It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Mock
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:28 pm 

What can I say? I always have my eye towards the draft. With that, here's my first mock:

Parameters:
1. Steelers draft 17th.
2. Steelers do not get any compensation picks based on the signings and free agents of this past offseason.
3. Steelers tender the following restricted free agents: P Brad Wing, LB Terrance Gravin, OG Chris Hubbard, FB Will Johnson, DB Robert Golden, and Antwan Blake.
4. Steelers resign the following players: LS Greg Warren, LB Arthur Moats, TE Matt Spaeth, CB Brice McCain, and DB Will Allen.

Selections:
1. CB PJ Williams, Florida State
2. LT Corey Robinson, South Carolina
3. OLB Hauoli Kikaha, Washington
4. WR Kevin White, West Virginia
5. OLB Owamagbe Odighizuwa, UCLA
6. TE Rory Anderson, South Carolina
7. NT Terry Williams, East Carolina

Post subject: Re: First Mock
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:56 pm 

I like the positional breakdown, with an exception. We definitely need CB, and LT looks like it's going to need addressed, AGAIN, with a premium pick. It doesn't, however, solve the problem with the run game. I don't love the idea of taking a traditional nose tackle that high (and truthfully, I don't think Tomlin likes the idea, either), but unless more practice really is the answer, something needs done to shore up that hole in the middle of the D-line. This staff has shown zero interest in picking NT or CB in the first round, though. Maybe this is the year.

Just too bad it looks like another year where they have more holes than they do impact picks to fill those holes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:05 pm 

If Rory Anderson is available with a sixth round pick, sign me up. I think he's got stud written all over him.

Hard to value CBs without measurables since, of all the positions on the field, that one is so dependent on them.

OLB Owamagbe Odighizuwa, UCLA is the only other player I've watched enough to offer an educated opinion on. Before this year, he has been more or less looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. Is he a late bloomer? I don't know. I do think he would instantly be our best player versus the run, and offers upside rushing the passer. In the fifth round, okay. But I have a feeling he looks good in shorts and gets overdrafted.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:08 pm 

This is the first mock of yours I've seen in 6 years without Shayne Skov in it :lol:

Can't comment haven't even watched half these guys yet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:16 pm 

I'd be pleased with Williams in the 7th, and that's about where we've been valuing that position, lately.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:30 am 

stillenigma wrote:
If Rory Anderson is available with a sixth round pick, sign me up. I think he's got stud written all over him.

Hard to value CBs without measurables since, of all the positions on the field, that one is so dependent on them.

OLB Owamagbe Odighizuwa, UCLA is the only other player I've watched enough to offer an educated opinion on. Before this year, he has been more or less looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. Is he a late bloomer? I don't know. I do think he would instantly be our best player versus the run, and offers upside rushing the passer. In the fifth round, okay. But I have a feeling he looks good in shorts and gets overdrafted.

I've judged Williams based on what I've seen on film: he sticks with his receivers, attacks the ball, and defends the run at an acceptable level.

Odighizuwa didn't play at all last year due to a hip injury suffered in fall camp. From the two games I've seen I think he has an insanely quick step for a 6'3" 270lb man. He hasn't got to the QB yet this season but he's been a huge disruption. Forced one of the interceptions against Virginia Strong and athletic, I think he's a big guy who can be like LaMarr Woodley. I'd be happy with him as early as the 3rd Round(of course, I think he takes off soon and really improves his stock). Take a look at what I saw versus Virginia: http://draftbreakdown.com/video/owamagbe-odighizuwa-vs-virginia-2014/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:34 am 

IMHO, they need a TE in the 1st 2 rounds. They can not survive on another late round TE failure. Although I think this is a horrible year to need a TE. 1st one might go in late round 2

Jeff Heuerman
Pharaoh Brown
Darrion Griswold

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:26 am 
Nice draft Smith...

I'll go-

1- Sammy Coates WR War Damn Eagle

2- Trae Waynes CB MSU

3- La Raven Clark OT TT assuming he comes out, I'm rolling with CBS values

4- Markus Golden OLB Mizzou

5- Daryl Williams OT Okie

6- C.J. Uzomah TE War Damn Eagle

7- Shaquille Riddick DE WVU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:33 am 

jebrick wrote:
IMHO, they need a TE in the 1st 2 rounds. They can not survive on another late round TE failure. Although I think this is a horrible year to need a TE. 1st one might go in late round 2

Jeff Heuerman
Pharaoh Brown
Darrion Griswold

No to Heuerman, if the idea is to get a Jimmy Graham/Antonio Gates-type TE, that's not his game. He's a decent blocker, but slow, and struggles to pressure the intermediate seam in college (I'm not even bothering to discuss the deep seam).

I want Jesse James, if available. Will have to look into the other two you mentioned as the season progresses.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:14 pm 

Ice wrote:
jebrick wrote:

Jeff Heuerman
Pharaoh Brown
Darrion Griswold

No to Heuerman, if the idea is to get a Jimmy Graham/Antonio Gates-type TE, that's not his game. He's a decent blocker, but slow, and struggles to pressure the intermediate seam in college (I'm not even bothering to discuss the deep seam).

I want Jesse James, if available. Will have to look into the other two you mentioned as the season progresses.

As i said, bad year to need a TE.