It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Auld Mock Syne
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:18 pm 

1.) Derrick Barnett 6’3 265 EDGE Tennessee- CBS has him ranked 22nd. I don’t think that’s realistic but he’s in the wheelhouse. Trade up and get him if need be. “Plug and play” disruptor the front 7 desperately needs.

2.) Carlos Watkins 6’3 305 DT Clemson- Numbnut Chris Fowler is putting me to sleep just like Watkins, Cleeland Ferrell, and crew have put my Buckeyes offense to sleep. Just 90 total yards of offense for team Urban at halftime and just three 1st downs half way through the 3rd qtr. Clemson DC Brent Venables will be a head coach VERY soon.

3.) Gareon Conley 6’0 195 CB Ohio St.- Marcus Lattimore and my guy Malik Hooker are the headliners but I dig this Conley kid. Quick int to start the game that the pathetic Buckeye offense couldn’t capitalize on. I’m probably in the minority in that I’m not a Ross Cockrell fan. His lack of tackling ability annoys the snot out of me.

4.) Kendrell Beckwith 6’2 252 ILB LSU- I don’t bet often, but when I do I like to root against super ass-wipe Bobby Petrino. The Tiger defense didn’t need Beckwith’s help in destroying Heisman Trophy bust Lamar Jackson but I appreciate the hundy nonetheless. The torn ACL will cause Beckwith to drop in the draft right into our laps. Timmons having a tremendous year and will almost certainly be back next year so there is no pressure for Beckwith to start right away.

4C) Davis Webb 6’3 227 QB Cal- “Drama, you barrel of monkey nuts the Steelers aren’t drafting a Cal qb!” Maybe not, but they will draft a qb after they let Laundry walk. This Webb kid’s got some tools and is a “fast riser.” Keep an eye on this kid Senior Bowl week. Lot of “buzz” about him.

5.) Hunter Dimick 6’3 272 EDGE Utah- My New Years’ Resolution is to include this War Daddy in every mock I do. Just a football crazed maniac that would be an awesome rotational pass rusher type whose presence will really energize the defense. I know you’re sick of reading this kid’s name but make it YOUR New Year’s Resolution to trust Drama on this one.

6.) Kareem Hunt 5’11 225 RB Toledo- Fits what the Steelers like at RB. He can run over you or run around you and can catch the ball out of the backfield. I’m kind of over DeAngelo Williams fragility so I’m hoping the Steelers can steal a day 3 RB in what is said to be a deep group of rbs this year.

7.) Quincy Adeboyjo 6’3 200 WR ‘Ole Miss- I like part of his last name. If catches a pass I can say “atta boy" or even "atta boy, Joe." That’s all you got Drama? Yeah kind of. I hope Martavis Bryant gives up illegal drugs for the New Year and hoping a veteran WR is brought in as well. I know y’all like Eli, but I see a pretty big drop after AB if Bryant doesn’t return.

7C) Jadar Johnson 6’0 210 S Clemson- Well with the help of a dominant front 4 this Jadar kid backed up his opinion (Ok fact) that he’s faced better qbs than J.T. Barrett. Looking like a Clemson/Bama rematch. Lane better lay off the Boca broads and do some work on that passing game this week.

Thanks as always for reading. Aside from all the football, I actually hate New Year’s. The stupid fireworks rattle the shit out of my dog but still, I hope y’all have a safe and happy New Year!

Post subject: Re: Auld Mock Syne
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:40 am 

Love the players...

I think Conley will end up somewhere in the 2nd round. He will test well.

All for Watkins in the 2nd. He absolutely destroyed Elflein and Co. last night. With a good game against Bama, he may not be there in the late 2nd.

I like Barnett, but there are a ton of EDGE players in this draft. Not sure they have to trade picks to get one. Walker, Timmy Williams, Taco Charlton, etc. etc. etc. There are going to be studs available until the end of the 2nd. It's a great year to need pass rushers.

Good assessment on Kareem Hunt. I feel that's about the range he will go. Not going to run well at the combine, but as you mentioned, he has a lot of the traits the Steelers look for at RB. Decent receiver and deceptively quick. Very good size and power. I've seen him live and in person 15+ times and would be very cool with this pick.

Great draft and analysis as always Drama. Really enjoy your mocks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:56 pm 

I agree Demarr. I also think it's a great draft year for safety. Love to see a free safety drafted in anticipation of Mitchell being replaced.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:54 pm 

Charles, completely agree. I like a lot of the pass rushers in this draft. A good one should fall to the steelers even if they make a deep playoff run but I think this is the year they make a bold polamalu type move and go up for an impact defender hell maybe even a kid they're comparing to Troy in Jamal Adams.

And I agree about Carlos Watkins. Kids a fast riser. I think Steelers address the DL earlier than people think. Cant go into the playoffs this beat up on the DL. Tuitt and Heyward especially proving to be less than durable.

I think given the depth at corner in this draft there's a chance Conley lasts past 2nd rd but i agree wishful thinking he falls to late 3rd.

So long as the bulk of the offense remains in tact this draft really sets up well to add some exciting chess pieces for the defense