It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: PSU post season ban dropped
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:18 am 

The Pierogi wrote:
None of the NCAA sanctions aside from vacating Paterno's wins had any affect on the people who were actually part of the Sandusky scandal.

You just did an excellent job of explaining why the wins should remain vacated.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:54 am 

Ice wrote:
The Pierogi wrote:
None of the NCAA sanctions aside from vacating Paterno's wins had any affect on the people who were actually part of the Sandusky scandal.

Technically Paterno followed the letter of the law per NCAA regulations and reported what he heard up the ladder. The NCAA is a joke.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:04 am 

fortythree wrote:
Joe knew.

And these people celebrating outside Old Main right now are sick. Fuck Penn State.

The noted PSU hater. Must have spilled some coffee when you made that run this morning.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:56 am 

Ice wrote:
The Pierogi wrote:

I don't have any issue at all with those wins being vacated. And that should have been effect, not affect, my mistake.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:44 pm 

R S wrote:
fortythree wrote:
Joe knew.

And these people celebrating outside Old Main right now are sick. Fuck Penn State.

The noted PSU hater. Must have spilled some coffee when you made that run this morning.

:lol: :roll:

You've probably fetched more coffee in your life than I have. I laugh every time someone says that as an insult because people had no clue what my job entailed. But it's obvious your opinion was influenced by tv and movies from the 1960s and 70s when you say that.

I went to Penn State. I graduated from Penn State. The average student at Penn State is awful. Is it like that everywhere? Probably. But I didn't go everywhere. Just to Penn State. And those people are awful.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:32 pm 

Somebody was traumatized at PSU. I kinda figured there was some deep seeded reson for the outright hate. Sorry for your bad experience.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:14 pm 

R S wrote:
Somebody was traumatized at PSU. I kinda figured there was some deep seeded reson for the outright hate. Sorry for your bad experience.

:lol: No traumatic experience. I just grew up outside of the JoePa fetish. I didn't grow up wanting to some day fondle Joe's balls so I saw right through all the bullshit and the indoctrination that goes along with time in Happy Valley.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:38 pm 

There's a line in RS's last post I won't touch with a ten foot pole. Don't want to be moderated.

I will, however, say this. A fellow faculty member at my school took his daughter, an honor student interested in pre-law, on a tour of Penn State on her college tour. He came back shocked that all the guide talked about was football in general, and Joe in particular. My colleague and his daughter were taken aback, and dismissed Penn State as an academic option pretty much immediately. I'm not saying that this probably doesn't go on at many football factory schools, but Forty definitely has a point on the culture of indoctrination at State College.

Pierogi, as an English teacher, I appreciate the grammatical mea culpa.

Perch, the time line suggests to me that Paterno did the right thing in his initial dismissal of Sandusky. Allowing him and his "foundation" continued access to university facilities afterwards was questionable, to say the least. I don't want to pull off a very old scab, but I just don't see those wins getting restored.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:47 pm 

I love Penn State in general. I had a fantastic time there and I genuinely think it's an amazing college. If only people could realize that there's more to it than football.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:55 pm 

A fallacy perpetuated mostly by folks who have nothing to do with the university, other than what happens on Saturday afternoon. The problem is when the school itself buys into that fallacy when marketing itself to potential students.

I enjoy the fact that I graduated from a school that I can watch play football on fall Saturdays, and basketball in the winter and spring. Having long since left the institution and the area, it provides a connection to a great time in my life. I've always thought that was really the point of the whole thing. It definitely wasn't high on my list when I made the decision to attend, though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next