I think the Steelers will still be on the lookout for a late round Qb.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:27 pm 

Quote:
Auburn redshirt sophomore QB Jarrett Stidham will return for the 2018 season.
Stidham (6'3/210) stewed over a potential draft declaration while on a three-day hunting trip following Auburn's Peach Bowl loss to UCF on New Year's Day. After considering a jump to the NFL, he took to Twitter on Friday night to announce that he would be back with the Tigers for at least one more run, citing "unfinished business." Stid the Kid's first active year with the program after transferring over from Baylor saw a pair of high-profile upsets of Georgia and Alabama in November. He finished the 2017 campaign throwing for 3,158 yards (66.5% completions) with an 18/6 TD/INT ratio across 14 games played. Jan 5 - 10:31 PM
Source: Jarrett Stidham on Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:36 pm 

Smart. All he can do is Improve his value and be drafted even higher next year. Likely made himself more money by going this approach.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:12 pm 

I’d rather draft Lamar Latrelle from Revenge of the Nerds

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:15 pm 

Yeah, but bad for us, because he will end up being a top 10 first rounder next year after playing this next season with Auburn.

If he had entered the upcoming draft I really thought he might sneak into the 2nd round, but we would have had to trade up for him regardless. Oh, well.

I look at this next QB draft class and just see too many posers, a lot of flops, busts in the making. Not a good year to find Ben's replacement. And it goes back to what I was saying last offseason, you can't just wait and suddenly decide, okay, now it is time. By that time it is too late, you may have missed the boat. You have to be bold and strike when the time is right, but the player has to be there to draft, to trade up for. None of these QBs this year are worthy, Pat Mahommes was last season, that is why KC traded up for him.

I think some just think that the year after Ben retires we will go 1-15, have the first overall pick and then easily draft the next franchise QB. Yeah, right.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:07 am 

Great post Scunge. I worry that we may have already missed the boat with the mediocre QB talent that we have drafted so far. Why wait for 1-15 and several years to develop for the next guy. A caterpillar like Laundry isn't going to turn into a butterfly.

Scunge wrote:
Yeah, but bad for us, because he will end up being a top 10 first rounder next year after playing this next season with Auburn.

If he had entered the upcoming draft I really thought he might sneak into the 2nd round, but we would have had to trade up for him regardless. Oh, well.

I look at this next QB draft class and just see too many posers, a lot of flops, busts in the making. Not a good year to find Ben's replacement. And it goes back to what I was saying last offseason, you can't just wait and suddenly decide, okay, now it is time. By that time it is too late, you may have missed the boat. You have to be bold and strike when the time is right, but the player has to be there to draft, to trade up for. None of these QBs this year are worthy, Pat Mahommes was last season, that is why KC traded up for him.

I think some just think that the year after Ben retires we will go 1-15, have the first overall pick and then easily draft the next franchise QB. Yeah, right.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:11 am 

Scunge wrote:

I'm in full agreement. None of these QB's in this draft wow me. Anyway, as I recall that's what the Steelers did in 2004. They allowed for a less than stellar season to unfold with Maddox at the helm. They drafted 11th overall. I think that strategy worked out well, don't you? As Ben plays out his last couple years QB's are going to come and go. I believe the scouting department is already on this. They'll likely be following prospects from high school to college knowing who, what, when, where, why and how before they appear in the draft. I doubt they'll wait and panic draft some bust. JMO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:04 am 

44LetzRide wrote:
Lamar Jackson?

I would be Ecstatic if he was there and the Stillers drafted him. To me he is Mike Vick 2.0 with better accuracy. He has Crazy skills. He would be Slash 2.0 here and way better a QB than Kordell. My Draft dream is Lamar Jackson. He is an absolute nightmare to gameplan for and with the Offensive weapons we have, Oh My Goodness!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:08 pm 

I think the Steelers won't draft a QB this year - unless something great falls into their laps.

I know people are down on Dobbs but I believe that if he corrects his footwork- he could be the guy. Guy has a terrific arm and is probably the smartest player we've drafted in a while- all he needs is time to develop. I went to Florida and I can tell you that he made that defense with 8 current NFL starters on it look bad two years in a row. Does he need work? Certainly, but taking a flier on a guy like Baker Mayfield in anything other than the 4th or lower feels like something Jon Gruden would do. I think that kid more akin to Johnny Football than Drew Brees.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:59 pm 

I’d take Mason Rudolph in a heartbeat if he’s there let him sit and learn for a year.