It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Time to start talking edge rushers
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:18 pm 

Because it's always a good time to talk draft. With the young pieces in the secondary, the only true weakness on the roster is edge rusher. This draft I feel they need to double dip to replace Harrison and Jarvis. I have no problem with them resigning Jones to play the 2 down LB role, but don't even bother using him as a pas rusher.

So go ahead and start filling this thread up with draft eligible edge rushers. My target, Barnett, has probably already played himself out of Pittsburgh range, although I they they should consider a trade up to target a top pass rusher next year.

Ejuan Price from Pitt has a Elvis Dumervil quality to his game. He would be my 2nd target after taking the top edge rusher I could find in round 1. Price has an injury history, is short, and is severely over aged. He could be a steal later in the draft.

Post subject: Re: Time to start talking edge rushers
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:07 pm 

I too have professed my love for Derek Barnett but should the Steelers ride deep into the playoffs they're going to have to trade up to get him...WAY up.

CBS recently dropped Mizzous Charles Harris down into the 30s. He has 3-4 olb experience and would be a nice target as would Carl Lawson who I believe lept up from 43 to 26 on their rankings.

I've never seen the Smoot kid from Illinois play but I'm guessing Tomlins boy Lovie Smith will talk him up.

A lot of late rd sleepers... How about Derek Rivers? 6'4 255 is Youngstown st's all time leading sack man who from all I've read is an athletic beast for Bo Pelinis Penguins.

Soooo many names so little time to discuss.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:46 pm 

Would the Steeler consider Devonte Fields Louisville? Has the talent but also has character red flags (like Noah Spence).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:59 pm 

List of guys that are less hyped I found. You've got, Barnett, Garrett, Fields, Harris, Lawson and Williams. Then you have the names listed below.

Like Neal from LSU, seems to be a good fit. Also partial to Hubbard (OSU), Walker (FSU) and Kalambayi from Stanford. Have to research some of the others listed.

Kemoko Turay, Rutgers – RS Junior

Sam Hubbard, Ohio State – RS Sophomore

Al-Quadin Muhammad, Miami – RS Junior

Harold Landry, Boston College – Junior

Dawuane Smoot, Illinois – Senior

Deatrich Wise, Arkansas – RS Senior

Ryan Anderson, Alabama – RS Senior

Vince Biegel, Wisconsin – RS Senior

Andrew Trumbetti, Notre Dame – Junior

Nick DeLuca, North Dakota State – Senior

DeMarcus Walker, Florida State – Senior

Lewis Neal, LSU – Senior

Daeshon Hall, Texas A&M – Senior

Marquis Haynes, Mississippi – Junior

Bryan Cox, Florida – RS Senior

Kylie Fitts, Utah – RS Senior

Ken Ekanem, Virginia Tech – RS Senior

DaShawn Hand, Alabama – Junior

Tyquan Lewis, Ohio State – RS Junior

Chad Thomas, Miami – Junior

Lorenzo Carter, Georgia – Junior

Hunter Dimick, Utah – RS Senior

Darius English, South Carolina – RS Senior

Darius Hamilton, Rutgers – RS Senior

Ifeadi Odenigbo, Northwestern – RS Senior

Peter Kalambayi, Stanford – RS Junior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:08 pm 

77 thanks for the list. Lotta good football players that we will all discuss at length leading up to the draft.

The Landry kid really impressed me against Clemson last week.

I've seen a lot of Lorenzo Carter both in high school and UGA. Looks great getting off the bus. Kirby Smarts personal project but a true junior. Doubt he declares

Man the SEC is loaded.

And almost forgot Joe Mathis out in Washington. Kid was chaos and mayhem in blowout wins over Stanford and the Ducks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:42 am 

These are the guys I've been able to watch so far and have an educated opinion.

Myles Garrett, Texas A&M- Obviously the best edge defender in this class and its not even close if you ask me. Has it all.

Derek Barnett, Tennessee- Another guy who won't be in our range. Does anyone other than me think he's playing to heavy? He'd be more explosive if he played closer to 260. He's playing around 280lbs and thats way too big.

Charles Harris, Missouri- Here's a guy I can get behind. Missouri has been putting outside some talent on the edge and he's just as quick as the others. This guy reminds a little bit of Jabaal Sheard when he came out. I had a good grade on Sheard.

Carl Lawson, Auburn- This guy reminds me a lot of Markus Golden. He's a guy who isn't the best athlete on the edge, but he's a sneaky good pass rusher. Plays a little upright and stiff but his advanced handwork helps him get around the opposition. Not very good when asked to change direction and chase the play down.

Ejuan Price, Pittsburgh- Couldn't agree more with the Elvis Dumervil comparisons. He's incredibly quick off the line and while he isn't the biggest, he understands leverage and uses it to his strengths.

Daeshon Hall, Texas A&M- Hall is the classic 43 DE. Great length, good power, and an active motor. He's a bit overshadowed by Garrett, but I think he's going to have a productive career.

Tim Williams, Alabama- This guy was on fire last year, having 10 sacks in a limited pass rushing role. However, he hasn't carried it over to this season. He's still a talented player with a good motor and great quickness off the line, but I need to see more out of him.

Dawuane Smoo, Illinoist- Another guy whose best football is ahead of him. He's stuck on a bad team. He's a great athlete who can really bend and run the arc. He hasn't got a sack this year, but he is consistently making plays behind the line and impacting the game.

Takkarist McKinley, UCLA- Very quick off the line, speed is his best weapon. A gifted athlete who consistently gets pressure. Was nicked up to start the year with a groin injury.

Harold Landry, Boston College- A guy I noticed last year for his ability to defend the run and set the edge. Has a great motor and is as strong as an ox.

Carroll Phillips, Illinois- Yeah, a name you won't recognize unless you've seen Illinois play this year. He's not very big but he's got a great get off and is a good athlete.

Deatrich Wise, Arkansas- An absolute beast defending the run and setting the edge. I don't feel like he is real edge rushing threat at the next level.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:25 am 

By all reports, Takkarist McKinley will be moving up draft boards. He looked impressive vs Utah. Could be a 1st round choice.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:37 am 

jebrick wrote:
By all reports, Takkarist McKinley will be moving up draft boards. He looked impressive vs Utah. Could be a 1st round choice.

Yep, flying up boards right now.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:32 am 

Demarcus Walker of FSU has dominated some big games this year. He was unstoppable in the Florida and Ole Miss games. I have to think he's a late first rounder at this point. You want an athletic pass rusher, this might be your guy. Lawson and or Walker should be there when the Steelers pick in round 1. That's comforting.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:06 am 

SP wrote:
Demarcus Walker of FSU has dominated some big games this year. He was unstoppable in the Florida and Ole Miss games. I have to think he's a late first rounder at this point. You want an athletic pass rusher, this might be your guy. Lawson and or Walker should be there when the Steelers pick in round 1. That's comforting.

I watched 2nd half of Florida states win last night. Kid owns Florida with 4 sacks past 2 meetings. What I like about Walker is they move him all over the line. He got a sack from defensive tackle. Seems to be the leader of the defense. Watch out for Tavares McFadden. Sophomore but leads fbs in ints. Like walker this kid always stands out to me when I catch a Florida st game