It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm
Posts: 3565
Good. It was pointless to continue to punish the players when everyone else involved with the Sandusky scandal is long gone.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 pm
Posts: 2149
The players weren't being punished.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm
Posts: 3565
fortythree wrote:
The players weren't being punished.


The school was being punished. Players who weren't even in high school when Sandusky was on the coaching staff at Penn State were affected by the punishment.

I'm sure James Franklin celebrated the news that the bowl ban was lifted by declaring tomorrow "Bring a kid to the shower" day at Lasch Hall.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 pm
Posts: 2149
The Pierogi wrote:
fortythree wrote:
The players weren't being punished.


The school was being punished. Players who weren't even in high school when Sandusky was on the coaching staff at Penn State were affected by the punishment.

I'm sure James Franklin celebrated the news that the bowl ban was lifted by declaring tomorrow "Bring a kid to the shower" day at Lasch Hall.


Those players didn't have to attend Penn State therefore they weren't being punished.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 6760
fortythree wrote:
The Pierogi wrote:
fortythree wrote:
The players weren't being punished.


The school was being punished. Players who weren't even in high school when Sandusky was on the coaching staff at Penn State were affected by the punishment.

I'm sure James Franklin celebrated the news that the bowl ban was lifted by declaring tomorrow "Bring a kid to the shower" day at Lasch Hall.


Those players didn't have to attend Penn State therefore they weren't being punished.


This year's seniors, and red-shirt juniors, were freshman when this broke. They had nothing to do with any of this.

They were being punished.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 pm
Posts: 2149
swissvale72 wrote:
This year's seniors, and red-shirt juniors, were freshman when this broke. They had nothing to do with any of this.

They were being punished.


And they were free to transfer to any team they wanted without sitting out.

So no, they weren't being punished.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm
Posts: 3565
fortythree wrote:
Those players didn't have to attend Penn State therefore they weren't being punished.


Semantics. They weren't being punished but they were still affected by the punishment levied against Penn State. Even if all 85 scholarship football players at Penn State when the Sandusky sanctions broke took advantage of the special transfer rules, that would just mean 85 players at other schools lost out on scholarships as a result of the Sandusky sanctions. Some football player at USC lost a scholarship or wasn't offered one because Silas Redd transferred there to get away from Penn State.

None of the NCAA sanctions aside from vacating Paterno's wins had any affect on the people who were actually part of the Sandusky scandal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 pm
Posts: 2149
If a player is good enough to be offered and then lose out on a scholarship to another school because a Penn State recruit takes his spot, they would be good enough to get an offer elsewhere so that's a tedious argument at best.

Especially since I believe the NCAA said they'd give schools an exemption if they brought in PSU players.

But even if they didn't, no one is actually losing out.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 6062
Players at USC were punished for things done by Reggie Bush and Pete Carroll. Both walked Scott free. Players at Ohio State were punished for things done by Terrell Pryor and Jim Tressel, who rightfully lost his job...And so on and so forth. It sucks for all those kids...just how it has to work.

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm
Posts: 3565
fortythree wrote:
If a player is good enough to be offered and then lose out on a scholarship to another school because a Penn State recruit takes his spot, they would be good enough to get an offer elsewhere so that's a tedious argument at best.

Especially since I believe the NCAA said they'd give schools an exemption if they brought in PSU players.

But even if they didn't, no one is actually losing out.


Again: The NCAA sanctions, aside from vacating Paterno's wins, had absolutely no effect on any of the people actually involved in the Sandusky scandal.

Jobus Rum wrote:
Players at USC were punished for things done by Reggie Bush and Pete Carroll. Both walked Scott free. Players at Ohio State were punished for things done by Terrell Pryor and Jim Tressel, who rightfully lost his job...And so on and so forth. It sucks for all those kids...just how it has to work.


Except it doesn't really work. It's the equivalent of taking a kid's car away because his older brother got a DUI.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group