It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Jameis Winston suspended for a half vs Clemson
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:29 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
I'm not trying to stir up shit, but does anyone in this thread understand what a university is? And if you do, in what universe is what he did ok?

Ok, so this took 5 seconds to google:

http://srr.fsu.edu/About-Us/Mission-Statement

Mission Statement
The Florida State University Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities (SRR) mission is to facilitate student learning and development regarding community standards by balancing individual and community rights. SRR supports a safe and inclusive environment that enhances academic pursuits and student success. Institutional core values of the Seminole Creed and Responsible Freedom guide our conduct and inform policy and decisions.
Florida State University Civility Statement: Uphold the Garnet & Gold
Respect, Responsibility, Reflect
• Demonstrating respect for ourselves and others
• Taking responsibility for yourself and those around you
• Reflecting the values of Florida State
The Florida State University is a diverse community with a longstanding tradition of respect for the dignity and worth of each person. We recognize the importance of disagreement and informed debate for a dynamic learning environment, we also expect each member of our community to embrace the values of civility and ethical conduct and share in the responsibility to promote these values. Uphold the Garnet and Gold by demonstrating respect for ourselves and others, taking responsibility for yourself and those around you, and reflecting the values of Florida State

Gees, why oh why I wonder was he disciplined?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

1. It was satire
2. It was in a cafeteria, not the classroom.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:00 pm 

Good!! Either suspend him for a game or don't suspend him. This half-game bullshit it just that...bullshit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:44 pm 

Clemson front 4 is awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:56 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
I'm not trying to stir up shit, but does anyone in this thread understand what a university is? And if you do, in what universe is what he did ok?

Ok, so this took 5 seconds to google:

http://srr.fsu.edu/About-Us/Mission-Statement

Mission Statement
The Florida State University Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities (SRR) mission is to facilitate student learning and development regarding community standards by balancing individual and community rights. SRR supports a safe and inclusive environment that enhances academic pursuits and student success. Institutional core values of the Seminole Creed and Responsible Freedom guide our conduct and inform policy and decisions.
Florida State University Civility Statement: Uphold the Garnet & Gold
Respect, Responsibility, Reflect
• Demonstrating respect for ourselves and others
• Taking responsibility for yourself and those around you
• Reflecting the values of Florida State
The Florida State University is a diverse community with a longstanding tradition of respect for the dignity and worth of each person. We recognize the importance of disagreement and informed debate for a dynamic learning environment, we also expect each member of our community to embrace the values of civility and ethical conduct and share in the responsibility to promote these values. Uphold the Garnet and Gold by demonstrating respect for ourselves and others, taking responsibility for yourself and those around you, and reflecting the values of Florida State

Gees, why oh why I wonder was he disciplined?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

1. It was satire.
2. It was in a cafeteria, not the classroom.

It was on campus. Look at the mission statement. He's lucky this is all that happened. Defend him all you like.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:40 am 

Still Lit wrote:

A University is a tax-exempt business that exploits young adults out of hundreds of thousands of dollars for a piece of paper. Meanwhile they are profiting millions of dollars from their high profile student athletes while not paying them or allowing them to work. The University then profits from any item sold with the likeness of the athletes, again without having to pay them a dime. They then can punish these athletes if they accept a free bagel with cream cheese or eat too much free pasta per rules under the NCAA.

What Jameis Winston did was an artistic expression. The "her" in his poetry piece was simply the modern collegiate athlete, while the NCAA was the one fucking him, and "pussy" was referring to the pocketbook.. Now how can you punish the young man for this?

And for the record, that mission statement is nothing but mindless drivel. Do you know what the average college student does in a week? Yelling a popular catch phrase in a student union might rank near the tamest of things.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:48 am 

SP wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

A University is a tax-exempt business that exploits young adults out of hundreds of thousands of dollars for a piece of paper. Meanwhile they are profiting millions of dollars from their high profile student athletes while not paying them or allowing them to work. The University then profits from any item sold with the likeness of the athletes, again without having to pay them a dime. They then can punish these athletes if they accept a free bagel with cream cheese or eat too much free pasta per rules under the NCAA.

What Jameis Winston did was an artistic expression. The "her" in his poetry piece was simply the modern collegiate athlete, while the NCAA was the one fucking him, and "pussy" was referring to the pocketbook.. Now how can you punish the young man for this?

To be fair, they don't proft like that from the other 65,000 kids on campus.

Are you suggesting a different set of rules for everyone?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:51 am 

Iron_City wrote:
To be fair, they don't proft like that from the other 65,000 kids on campus.

Are you suggesting a different set of rules for everyone?

$70,000 tuition for the average student. The kid (what's he, 20 now?) said a bad word on campus. Probably 75% of my professors in college swore in class on occasion. Who gives a shit? And honestly, if Joe Blow did the same thing they probably would have asked him to stop and that would have been the end of it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:00 am 

SP wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

And for the record, that mission statement is nothing but mindless drivel. Do you know what the average college student does in a week? Yelling a popular catch phrase in a student union might rank near the tamest of things.

Perch, neither you nor B2B are saying or thinking stupid things. I'm sympathetic. The mission statement is vague. I concede all of it. But you see why he was disciplined. Any student would have been, including joe blow. Joe blow isn't famous and so media doesn't report on it. And for the record, trust me, I am very intimate with of the mind and habits of the avg college student. I offered an explanation of why the Uni disciplined. It would have been shocking had he not. Universities want to maintain a certain culture and he clearly violated that. Defend Jameis all you like. I won't. The amount of drinking and sexual assault on campuses is mind boggling. Those caught are dealt with appropriately if nobodies. Sometimes not due to bad publicity it would cause. Sometimes if it's a high profile athlete the Uni tries to sweep it under the rug. Disgusting. I've seen it happen. Just because terrible behavior is not punished because not caught doesn't mean what Jameis did was appropriate or ok on a university campus. Even if the Uni is hypocritical for failing to punish other stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:52 am 

apparently this sign made its way to college gameday

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:55 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
Iron_City wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
Agreed, I do shit like that all the time, I yell way worse shit while watching a Steelers game with the back door open so the neighbors hear it, I a usually drunk, havin consumed at least 8-10 beers at the time. I am sick of FUCKING DUMBASS "OUTRAGE" USA... every little fucking thing, the PUSSIES of America fly into an OUTRAGE MODE, glad I'm getting old and lived most of my life before it's come to the current PUSSIFIED world.

Here's the thing. Nobody gives a fuck if you live or die. You don't represent shit except a minority percentage of the overbearing part of the middle class. You could end up on a milk carton tomorrow and the only ones that would give a shit live within the confines of your 4 walls.

JW is a cash cow. He plays by a totally different set of rules than your irrelevant self

So what did he do that was so bad, he cursed! OMG! This is why I HATE the modern USA! A guy curses, doesn't commit a crime, doesn't do drugs, doesn't hit a precious woman, doesn't drive drunk, he say's a couple BAD WORDS-whoop-de-doo, so THAT ALONE is enough to ruin his future earnings potential? Give me a break, and FCK any country that thinks like this! God Bless Europe- a place where they'd laugh this off as a non-issue! A place where they LAUGH AT U.S. culture, deservedly so!

So renounce your citizenship and move to Europe.

I also find it interesting that every disciplinary action in sports is an indictment on global society.