It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:35 pm 

superk wrote:
agree. plus they can't play more games. these guys are finished physically at this time and the NFL bound are starting combine prep (need to look good in shorts doing shuttle run and burpees so you catch Tomlin's eye)

College is just different. NFL is a single winner. Anything less is a losa in draft position. College has many winners. division, rivalry, conference, bowl, and the Natty. college football is dialed in right now....

I disagree. I am sure that every other level of college football requires you to win 4 games in the tournament to win a national title FCS, D-2, D-3 NAIA anything that I am missing?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:40 pm 

jebrick wrote:
So Western Michigan should be in the championship?

No, the Power 5 Leagues should break away from those other teams, since they aren't at the same level. Then the Power 5 Champions, every one, should be in the playoff, so make it 8 teams, the P5 Champs and 3 wild cards for the BEST TEAMS that are LOSERS on the field of play and couldn't win their leagues..

Or, yes WMU should be in, I would even be ok with the P5 Champs., 2 wild cards and the best of the non-P5 Champs, which would be CMU this year. Why not? If they're considered all D1-A, then it's only right that any one of the 120+ teams in it should be able to get in. and if the 3rd best LOSER from the SEC or B1G is left out, I won't be crying.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:41 pm 

superk wrote:
Western Michigan should be in their respective places of worship, praying Wisconsin gets the date wrong and doesn't show up.....

I'll be rooting for WM, any time a team like that succeeds it blows up the system a little more each time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:11 am 

Nick79 wrote:
jebrick wrote:

No, the Power 5 Leagues should break away from those other teams, since they aren't at the same level. Then the Power 5 Champions, every one, should be in the playoff, so make it 8 teams, the P5 Champs and 3 wild cards for the BEST TEAMS that are LOSERS on the field of play and couldn't win their leagues..

Or, yes WMU should be in, I would even be ok with the P5 Champs., 2 wild cards and the best of the non-P5 Champs, which would be CMU this year. Why not? If they're considered all D1-A, then it's only right that any one of the 120+ teams in it should be able to get in. and if the 3rd best LOSER from the SEC or B1G is left out, I won't be crying.

So Western Michigan should only get in if they expand the bracket? Not on being undefeated and winning their conference. So wins mean nothing on the field. Someone else gets to decide who is allowed in the playoffs not based on wins.

You just want a different way of deciding which teams get into the playoffs. It is still not based on wins. The underdog can never be invited to the dance.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:33 am 

jebrick wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
jebrick wrote:

So Western Michigan should only get in if they expand the bracket? Not on being undefeated and winning their conference. So wins mean nothing on the field. Someone else gets to decide who is allowed in the playoffs not based on wins.

You just want a different way of deciding which teams get into the playoffs. It is still not based on wins. The underdog can never be invited to the dance.

Myself, ME, since WMU's league is considered, D1-A, same as the SEC or B1G. I'd be ok with them getting in right now, since technically they are at the same "level" as the teams that are in. I just didn't bring it up because that would really freak people out.

In1984, BYU was an undefeated non-Power 5 team, they went 13-0 and won the NC by defeating 6-5 Michigan in the Holiday bowl before NYD, so there is a precedent for it, they stayed ranked #1 through the end, basically just for being unbeaten.

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2009/08/06/byu-1984

Personally, I WANT the underdogs in, If I could really have my way, I'd have a 16 team tournament and invite ALL ELEVEN conference champs, yup MAC, Sun Belt, USA, AAC all of them and 5 wild cards.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:59 pm 

I think i forgot to mention that they suck. That was good enough reason to keep them out

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:23 am 

Western Michigan and Boise State should not be in the playoffs...unless...

they advance to the Big 10 or the Pac 10 through a promotion/relegation system similar to EPL soccer.

The system should be as follows with two team promotion/relegation on an annual basis between tier one and two:

Big 10-MAC
Pac 10-Big West
Big 12-Mountain West
SEC-SunBelt/CUSA
ACC-AAC

Also instead of worthless pre-Christmas bowls, teams would be playing relegation bowls to stay in the top tier.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:31 am 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Western Michigan and Boise State should not be in the playoffs...unless...

they advance to the Big 10 or the Pac 10 through a promotion/relegation system similar to EPL soccer.

The system should be as follows with two team promotion/relegation on an annual basis between tier one and two:

Big 10-MAC
Pac 10-Big West
Big 12-Mountain West
SEC-SunBelt/CUSA
ACC-AAC

Also instead of worthless pre-Christmas bowls, teams would be playing relegation bowls to stay in the top tier.

I am a big fan of relegation/promotion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10