It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 30-something mock
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:58 am 

As it stands now the Steelers will be picking 29 or later, preferably later. We've been mocking most of the season assuming we'd be in the mid 20's. Here's a crack at a later mock.

1. TJ Watt - OLB - Wisconsin
Why Watt? The top OLB talent will be off the board, but the second wave will be in play here. (Barnett/Thomas/Garrett long gone, Harris and Lawson just missed) I'm assuming this choice comes down to Watt, McKinley, Williams, and Anderson. McKinley and Williams will test off the charts, both have a habit of disappearing in games and Williams has a reported drug problem. Anderson is very solid, not great, and not a 1st rounder. Watt can play the run, he can rush the passer. Maybe not flashy, but it's a very solid pick. He'll be in the first round mix by draft time. OLB is a huge need, Steelers draft for need in rd 1.

2. Quincy Wilson - CB - Florida
CB depth is still an issue and this is a long man corner that the team needs.

3. Jordan Leggett - TE - Clemson
You saw him in the National Championshp game. He's got the size, speed, and ball skills the team brought Ladarius Green in for. I'm convinced Green retires after missing the rest of the playoffs with a concussion and while Jesse James is a solid TE, this offense needs a game breaker. I'm afraid of the "Lazy Leggett" moniker scouts have on this guy. If all checks out in the scouting process this is my pick. If not, Jake Butt and his torn ACL are a fine fallback option for me.

4 Ejuan Price OLB Pitt
Harrison MIGHT play one more year. This team needs more pass rush talent. I don't care how old, how short, or how many surgeries this kid has had, he can flat get the QB on the ground. Sign me up.

5 Jake Replogle DE Purdue
Another underrated player. Might be the best run defending 5 tech in the class and can collapse the pocket too. Teams are dumb if he falls as far as he's being projected.

5c Tedric Thompson S Colorado
Back to the safety well. STs coverage and returns kinda suck. Doubt Shamarko is brought back. 7 picks and 18 pass break ups last year. This guy can play. Comp pick for Beachum.

6 Elijah McGuire RB UL Layfayette
Fast, productive, good hands and can run routes. Steelers badly need talent behind Bell. Here is a real sleeper.

7 Josh Tupou NT Colorado
Developmental NT run stuffer for depth.

Post subject: Re: 30-something mock
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:26 pm 

Not a bad mock, but I don;t see Watt as a 1st rounder. Not now, not in April. He's raw and has some limitations to his game...not real explosive and a bit "clunky" for lack of a better word. He IS a football player. Mid to late 2nd round IMO, but wouldn't be shocked to see him fall into Rd3. He's not his brother.
That said...I would love to see him in Black and Gold!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:51 pm 

sign me up for this mock The first three picks made it for me..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:00 pm 

I like it but I'd go CB in the second, I don't think they give up on Green after 1 year, and James looks to be improved.

Gay is old, Gholson can't make it past non contact drills, and Cockrell doesn't float my boat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:59 pm 

You forget Gilbert is still developing learning the Butler defense. I have faith Lake will have him set for preseason and contribution next season. I think CB is further down the list than most. Edge, TE, Safety, DLine are my first 4 positions I draft in April. Edge is obvious. Depth and no one really to compliment Dupree. TE may slide down as far as priority as both James and Grimble are still a bit a raw and learning. Safety may move up or down as this is a deeper Safety class this year. Mitchell and his schicht have grown old. Time for a fresh player to add to the hive mentality. With Mitchell still on the roster gives Lake time to mould him into a solid contributor. I think I would switch Davis to the FS and draft a SS. DLine is obvious. Depth. McCullers has not developed as I/they hoped as is evidenced on the field and through snap count. Need another DT/DE run stuffer/rusher. Perhaps a decent draft could actually catch and match the current offense in talent and production. Solid draft Perch.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:31 pm 

And I think Green has played his last down in the NFL so TE becomes a day 2 pick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:26 pm 

I will give it a run.

1.Carl Lawson OLB PRS Auburn- I won't like the pick. No questioning his dominance at the college level...I don't believe his skill set transitions to the NFL.

2.Quincy Wilson CB Florida- Learn the name now. He is going to rocket up boards. He is similar to Ike Taylor with better ball skills. Physical, tough, can play man or zone great physical tools. When draft day rolls around he may end up drafted much higher than this

3.Alvin Kamara RB Tenn- His skill set fits the offense perfectly.

4.Deatrich Wise Jr. DL Arkansas- Let me start off saying most the experts won't agree. They're wrong I am right. Go find film. Watch film get back to me. He can rush the passer. So far my favorite player in the draft.

5. Josh Malone Wr Tenn- I think he goes in the top 3 rounds time will tell. He is big. He is fast. Ball skills are good. Flashes quickness and route running ability

5.Jerod Evans QB Va Tech- He has some tools to work with. He can make all the throws. He needs refinement

6.Scott Ordnoff Te Pitt- Local kid who can block and catch

7.Ricky Seals Jr Wr Tex Am-He is a freak you take a chance on

7.Hardy Nickerson Jr ILB Illinois- Small but a wrecking ball. Great genes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:24 am 

FC I have already seen some projecting Wilson as a top 10 pick. He's the top CB on at least a half a dozen boards. So you are right, he's going to be in the top 15.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:27 am 

I'd bet Nickerson would make the team on special teams as a 7th round pick in that scenario. Certainly couldn't hurt.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:32 am 

Can Watt be an ILB? Future replacement for Timmons?

1.OLB HARRIS MIZZU
2.ILB WATT WISC
3.CB AWUZIE COLO
4.DE VANDERDOES UCLA
5S JOHNSON B.C.
6RB MACK USF
7.S/KR EVAN BERRY TENN

1.WR
2.S
3RB
4.TE
5.OT