All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Five possible first round picks the Pittsburgh Steelers
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:57 pm 

http://www.endzonescore.com/steelers-draft-nfl/58406

Quote:
Five possible first round picks the Pittsburgh Steelers should consider
Mike Esposito
February 3, 2017

The Pittsburgh Steelers are one of the best teams in the NFL, but if they want to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl in 2017, there are several areas of need that the team must address this offseason. Assuming the Steelers are unable to bring in a top free agent, Pittsburgh’s best course of action would be to build through the draft.

With Pittsburgh’s championship window open as long as Ben Roethlisberger is their quarterback, the Steelers need to select an immediate contributor with their first overall pick this spring. Most of the blue chip talent will be off the board by the time the Steelers pick at 30, but there might be an immediate contributor waiting for them if everything plays out the right way.

O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama

The Steelers signed Ladarius Green last offseason, but his future with the team is in doubt due to his injury history and struggles with concussions in 2016. Green is unreliable to put it simply, and the Steelers would be better off investing in a pass catching tight end this spring.

At six-feet-six inches and 251 pounds, O.J. Howard has the size, speed and athleticism to be a real difference-maker and would be an excellent weapon in the passing game for Big Ben. While physically gifted, Howard is still considered raw and would have to learn on the fly if he wants to have an immediate impact on the Steelers offense.

Sidney Jones, CB, Washington

The Steelers defense had a strong front seven in 2016, but the secondary was constantly exposed throughout the season. With Artie Burns firmly entrenched on the left side of the secondary, the Steelers should consider spending their first round pick on another cornerback.

A lock down corner in his time at Washington, Sidney Jones has great instincts in coverage, a knack for creating turnovers, and does an excellent job mirroring receivers in their routes. The only “weakness” that Jones has is he doesn’t have a prototypical frame, raising questions about whether or not he can handle the physicality of the NFL.

Dede Westbrook, WR, Oklahoma

The Steelers lost Martavis Bryant for the 2016 season due to a year-long suspension, and the passing game struggled because of it. Outside of Antonio Brown, no Steelers wide receiver cemented themselves a reliable second option in the offense.

Dede Westbrook might be a bit of a reach at 30, but he would be an excellent complement for Brown and Bryant. With elite quickness and great speed, the Oklahoma product is more than capable of working the slot and would open up the middle of the field in the passing game.

Takkarist McKinley, DE/OLB, UCLA

Steelers pass rushers finished the season strong, but Pittsburgh could use an upgrade across from Bud Dupree. James Harrison can’t play forever and Jarvis Jones may be on his way out of Pittsburgh after years of disappointing play.

A quick-twitch athlete with probably the best speed-rushing skill set in the 2017 draft, Takkarist McKinley is an athletic freak that projects well as an edge rusher in Pittsburgh’s 3-4 defense. With an excellent motor to chase down plays from behind, McKinley can be an immediate contributor for the Steelers in 2017, especially if Dupree draws double teams.

Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan

The biggest area of weakness the Steelers need to address is at safety. Mike Mitchell played well last season at free safety, but Pittsburgh needs a quality strong safety to shore up their secondary. If he falls to them at 30, Jabrill Peppers would be the ultimate home run pick

The most versatile player in the draft, Peppers is a do-it-all player capable of playing either safety spot as well as linebacker on passing downs against three or more wide receiver sets. An explosive athlete and hard hitter with a nose for the ball, Peppers has drawn comparisons to Steelers great Troy Polamalu.

Post subject: Re: Five possible first round picks the Pittsburgh Steelers
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:57 pm 

It will not be any of those players-- I give anybody these 5 and Ill take the field and I will win.

The blurb about the Steeers needing a strong safety to pair with Micke Mitchell is all you need to know about this writer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:52 pm 

That site is incredibly stupid. Read the article about potential successors to Ben.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:57 pm 

A lot can change between now and the Draft but as of now...I'm going with Charles Harris as their #1 pick.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:08 pm 

fortythree wrote:
A lot can change between now and the Draft but as of now...I'm going with Charles Harris as their #1 pick.

Njoku, if he lasts to 30 is a stone cold lock. Same with Hooker, who I saw today some noise about him falling. Soloman Thomas-- if he eventually shakes out as a late 1st guy-- he's been listed all over the place. Those are the three classic Steelers picks at green positions of need. If none of those make it to 30 and there's no trade up, it's a bit of an open question.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:12 pm 

I would not touch Peppers until the 3rd. An athlete without a position. Just sucks as a safety

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:53 pm 

None of the above.

Howard IMO is over rated even for a deep TE class. I believe if they draft another TE it will be in the mid-late RNDs, 4-6.

Jones could be an option but they just drafted a 1st RND'er last year. I think they're in wait and see mode as am I with the Gilbert deal. Cockrell is trending up as far as play making goes. I think with the 'Idea' of Golson coming back CB is farther down the list unless an absolute 'Grand Larceny' type player falls to them. Otherwise a mid RND selection could be what unfolds.

McKinley and Peppers are mid 2nd RND'er types that will be drafted before the Steelers pick at the end of the 2nd RND. (huge reach at pick 30)

Westbrook I'm sure is a good deal but with the WR'ing corps currently I don't even look at WR till the 4th RND or later.

JMO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:31 am 

McKinley is the only one I see. Steelers do like to draft for need and they won't be afraid to put him on the field as he can set the edge against the run.

Otherwise, I agree with B2B about the usual suspects. I think Njoku will end up going at around 15, though it's always slightly possible he blows a hammy or tears a pec at the combine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:58 pm 

I'd be all over Jones or Howard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:02 pm 

Top 10 likeliest picks at #30 ranked, according to what I think they'll do, and who will be available:

OLB:
1. Takkarist Mckinely OLB UCLA
2. Carl Lawson OLB Auburn
3. Charles Harris OLB, Missouri
4. Sidney Jones CB Washington
5. Haason Reddick OLB Temple
6. Tre White CB LSU
7. Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama
8. David Njoku TE Miami
9. Cordrea Tankersley CB Clemson
10. OJ Howard TE Alabama

Debates?