It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:18 am 

The Pierogi wrote:
None of the NCAA sanctions aside from vacating Paterno's wins had any affect on the people who were actually part of the Sandusky scandal.

You just did an excellent job of explaining why the wins should remain vacated.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:54 am 

Ice wrote:
The Pierogi wrote:
None of the NCAA sanctions aside from vacating Paterno's wins had any affect on the people who were actually part of the Sandusky scandal.

Technically Paterno followed the letter of the law per NCAA regulations and reported what he heard up the ladder. The NCAA is a joke.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:04 am 

fortythree wrote:
Joe knew.

And these people celebrating outside Old Main right now are sick. Fuck Penn State.

The noted PSU hater. Must have spilled some coffee when you made that run this morning.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:56 am 

Ice wrote:
The Pierogi wrote:

I don't have any issue at all with those wins being vacated. And that should have been effect, not affect, my mistake.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:44 pm 

R S wrote:
fortythree wrote:
Joe knew.

And these people celebrating outside Old Main right now are sick. Fuck Penn State.

The noted PSU hater. Must have spilled some coffee when you made that run this morning.

:lol: :roll:

You've probably fetched more coffee in your life than I have. I laugh every time someone says that as an insult because people had no clue what my job entailed. But it's obvious your opinion was influenced by tv and movies from the 1960s and 70s when you say that.

I went to Penn State. I graduated from Penn State. The average student at Penn State is awful. Is it like that everywhere? Probably. But I didn't go everywhere. Just to Penn State. And those people are awful.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:32 pm 

Somebody was traumatized at PSU. I kinda figured there was some deep seeded reson for the outright hate. Sorry for your bad experience.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:14 pm 

R S wrote:
Somebody was traumatized at PSU. I kinda figured there was some deep seeded reson for the outright hate. Sorry for your bad experience.

:lol: No traumatic experience. I just grew up outside of the JoePa fetish. I didn't grow up wanting to some day fondle Joe's balls so I saw right through all the bullshit and the indoctrination that goes along with time in Happy Valley.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:38 pm 

There's a line in RS's last post I won't touch with a ten foot pole. Don't want to be moderated.

I will, however, say this. A fellow faculty member at my school took his daughter, an honor student interested in pre-law, on a tour of Penn State on her college tour. He came back shocked that all the guide talked about was football in general, and Joe in particular. My colleague and his daughter were taken aback, and dismissed Penn State as an academic option pretty much immediately. I'm not saying that this probably doesn't go on at many football factory schools, but Forty definitely has a point on the culture of indoctrination at State College.

Pierogi, as an English teacher, I appreciate the grammatical mea culpa.

Perch, the time line suggests to me that Paterno did the right thing in his initial dismissal of Sandusky. Allowing him and his "foundation" continued access to university facilities afterwards was questionable, to say the least. I don't want to pull off a very old scab, but I just don't see those wins getting restored.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:47 pm 

I love Penn State in general. I had a fantastic time there and I genuinely think it's an amazing college. If only people could realize that there's more to it than football.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:55 pm 

A fallacy perpetuated mostly by folks who have nothing to do with the university, other than what happens on Saturday afternoon. The problem is when the school itself buys into that fallacy when marketing itself to potential students.

I enjoy the fact that I graduated from a school that I can watch play football on fall Saturdays, and basketball in the winter and spring. Having long since left the institution and the area, it provides a connection to a great time in my life. I've always thought that was really the point of the whole thing. It definitely wasn't high on my list when I made the decision to attend, though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:23 pm 

deleted

Last edited by R S on Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:24 pm 

Ice wrote:
A fallacy perpetuated mostly by folks who have nothing to do with the university, other than what happens on Saturday afternoon. The problem is when the school itself buys into that fallacy when marketing itself to potential students.

I enjoy the fact that I graduated from a school that I can watch play football on fall Saturdays, and basketball in the winter and spring. Having long since left the institution and the area, it provides a connection to a great time in my life. I've always thought that was really the point of the whole thing. It definitely wasn't high on my list when I made the decision to attend, though.

Sounds like a very poor tour guide and it's a shame the idiocy of a tour guide scared off a potential student. Given the fact that 95% of women don't give a rat's ass about football, what a dumb move...because it really is a great academic school in a great community.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:53 pm 

R S wrote:
Ice wrote:

Sounds like a very poor tour guide and it's a shame the idiocy of a tour guide scared off a potential student. Given the fact that 95% of women don't give a rat's ass about football, what a dumb move...because it really is a great academic school in a great community.

It really is a fine academic institution, but I did those tours for a semester at Pitt. They are 100% scripted by the admissions department. No college or university whose degree is worth the paper it's printed on would allow tour guides to freelance.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:51 am 

If it truly was a scripted thing, I have to believe your friend was exaggerating a little. If I took a tour of Baltimore and the tour guide even talked up the Ravens for 10 seconds i'd be annoyed as hell. But, fact is, having a major football program is a draw for students. So I don't doubt there is a some mention in the tour.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:46 pm 

Ice wrote:
R S wrote:
Ice wrote:

It really is a fine academic institution, but I did those tours for a semester at Pitt. They are 100% scripted by the admissions department. No college or university whose degree is worth the paper it's printed on would allow tour guides to freelance.

I can clear this up.

Penn State Ambassadors memorize scripts but each script varies depending on which route the tour takes. They don't all travel in the same parts of campus. But they do spend a lot of time talking football and Joe Paterno.

These tours are unavoidable when you're on campus. I spent 3 years in Happy Valley and I cannot recall a single time where I heard a tour guide giving talking about Joe and football while in the heart of the campus, it's almost always reserved for areas where it would make sense.

Then again I graduated before Joe's disgraceful exit so maybe that's a thing they do now. It wouldn't surprise me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:04 am 

Ice wrote:
I think it's a great thing for the current staff and players that the ban has been lifted and the scholarships restored. It was a pretty clear overreaction by the NCAA, though understandable, given the unprecedented nature of the situation. None of these coaches or players had anything to do with it, though, so this is fair.

That's as far as it's going, though. Paterno, whether knowingly or not, participated in the situation, the cover-up, the whole nine. I would be surprised if the wins are restored. I understand he's still a beloved figure, and I get that the Sandusky thing had nothing to do with play on the field; but it was going on at the time, and it should affect his personal legacy. The taking away of those wins (the portion of his legacy of which he may have been most proud) seems like decent poetic justice to me.

No...the taking away of the wins was a petulant over-reaction.

Firing Paterno and punishing the program was enough.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:30 am 

Quote:
I can clear this up.

Penn State Ambassadors memorize scripts but each script varies depending on which route the tour takes. They don't all travel in the same parts of campus. But they do spend a lot of time talking football and Joe Paterno.

These tours are unavoidable when you're on campus. I spent 3 years in Happy Valley and I cannot recall a single time where I heard a tour guide giving talking about Joe and football while in the heart of the campus, it's almost always reserved for areas where it would make sense.

Then again I graduated before Joe's disgraceful exit so maybe that's a thing they do now. It wouldn't surprise me.

This makes sense. I'm not saying this is the case, but if Ice's friend is from Ohio and a Buckeye fan it wouldn't take more than a few mentions of the football team to annoy him. Same would go for me if a Baltimore tour guide started talking up the Ravens.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:12 am 

Jeemie wrote:
Ice wrote:
I think it's a great thing for the current staff and players that the ban has been lifted and the scholarships restored. It was a pretty clear overreaction by the NCAA, though understandable, given the unprecedented nature of the situation. None of these coaches or players had anything to do with it, though, so this is fair.

That's as far as it's going, though. Paterno, whether knowingly or not, participated in the situation, the cover-up, the whole nine. I would be surprised if the wins are restored. I understand he's still a beloved figure, and I get that the Sandusky thing had nothing to do with play on the field; but it was going on at the time, and it should affect his personal legacy. The taking away of those wins (the portion of his legacy of which he may have been most proud) seems like decent poetic justice to me.

No...the taking away of the wins was a petulant over-reaction.

Firing Paterno and punishing the program was enough.

Agreed, Jeems...100%

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:14 am 

fortythree wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
This year's seniors, and red-shirt juniors, were freshman when this broke. They had nothing to do with any of this.

They were being punished.

And they were free to transfer to any team they wanted without sitting out.

So no, they weren't being punished.

Maybe they like it at Penn State, for football AND for everything else. They shouldn't need to transfer. So yeah...they were being punished.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:41 am 

R S wrote:
Quote:
I can clear this up.

This makes sense. I'm not saying this is the case, but if Ice's friend is from Ohio and a Buckeye fan it wouldn't take more than a few mentions of the football team to annoy him. Same would go for me if a Baltimore tour guide started talking up the Ravens.

My colleague is a teacher in Delaware.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:54 pm 

Can you list his likes/dislikes. Music and food preferences, shoe size, and desired sexual position so maybe we can dig into this deeper to give you closure on why you're friend didn't have the experience he wanted.

Too simple to just think that maybe it was just his tour guide

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:37 pm 

Do you want to date him? Or maybe talk football?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:12 pm 

Ice wrote:
R S wrote:
Quote:
I can clear this up.

My colleague is a teacher in Delaware.

My point being, if he was somewhat anti-PSU football going into the tour, it wouldnt take but a mere comment or two about the program to annoy someone.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:17 pm 

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. Just about everyone who teaches with me went to UD, so no anti Penn State bias from him. He was just surprised by the content of the tour is all.