It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16811
swissvale72 wrote:
B2B....you KNOW I've never wavered from my stance that I absolutely credit Mike Tomlin for the Steelers 6th Super Bowl trophy in '08....I've NEVER minimized his impact on that season.

I mean people say 2008 and 2010 are Soooooo long ago and what have you done for me lately are also saying 48-14, which is a lifetime ago.

_________________
bradshaw2ben wrote:
PIT 30, LAC 17, NFL 16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4927
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
bradshaw2ben wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
B2B....you KNOW I've never wavered from my stance that I absolutely credit Mike Tomlin for the Steelers 6th Super Bowl trophy in '08....I've NEVER minimized his impact on that season.

I mean people say 2008 and 2010 are Soooooo long ago and what have you done for me lately are also saying 48-14, which is a lifetime ago.


It's official. All threads are potentially Tomlin threads.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5606
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Charles Demarr wrote:
We'll agree to disagree. Go check out Corey Davis and Zach Terrell from WMU. They are going to beat someone up on New Year's day. They are legit.

Great running game too. PJ Fleck is going to get paid after bowl season.

That someone is going to be Penn State, adding to the angst here.

I think we should immediately-- as in next year-- go to an 8 team playoff, with at least 1 non power conference or whatever they are calling them these days school. Imagine every year, the top non power school program... Boise State, Western Michigan, etc. gets a shot vs the #1 team in the land. Well worth seeing their Rocky moment.

Furthermore, there 100% ought to be relegations in college football. North Dakota State can move up, Kansas can move down. Do that for a few years and then this playoff system will begin to make perfect sense.


Didn't western michigan just squeak one out vs the Ohio Bobcats? And you think they beat up PSU? Get real

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5606
Wisconsin will beat Western Michigan by 17

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23687
R S wrote:
Didn't western michigan just squeak one out vs the Ohio Bobcats? And you think they beat up PSU? Get real


I think it would take a lot for B2B to admit Penn State is pretty damn good.

I am fully expecting a "Here's why USC will rout Penn State" post form him at some point.

(Actually, I am nervous about that game, if only because of the four-week layoff).

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 3195
USC v Penn State should be one of the better games on News Years. USC is playing really really well. Their freshman QB is very good. Penn State is also playing well. I hope both schools come in and want to win.

_________________
To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
- Henri Poincaré


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5606
Jeemie wrote:
R S wrote:
Didn't western michigan just squeak one out vs the Ohio Bobcats? And you think they beat up PSU? Get real


I think it would take a lot for B2B to admit Penn State is pretty damn good.

I am fully expecting a "Here's why USC will rout Penn State" post form him at some point.

(Actually, I am nervous about that game, if only because of the four-week layoff).


That's Pitt fans for you.

I have a friend who's a huge Pitt fan. Of course he said PSU is way overrated. I told him they just won the best conference in the nation this year. He was aghast that anyone would consider the Big Ten the best .

I said 4 teams in the top 10?

He again used the overrated word for those top 10 teams.

I asked him to name 10 teams better than PSU., he named OSU Mich CLEM Wash OK USC and Bama

I said thank you so youre they are a top 10 team along with 2-3 other BIG Ten schools.

Some biases are just sooooo strong it doens't matter.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 7088
Quote:
I told him they just won the best conference in the nation this year. He was aghast that anyone would consider the Big Ten the best .

I don't know how anyone could argue this.
And I'm not so sure the PSU, playing as well as anyone right now, wouldn't give Bama all they could handle...

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:46 pm
Posts: 1408
R S wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Charles Demarr wrote:
We'll agree to disagree. Go check out Corey Davis and Zach Terrell from WMU. They are going to beat someone up on New Year's day. They are legit.

Great running game too. PJ Fleck is going to get paid after bowl season.

That someone is going to be Penn State, adding to the angst here.

I think we should immediately-- as in next year-- go to an 8 team playoff, with at least 1 non power conference or whatever they are calling them these days school. Imagine every year, the top non power school program... Boise State, Western Michigan, etc. gets a shot vs the #1 team in the land. Well worth seeing their Rocky moment.

Furthermore, there 100% ought to be relegations in college football. North Dakota State can move up, Kansas can move down. Do that for a few years and then this playoff system will begin to make perfect sense.


Didn't western michigan just squeak one out vs the Ohio Bobcats? And you think they beat up PSU? Get real


Arguably Western's worst performance of the year. They looked sloppy and out of sync. 4 weeks to get things corrected, they will give Wisconsin a game.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16811
Jeemie wrote:
R S wrote:
Didn't western michigan just squeak one out vs the Ohio Bobcats? And you think they beat up PSU? Get real


I think it would take a lot for B2B to admit Penn State is pretty damn good.

I am fully expecting a "Here's why USC will rout Penn State" post form him at some point.

(Actually, I am nervous about that game, if only because of the four-week layoff).

I don't think USC is any good on offense, so feels like PSU should be a decent favorite. I do hate them but I'm not stupid about it!

_________________
bradshaw2ben wrote:
PIT 30, LAC 17, NFL 16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16811
Charles Demarr wrote:
Arguably Western's worst performance of the year. They looked sloppy and out of sync. 4 weeks to get things corrected, they will give Wisconsin a game.

The game also means about a 1000 times more to Western Michigan than it does to Wisconsin. Important factor.

_________________
bradshaw2ben wrote:
PIT 30, LAC 17, NFL 16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4927
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Charles Demarr wrote:
Arguably Western's worst performance of the year. They looked sloppy and out of sync. 4 weeks to get things corrected, they will give Wisconsin a game.

The game also means about a 1000 times more to Western Michigan than it does to Wisconsin. Important factor.


One of the biggest, when trying to predict bowl matchups.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5606
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Charles Demarr wrote:
Arguably Western's worst performance of the year. They looked sloppy and out of sync. 4 weeks to get things corrected, they will give Wisconsin a game.

The game also means about a 1000 times more to Western Michigan than it does to Wisconsin. Important factor.


I don't know. It's not like Wisconsin just missed the playoff or something and is a returning national champ. The bowl game should mean just as much to them as anyone else. Why wouldn't it?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4927
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Wisconsin could have won the conference championship. They didn't. If PSU makes the CFP, they might go to the Rose Bowl (personally think Richigan would have gone ahead of them). They didn't. Being disappointed in the results of the invite process gets teams all the time. Chryst has some work to do.

For Western Michigan, this is like the Super Bowl, if the Super Bowl was played every (insert number of years of the school's existence here) years. These kids were probably all told they weren't good enough by any number of Big Ten schools. Coach is one hell of a motivator. They're underdogs, playing with house money.

Not an ideal psychological matchup for the Badgers by any means.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:23 pm
Posts: 1050
Wisconsin is going to road grate Western Michigan....

Western will not hold up against the run.....

Great season, Coach seems legit, good for the kids. undefeated is undefeated. But they don't have the horses for this rodeo......

biggest let downs come when big time programs with lax discipline policies underperform during year and a bunch of the elite players are thinking combine instead of bowl game.......that ain't Wisconsin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4927
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Wisconsin hasn't had to cover anyone as talented as Corey Davis this season. There's more horses on that Western Michigan team than most folks are giving them credit for.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16811
Ice wrote:
Wisconsin hasn't had to cover anyone as talented as Corey Davis this season. There's more horses on that Western Michigan team than most folks are giving them credit for.

Corey Davis is the real deal.

_________________
bradshaw2ben wrote:
PIT 30, LAC 17, NFL 16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:46 pm
Posts: 1408
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Ice wrote:
Wisconsin hasn't had to cover anyone as talented as Corey Davis this season. There's more horses on that Western Michigan team than most folks are giving them credit for.

Corey Davis is the real deal.


You know my feelings on Davis. I think he is clearly the best WR in the draft, and possibly the best offensive player. I think his stock blows up at the combine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:46 pm
Posts: 1408
Ice wrote:
Wisconsin hasn't had to cover anyone as talented as Corey Davis this season. There's more horses on that Western Michigan team than most folks are giving them credit for.


They have an excellent two back offense...Jarvion Franklin is a legitimate pro prospect as well


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 am
Posts: 3818
I'll never be interested until all Power 5 champs get an automatic bid.

I'd suggest the 5 champions and 3 wild cards. 8 team tournament.

Myself, I'd always prefer to see teams make a tournament by WINNING GAMES ON THE FIELD, rather than be the opinion based, subjective "best teams''.

So have 5 CHAMPIONS, that EARNED their spot by WINNING GAMES ON THE FIELD and 3 LOSERS, that are JUDGED "best" BY OPINION, who get a corporate welfare bid and 2nd chance after FAILING.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4927
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Nick79 wrote:
I'll never be interested until all Power 5 champs get an automatic bid.

I'd suggest the 5 champions and 3 wild cards. 8 team tournament.

Myself, I'd always prefer to see teams make a tournament by WINNING GAMES ON THE FIELD, rather than be the opinion based, subjective "best teams''.

So have 5 CHAMPIONS, that EARNED their spot by WINNING GAMES ON THE FIELD and 3 LOSERS, that are JUDGED "best" BY OPINION, who get a corporate welfare bid and 2nd chance after FAILING.


Pretty sure everybody in the playoff won a few big games.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7449
College football, to me, is like Lucy with the football. They reel me in, get me interested, have compelling games.....then retreat into a room with Condoleeza Rice and 11 dudes to "discuss" who should play for the national championship.

Meanwhile, commentators like the twin douchebags, Mike & Mike, yammer on about how this could have been different had Penn State lost to Michigan by 7, beat Wisconsin by 30.

Style points matter...and THAT is the bullshit of college football.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 am
Posts: 3818
Ice wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
I'll never be interested until all Power 5 champs get an automatic bid.

I'd suggest the 5 champions and 3 wild cards. 8 team tournament.

Myself, I'd always prefer to see teams make a tournament by WINNING GAMES ON THE FIELD, rather than be the opinion based, subjective "best teams''.

So have 5 CHAMPIONS, that EARNED their spot by WINNING GAMES ON THE FIELD and 3 LOSERS, that are JUDGED "best" BY OPINION, who get a corporate welfare bid and 2nd chance after FAILING.


Pretty sure everybody in the playoff won a few big games.


But I want it PREDETERMINED, to know exactly which games send you into the playoff if you win them, like conference championships. Then everyone knows their path in advance and it's totally objective.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4927
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
I kind of like that the outcome isn't predetermined.

The thing is, you're evaluating a bunch of 18-22 year old kids, for the most part. They can quite literally grow up and change as a season goes on. They play in different conferences, in different parts of the country, and even if they're playing common opponents, they're playing them at different times in their own respective seasons. It just really isn't possible to take subjective evaluation out of the equation.

If you can't handle that, may I humbly suggest that you stick to professional football.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:23 pm
Posts: 1050
College football in its current form is just awesome

regular season matters, non conference opponents matter, even what are essentially exhibition games at seasons end matters. Conference championship does matter, but not the sole determination for getting a shot at Natty. I'm totally satisfied with the results. If Florida had pulled the upset against Bama, you really want to see them in??

Big Ten has been resurrected. SEC vulnerable. ACC getting better each year. No one knows anything about any west coast teams but they seem to pass a lot. Only thing missing right now is Texas and hopefully they right that ship soon.

Lane Kiffen to Florida Atlantic????? Wow he must have some serious skeletons for that to be happening.....


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group