It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Longhorn Mockwork
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:14 pm 

Steelers trade down with the New York Jets for pick 2.37 and 4.

2. Malik Jefferson LB Texas
Absolutely love this guy and he's probably going to be my favorite choice for the Steelers 1st round pick. The guy is a missile and delivers the thunder. What impresses me is that he generally doesn't miss the tackles. Not much of a coverage LB but he can drop into zone, will sometimes take a bad angle and get washed out of the play against the run. He's only a junior and that's why he will definitely be in the conversation for the Steelers.

2. Deshon Elliott SAF Texas
Elliott is the do it all safety that the Steelers need to finish out the secondary. Capable of playing deep but also can thrive towards the LOS. Has really good hands and would be a nice complement to Sean Davis.

3. Holton Hill CB Texas
Hill is one of my favorite prospect in the draft class because I feel like he is being overlooked. Hill has great size at 6'2" 200lbs, can run, and also is very physical in the run game.

4. Poona Ford DT Texas
Ford is a small, two gapper at NT but he also has the traits to become better as a pass rusher at the position. Need some insurance in case Javon Hargrave has lingering back issues this next year.

5. Daurice Fountain WR Northern Iowa
Outside of Brown and Smith-Schuster, the Steelers don't have another good receiver that will under contract in 2019. I hope Bryant becomes the threat he once was but the Steelers could use some insurance just in case they can't resign him or he doesn't perform as expected. Fountain was a standout at Northern Iowa and can give the Steelers another good size/speed option who boats really good hands.

5. Olasunkanmi Adeniyi OLB Toledo
I'm going to keep mocking him because he's one edge rusher I really like in a weak edge rusher class. He's on the smaller side but is powerful, quick, and a nightmare to run against.

6. Nathan Sheperd DL Fort Hays State
Sheperd is a little bit of a luxury pick at this point, but he has way too much potential to not develop with the Steelers. This kid is a brute strength wise and has a chip on his shoulder. He controls the double team and was at the Senior Bowl and impressed with power, speed and technique.

7. Chris Covington LB Indiana
Look for this kid to blow up at the Combine. While he has been a relative unknown the the national stage, Covington is a brick shithouse who I think could have better pro potential than All-American Big Ten LB and Hoosier teammate Tegray Scales.

Post subject: Re: The Longhorn Mockwork
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:25 pm 

Learned something disappointing about Nathan Shepherd. He's SEVEN years out of high school.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:32 pm 

Quote:
2. Malik Jefferson LB Texas
Absolutely love this guy and he's probably going to be my favorite choice for the Steelers 1st round pick. The guy is a missile and delivers the thunder. What impresses me is that he generally doesn't miss the tackles. Not much of a coverage LB but he can drop into zone, will sometimes take a bad angle and get washed out of the play against the run. He's only a junior and that's why he will definitely be in the conversation for the Steelers.

The Steelers already have Vince Williams. Why draft another Vince Williams?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:58 pm 

Agreed brick. No on Jefferson. Great comparison too. VWill needs replacing as well. Perhaps not as high a priority as Shazier's spot or safety but still in need of upgrading. JMO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:58 pm 

Give me VanderErsch in place of Jefferson, along with a RB in the 6th, and I’d love the rest of those picks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:43 pm 

cop1211 wrote:
Give me VanderErsch in place of Jefferson, along with a RB in the 6th, and I’d love the rest of those picks.

Good effort as always Smith. Cop I too like LVE but worry his stock will rise post combine and will be selected before 28.

My guess is they’ll sign a FA middle linebacker and draft two more. Their current group has to be the worst in the NFL.
Anyway I think we can all agree the Steelers have historically used their top pick to address their biggest need so if LVE off the board that would leave Rashaan Evans and Smiths guy Jefferson as the next two possibilities. I don’t dislike either player but I hope in that scenario the Steelers select a higher rated defensive player at another position and attack the depth of the position later in the draft. I’m fairly certain they’ll ignore that suggestion and draft the highest rated middle linebacker on their board at pick 28. Some of you might want to have a spare tv on hand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:04 am 

I’m with you on that, I’d rather grab another corner in the first than Jefferson for sure then hope the guy from South Carolina State is there in the second.
I think they sign a FA ILB. Then draft another in the 5th.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:16 am 

I like Holton Hill a lot. Not sure he makes it to late round 3 though. He is starting to gain some pre-combine momentum.