It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mockthur Blank
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:39 pm 

I was out and about listening to some gawd-awful Atlanta sports talk radio this afternoon. I tuned most of it out, but did like hearing that Falcons’ owner Arthur Blank flew all 500+ employees of the Falcons’ organization (along with a guest of their choosing) to Houston this weekend for the Super Bowl. I still don’t know if Atlanta can beat the Patriots, but I thought that was pretty cool of ‘ol Arthur.

As for our beloved Steelers, my guess is that after Colbert pays Antonio Brown and hopefully Leveon Bell that’ll pretty much do it for the offseason spending. I’m not even going to let myself dream about Melvin Ingram, but for the purposes of this ham and egger mock let’s say we sign Packers’ edge rusher Nick Perry and the ‘Skins DeSean Jackson to start opposite AB…IF…Martavis Bryant is not back in 2017.

1.) Marlon Humphrey 6’1 200 CB Alabama- Bobby’s son is the prototype NFL corner. Just a red-shirt sophomore, this big, strong, athletic, fast, and physical beast loves to lay the wood in the run game, so much so I think he’d actually make a really good safety. Giving up an average of 16 yards per catch (4th worst in FCS), Marlon has taken a slight tumble down the CBS draft board to the point where I think he could Dave DeCastro himself right into the Steelers’ laps. I’m guessing most won’t like this pick but I happen to think Artie Burns and Humphrey would make a damn nice pair of starting corners.

2.) Obi Melifonwu 6’4 219 S Uconn- I guess I can jump on the bandwagon. Here’s a kid enjoying a “meteoric rise” up the draft board. He started the season as a 7th rounder on CBS’ not so trusty rankings. Now, after his strong showing at the Senior Bowl, they moved him all the way up to 55 in their little rankings. Even though round 2 feels a little steep to me, you just can’t teach 6’4 219 (of course that’s what they said about Scott Shields). Anyway, what sold me on the kid was that blast he put on Donnell Pumphrey during the Senior Bowl game. Cranky-ass Mayock said he hit him too high. Of course he hit him high Mike ya miserable bastard! Pumphrey’s a freakin’ midget and Obi is 6 fucking 4!

3.) Isaiah Jones 6’2 202 WR East Carolina- Like Melifonwu, Robert’s son made quite an impression at the Senior Bowl making one highlight catch after another. Sure this kid is the NCAA’s all-time reception leader and is blessed with tremendous hands and precision route running ability, but what I really like about “Zay” is that he really seems to love playing the game of football. Reputed to be a tireless worker, this kid also displayed an unbridled enthusiasm throughout Senior Bowl week always dancing and joking with coaches and players. Dig this kid.

4.) Daeshon Hall 6’5 265 DE Texas A&M- “Drama, ya barrel of monkey nuts, you just mocked this kid two days ago!" I know. I like him. He impressed me Senior Bowl week and despite his lackluster CBS ranking, I believe he’s day 2 worthy, but for now let’s call him a “grand larceny” selection here on day 3. And I really do think adding a true 4-3 DE would be a nice chess piece should TomBut be willing to become more scheme diverse.

4C) Carroll Phillips 6’3 237 EDGE Illinois- I haven’t mocked Phillips, or his teammate Dawuane Smoot for that matter, but both kids flashed some pass rush ability Senior Bowl week. I’m not sure what to make of the premise these two didn’t produce big sack numbers due to Lovie Smith’s system, but this speed rusher can turn the corner tallying 20 TFL’s good for 2nd in FBS this season.

5.) James Conner 6’2 240 RB Pitt- The NFL isn’t all drug addicts and woman beaters. Take Walter Payton Man of the Year cowinner, Eli Manning. Sure we like him for twice beating Brady, Belichick, and the New England Patriots, but he now has my respect and admiration for being a “philanthropy Superman.” Manning and his wife, Abby, both are tireless fund raisers for the Manning Cancer Centers in both Hackensack, NJ and Jackson, MS. Eli is a bit of a mope on the field, but anybody who so selflessly spends his free time visiting kids battling cancer is a tremendous human being in my book. Good stuff Eli.

6.) Ryan Switzer 5’8 179 WR North Carolina- Why do I get the feeling this kid is going to be a New England Patriot? I like him as our new return man, but in my never-ending quest to provide you, my fellow draft fans, all the information I can on these prospects I found that Switzer had 80 Explosive movements at the Senior Bowl heading into Thursday’s practice, according to numbers recorded for the Senior Bowl by Catapult Sports and Roster Watch. That was almost double the next-highest number, 44 for Grambling receiver Chad Williams. A creative offensive coordinator could really find a role for this kid…ohhhhh wait I forgot….NEVERMIND.

6C) Josh Harvey-Clemons 6’4 228 S Louisville by way of Georgia- Another 6’4 safety??? Sure, why not? This kid’s draft stock is trending in the opposite direction of the aforemention Obi Melinfonwu. Still, Harvey-Clemons was a former 5 star recruit of Mark Richt over in Athens. Kid is a big hitter and would make one helluva hybrid linebacker and special teams demon.

7.) Harvey Langi 6’2 252 ILB BYU- This hard hitting, tackling machine was a former 4 star recruit who played running back at arch-rival Utah. After a two year church mission, Langi transferred to BYU and made the successful switch to middle linebacker and was highly impressive Senior Bowl week.

Thanks as always for reading. Enjoy the game tomorrow. To quote DeAngelo Williams, “If you ask me who’s going to win the Super Bowl, I don’t care, I hope they both lose.” Classic.

Post subject: Re: Mockthur Blank
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:50 am 

I disagree on Brown. He gets paid 13.4 Million this year. That is already baked into any extension so his deal is likely not to cost the Steelers much if any more cap room this year.

I am not a fan of either DE on Illinois. Even in the 4th

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:28 pm 

Gotta get Tuitt signed this offseason as well. Not sure how they accomplish it but it has to happen. Not a fan of diva Jackson. Two diva minded WR's in the same locker room could be dangerous. Perry I liked the year he was drafted. I think he'd be a good fit. Decent draft Drama.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:56 pm 

I think you are putting the cart before the horse with the Tuitt signing, Steelafan77.

Yes, we have to sign both Shazier and Tuitt who were both drafted in 2014. They are two cornerstones of this defense, but...

Tuitt still has one year left on his contract and won't be a free agent until 2018.

Shazier won't be a free agent until 2019, as the Steelers can pick up a 5th year option on him as they often do with their 1st round picks.

So, as I put on my Colbert/Omar Khan hat, I pay Tuitt in 2018 and give the 5th year option to Shazier in 2018 and work on a longterm contract but, worse case scenario I can always franchise Shazier in 2019 if need be.

I just don't see the need to worry about spending money on either Shazier or Tuitt, they are easily on the back burner right now. The only concerns are Brown and Bell and with money left over to maybe make a free agent splash like a Green/Mitchell.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:18 pm 

You could be right scunge. I agree, I think they pay Brown. Provided they can agree on fair compensation. I also believe they'll franchise Bell. As far as signing a decent FA goes I won't be holding my breath. We fans want to see it every year only to be disappointed by the 'do what we do' motto they employ. We'll see how it all unfolds.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:32 pm 

Thanks as always Drama for mocking it up.

Gives me players to check out. Always enjoy the discussion and feedback from others.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:22 pm 

The thing that worries me with Obi Melifonwu is that you don't see him make plays on coverage. He's a really good downhill safety in the tackling game, really talented athlete.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:13 am 

Look at our safety situation: we don't need a downhill guy, except as safety #3 or 4. We need another versatile guy like Davis, who can play deep 1/2 or man cover or mix it up v short game/run. Then you could really have interchangeable safeties, which would help a ton. This team currently spends a lot of time in big nickel, and Mitchell and Golden cost this team because of coverage issues and last-line of defense breakdowns.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:53 am 

That's why I like Marcus Williams as a 1st-2nd RND pick. If not Williams then I like Fabian Moreau later IMO he can play both slot corner and/or free safety.