It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: This Draft Class
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:50 pm 

SP wrote:
Williams is without a doubt the most explosive pass rusher of the three, no question. It's the other stuff with him that is the issue. McKinley played like he was made of velcro against better competition. Hit the tackle and stuck to him. A couple other games he got good pressure. No questioning his motor though, he hustles. I'm not sure I draft Williams at all if his issues don't check out, so maybe McKinley is the guy at 30. I think I'd take him over Harris.

I'm totally with you Perch, although I don't take McKinley or Harris at 30. The velcro comment was 100% truth. I wish I knew more about what Tim Williams' off the field stuff is like, because he can not only rush the passer but he can hold the point in the run game.

I saw Bucky's Brooks mock had Derek Barnett falling to TB at #20... If Barnett falls anywhere close to that, I'm trading next year's first to move up. He's the only no brainer lock edge rusher-- even Myles has some issues. Barnett is a plug and play Pro Bowler.

The other possibility, I guess, is Lawson. There's even some talk about the kid from Temple sneaking into the first round.

As big a need as edge rusher is for this team, it'll totally not shock me if they don't take one in the 1st round.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:51 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:
That why the Steelers need to sign a Fa pass rusher too. But like the ability to add a quality Te

We should play the Denver game...draft a pass rusher, sign a free agent pass rusher, purloin a bunch of up-and-coming draft rushers off practice squads a we can, find UDFA pass rushers.

Find what we need by increasing the number of shots we take.

That, incidentally, is also how New England does it. They find gems like Malcolm Butler and Chris Hogan not because Bill Belichick is a genius talent evaluator, but because he makes sure he buys as many lottery tickets as possible.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:58 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

The other possibility, I guess, is Lawson. There's even some talk about the kid from Temple sneaking into the first round.

As big a need as edge rusher is for this team, it'll totally not shock me if they don't take one in the 1st round.

Kid from Temple is an ILB in my book. Not much different from Shazier or Timmons size wise coming out of college.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:01 pm 

SP wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Kid from Temple is an ILB in my book. Not much different from Shazier or Timmons size wise coming out of college.

I do think that's where he's ultimately headed... but the thing is: the league is changing. If NE is going to scheme you into dropping OLBs into coverage, maybe the counter to that is blitzers rather than edge rushers, you know what I mean? Maybe you have 4 interchangeable LB types on the field-- guys with outlier speed/size? Hard for me to say that's next, but I could imagine it happening.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:11 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
SP wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

I do think that's where he's ultimately headed... but the thing is: the league is changing. If NE is going to scheme you into dropping OLBs into coverage, maybe the counter to that is blitzers rather than edge rushers, you know what I mean? Maybe you have 4 interchangeable LB types on the field-- guys with outlier speed/size? Hard for me to say that's next, but I could imagine it happening.

It's already changed. It's the Steelers who haven't changed. Everybody talks about how great our defense played over the last 9 games, but I don't see any great QB's on those teams. I think if we would have pulled off a miracle against NE, we would had our hands full with GB or ATL. This defensive philosophy is 1990's old. We need a dominant front four who are both good vs. run and can rush the QB with coverage LB's and DB's.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:54 pm 

Carl Lawson will be available at the end of the 2nd round....He's going to fall.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:53 pm 

deep @ spots we need.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:23 pm 

Quote:
Appearing on the Setting the Edge Podcast, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport revealed some NFL evaluators consider Texas Tech's Patrick Mahomes as the top QB in the draft.

The hosts of the podcast suggested Mahomes might be a pick for the Cardinals in the second round, with Rapoport interjecting "if he makes it to round two." The first round quarterback discussion largely centered around Deshaun Watson, Mitch Trubisky and DeShone Kizer, but it might be time to throw Mahomes' name in the hat. Mahomes is a completely unique player, so some teams will fall in love and others will rank him outside of the top five prospects at the position.

Call it a hunch...If Mahomes is there when the Steelers pick he is a Steeler

He wont be though...Mahomes will go top 5. Mahomes will be the 1st Qb drafted

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:56 pm 

FC wrote:
Quote:
Appearing on the Setting the Edge Podcast, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport revealed some NFL evaluators consider Texas Tech's Patrick Mahomes as the top QB in the draft.

The hosts of the podcast suggested Mahomes might be a pick for the Cardinals in the second round, with Rapoport interjecting "if he makes it to round two." The first round quarterback discussion largely centered around Deshaun Watson, Mitch Trubisky and DeShone Kizer, but it might be time to throw Mahomes' name in the hat. Mahomes is a completely unique player, so some teams will fall in love and others will rank him outside of the top five prospects at the position.

Call it a hunch...If Mahomes is there when the Steelers pick he is a Steeler

He wont be though...Mahomes will go top 5. Mahomes will be the 1st Qb drafted

should be, won't necessarily be

He'd be such a great fit in PGH.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:15 pm 

I've been watching more Carl Lawson tape. Opinions of him are all across the board, top 10 pick to late day 2 guy. All I know is he has a quick get off and a couple of moves that allow him to get to the QB in short order. Injuries are a concern, but of the late 1st round group he might be our best option.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next