It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm
Posts: 3565
Good. It was pointless to continue to punish the players when everyone else involved with the Sandusky scandal is long gone.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 pm
Posts: 2447
The players weren't being punished.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm
Posts: 3565
fortythree wrote:
The players weren't being punished.


The school was being punished. Players who weren't even in high school when Sandusky was on the coaching staff at Penn State were affected by the punishment.

I'm sure James Franklin celebrated the news that the bowl ban was lifted by declaring tomorrow "Bring a kid to the shower" day at Lasch Hall.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 pm
Posts: 2447
The Pierogi wrote:
fortythree wrote:
The players weren't being punished.


The school was being punished. Players who weren't even in high school when Sandusky was on the coaching staff at Penn State were affected by the punishment.

I'm sure James Franklin celebrated the news that the bowl ban was lifted by declaring tomorrow "Bring a kid to the shower" day at Lasch Hall.


Those players didn't have to attend Penn State therefore they weren't being punished.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7468
fortythree wrote:
The Pierogi wrote:
fortythree wrote:
The players weren't being punished.


The school was being punished. Players who weren't even in high school when Sandusky was on the coaching staff at Penn State were affected by the punishment.

I'm sure James Franklin celebrated the news that the bowl ban was lifted by declaring tomorrow "Bring a kid to the shower" day at Lasch Hall.


Those players didn't have to attend Penn State therefore they weren't being punished.


This year's seniors, and red-shirt juniors, were freshman when this broke. They had nothing to do with any of this.

They were being punished.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 pm
Posts: 2447
swissvale72 wrote:
This year's seniors, and red-shirt juniors, were freshman when this broke. They had nothing to do with any of this.

They were being punished.


And they were free to transfer to any team they wanted without sitting out.

So no, they weren't being punished.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm
Posts: 3565
fortythree wrote:
Those players didn't have to attend Penn State therefore they weren't being punished.


Semantics. They weren't being punished but they were still affected by the punishment levied against Penn State. Even if all 85 scholarship football players at Penn State when the Sandusky sanctions broke took advantage of the special transfer rules, that would just mean 85 players at other schools lost out on scholarships as a result of the Sandusky sanctions. Some football player at USC lost a scholarship or wasn't offered one because Silas Redd transferred there to get away from Penn State.

None of the NCAA sanctions aside from vacating Paterno's wins had any affect on the people who were actually part of the Sandusky scandal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 pm
Posts: 2447
If a player is good enough to be offered and then lose out on a scholarship to another school because a Penn State recruit takes his spot, they would be good enough to get an offer elsewhere so that's a tedious argument at best.

Especially since I believe the NCAA said they'd give schools an exemption if they brought in PSU players.

But even if they didn't, no one is actually losing out.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 7107
Players at USC were punished for things done by Reggie Bush and Pete Carroll. Both walked Scott free. Players at Ohio State were punished for things done by Terrell Pryor and Jim Tressel, who rightfully lost his job...And so on and so forth. It sucks for all those kids...just how it has to work.

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm
Posts: 3565
fortythree wrote:
If a player is good enough to be offered and then lose out on a scholarship to another school because a Penn State recruit takes his spot, they would be good enough to get an offer elsewhere so that's a tedious argument at best.

Especially since I believe the NCAA said they'd give schools an exemption if they brought in PSU players.

But even if they didn't, no one is actually losing out.


Again: The NCAA sanctions, aside from vacating Paterno's wins, had absolutely no effect on any of the people actually involved in the Sandusky scandal.

Jobus Rum wrote:
Players at USC were punished for things done by Reggie Bush and Pete Carroll. Both walked Scott free. Players at Ohio State were punished for things done by Terrell Pryor and Jim Tressel, who rightfully lost his job...And so on and so forth. It sucks for all those kids...just how it has to work.


Except it doesn't really work. It's the equivalent of taking a kid's car away because his older brother got a DUI.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4932
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
The Pierogi wrote:
None of the NCAA sanctions aside from vacating Paterno's wins had any affect on the people who were actually part of the Sandusky scandal.


You just did an excellent job of explaining why the wins should remain vacated.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:50 am
Posts: 3147
Ice wrote:
The Pierogi wrote:
None of the NCAA sanctions aside from vacating Paterno's wins had any affect on the people who were actually part of the Sandusky scandal.


You just did an excellent job of explaining why the wins should remain vacated.


Technically Paterno followed the letter of the law per NCAA regulations and reported what he heard up the ladder. The NCAA is a joke.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5615
fortythree wrote:
Joe knew.

And these people celebrating outside Old Main right now are sick. Fuck Penn State.



The noted PSU hater. Must have spilled some coffee when you made that run this morning.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm
Posts: 3565
Ice wrote:
The Pierogi wrote:
None of the NCAA sanctions aside from vacating Paterno's wins had any affect on the people who were actually part of the Sandusky scandal.


You just did an excellent job of explaining why the wins should remain vacated.


I don't have any issue at all with those wins being vacated. And that should have been effect, not affect, my mistake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 pm
Posts: 2447
R S wrote:
fortythree wrote:
Joe knew.

And these people celebrating outside Old Main right now are sick. Fuck Penn State.



The noted PSU hater. Must have spilled some coffee when you made that run this morning.


:lol: :roll:

You've probably fetched more coffee in your life than I have. I laugh every time someone says that as an insult because people had no clue what my job entailed. But it's obvious your opinion was influenced by tv and movies from the 1960s and 70s when you say that.

I went to Penn State. I graduated from Penn State. The average student at Penn State is awful. Is it like that everywhere? Probably. But I didn't go everywhere. Just to Penn State. And those people are awful.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5615
Somebody was traumatized at PSU. I kinda figured there was some deep seeded reson for the outright hate. Sorry for your bad experience.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 pm
Posts: 2447
R S wrote:
Somebody was traumatized at PSU. I kinda figured there was some deep seeded reson for the outright hate. Sorry for your bad experience.


:lol: No traumatic experience. I just grew up outside of the JoePa fetish. I didn't grow up wanting to some day fondle Joe's balls so I saw right through all the bullshit and the indoctrination that goes along with time in Happy Valley.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4932
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
There's a line in RS's last post I won't touch with a ten foot pole. Don't want to be moderated.

I will, however, say this. A fellow faculty member at my school took his daughter, an honor student interested in pre-law, on a tour of Penn State on her college tour. He came back shocked that all the guide talked about was football in general, and Joe in particular. My colleague and his daughter were taken aback, and dismissed Penn State as an academic option pretty much immediately. I'm not saying that this probably doesn't go on at many football factory schools, but Forty definitely has a point on the culture of indoctrination at State College.

Pierogi, as an English teacher, I appreciate the grammatical mea culpa.

Perch, the time line suggests to me that Paterno did the right thing in his initial dismissal of Sandusky. Allowing him and his "foundation" continued access to university facilities afterwards was questionable, to say the least. I don't want to pull off a very old scab, but I just don't see those wins getting restored.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 pm
Posts: 2447
I love Penn State in general. I had a fantastic time there and I genuinely think it's an amazing college. If only people could realize that there's more to it than football.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4932
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
A fallacy perpetuated mostly by folks who have nothing to do with the university, other than what happens on Saturday afternoon. The problem is when the school itself buys into that fallacy when marketing itself to potential students.

I enjoy the fact that I graduated from a school that I can watch play football on fall Saturdays, and basketball in the winter and spring. Having long since left the institution and the area, it provides a connection to a great time in my life. I've always thought that was really the point of the whole thing. It definitely wasn't high on my list when I made the decision to attend, though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5615
deleted

_________________
Image


Last edited by R S on Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5615
Ice wrote:
A fallacy perpetuated mostly by folks who have nothing to do with the university, other than what happens on Saturday afternoon. The problem is when the school itself buys into that fallacy when marketing itself to potential students.

I enjoy the fact that I graduated from a school that I can watch play football on fall Saturdays, and basketball in the winter and spring. Having long since left the institution and the area, it provides a connection to a great time in my life. I've always thought that was really the point of the whole thing. It definitely wasn't high on my list when I made the decision to attend, though.


Sounds like a very poor tour guide and it's a shame the idiocy of a tour guide scared off a potential student. Given the fact that 95% of women don't give a rat's ass about football, what a dumb move...because it really is a great academic school in a great community.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4932
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
R S wrote:
Ice wrote:
A fallacy perpetuated mostly by folks who have nothing to do with the university, other than what happens on Saturday afternoon. The problem is when the school itself buys into that fallacy when marketing itself to potential students.

I enjoy the fact that I graduated from a school that I can watch play football on fall Saturdays, and basketball in the winter and spring. Having long since left the institution and the area, it provides a connection to a great time in my life. I've always thought that was really the point of the whole thing. It definitely wasn't high on my list when I made the decision to attend, though.


Sounds like a very poor tour guide and it's a shame the idiocy of a tour guide scared off a potential student. Given the fact that 95% of women don't give a rat's ass about football, what a dumb move...because it really is a great academic school in a great community.


It really is a fine academic institution, but I did those tours for a semester at Pitt. They are 100% scripted by the admissions department. No college or university whose degree is worth the paper it's printed on would allow tour guides to freelance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5615
If it truly was a scripted thing, I have to believe your friend was exaggerating a little. If I took a tour of Baltimore and the tour guide even talked up the Ravens for 10 seconds i'd be annoyed as hell. But, fact is, having a major football program is a draw for students. So I don't doubt there is a some mention in the tour.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 pm
Posts: 2447
Ice wrote:
R S wrote:
Ice wrote:
A fallacy perpetuated mostly by folks who have nothing to do with the university, other than what happens on Saturday afternoon. The problem is when the school itself buys into that fallacy when marketing itself to potential students.

I enjoy the fact that I graduated from a school that I can watch play football on fall Saturdays, and basketball in the winter and spring. Having long since left the institution and the area, it provides a connection to a great time in my life. I've always thought that was really the point of the whole thing. It definitely wasn't high on my list when I made the decision to attend, though.


Sounds like a very poor tour guide and it's a shame the idiocy of a tour guide scared off a potential student. Given the fact that 95% of women don't give a rat's ass about football, what a dumb move...because it really is a great academic school in a great community.


It really is a fine academic institution, but I did those tours for a semester at Pitt. They are 100% scripted by the admissions department. No college or university whose degree is worth the paper it's printed on would allow tour guides to freelance.


I can clear this up.

Penn State Ambassadors memorize scripts but each script varies depending on which route the tour takes. They don't all travel in the same parts of campus. But they do spend a lot of time talking football and Joe Paterno.

These tours are unavoidable when you're on campus. I spent 3 years in Happy Valley and I cannot recall a single time where I heard a tour guide giving talking about Joe and football while in the heart of the campus, it's almost always reserved for areas where it would make sense.

Then again I graduated before Joe's disgraceful exit so maybe that's a thing they do now. It wouldn't surprise me.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group