It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A few notes about a few UW Huskies
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:34 am 

so i have lived in Washington state for awhile now, and wife is a UW alumnus and a big football fan (she actually knows WTF she's talking about, recognizes formations, etc) and we have season tickets to the Huskies so I saw them every home game and every televised game (no PAC-12 network though on DirectTV, grumble). Of course, that means I didn't have the benefit of overhead coverage, so I probably missed a bunch of problems :P

brief notes on a few of their 1st rounders, all of whom I'd love to have:

1. John Ross, WR - a faster Antonio Brown, style-wise, in many ways. He tracks the ball extremely well over his shoulder, and is very elusive and has a great instinct with the ball in his hands. He also has surprisingly sticky hands, body control and returns kicks (not punts, oddly enough). Remember how AB seemed a bit lost sometimes with the plays being called and such, early on? Ross displayed that quite a few times as there were some offensive changes and he was coming back from an injury (showed no signs of injury this year). He isn't particularly big or strong, but he is an extremely effective route runner and incredibly good with the ball in his hands. not sure how he'll respond to physical man coverage as he rarely saw it due to his speed. He is a damn rocket. I mean, he is not quite Mike Wallace fast but still a rocket with AB elusiveness. The biggest question I have is, will he have the work ethic that AB displays, because that's what separates a guy and takes physical talent to gridiron greatness (ha! I'm such a cliche)

2. Budda Baker, FS/SS - This is the safety we are looking for. He's not Troy because he's not reckless nor is he as fast (he *is* fast, just not Troy-shot-out-of-a-cannon fast), but he is extremely instinctive and very smart. He takes good angles in coverage and is a very physical and SMART tackler. He wraps, he doesn't get fooled, he takes the runner down in open field, both RBs and WRs. You rarely see a play and think "dammit, Baker was in the wrong place" or anything like that. He is strong and quick, and he is definitely a playmaker. He was also a leader on the defense as a true junior so he's still young but mature. Very heady player who always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. Has the versatility to play the "classic" FS or SS position, and would definitely fit in with us. He is strong, smart, and hardnosed. He's a smaller, faster, smarter Landon Collins in many ways. Good blitzer, doesn't overcommit and get fooled by the QB on the blitz. Love love LOVE this dude. He'd step onto the field in the first year and be a notable improvement vs. Mike Mitchell.

3. Sidney Jones, CB - tall, surprisingly strong, and physical. Good tackler in space, rarely gets fooled, and very fast. He was generally avoided by opposing QBs. I'd be happy as hell with him in the 1st round, but I think the better value might be...

Kevin King, CB - Richard Sherman without the mouthy attitude. TALL as heck and lanky, but you wouldn't know it because he'll stick his nose in the pile and will take on RBs and take them down. On several occasions, you'd see him fighting off blocks, shedding, and making the tackle on screen plays. Really impressive football player. Great in coverage and really good body control and instincts for turning around and tracking the ball (Rather than just tackling the catch). If we went Baker/King in the 1st and 2nd, I'd be in hog heaven. I'm assuming that King will end up as a 1st rounder by the time the draft rolls around though, so I doubt it'll happen.

Yeah, I'd rather have a pass rusher in the first round but we could set up our defensive backfield for years with this draft rather well

some notes on other draft-worthy(ish) guys:

Elijah Qualls DT - he is one of the 3 "big monsters" on the Huskies front line. Him, Vita Vea, and Greg Gaines. Qualls is a classic NT type or 1-tech, and out of the 3 beasts, I think he is the least impactful, but still darn good as a mid-round guy. Gaines is arguably the best of the 3 but has conditioning issues and if you keep him on the field, he can get tired. Gaines is a technician, and strong as an ox with Casey Hampton-level leverage and strength, and he's still young, not sure if he has the ceiling of Vea but if he can improve his conditioning, he could end up going as a 2nd rounder. Qualls is damned good but is primarily a run stopper as he isn't really fast enough or agile enough to be that impactful as a pass rusher, more of a 2-down kinda guy.

Vita Vea, DT - is FUCKING MASSIVE and surprisingly quick, he's a Ngata type and will almost definitely be a 1st rounder if he comes out after next season although he's a redshirt sophomore so not sure if he'll be in this year's draft or not, haven't heard if he's declaring. For the Huskies sake, I hope not, as he is an extremely effective pass rusher despite his size.

Psalm Wooching, OLB - Super high effort, high intensity guy. Good size and a great frame. He is probably going to be a later round guy but really showed a big improvement as he was a "late bloomer" on defense, and that could play to our advantage. He's a pass rusher and run stopper, hasn't developed much in the way of instincts in coverage though as he rarely dropped into coverage.

Jake Eldrenkamp, LG - Huskies ran behind Eldrenkamp all season long. Rarely was penalized, rarely missed a block. Needs to add a bit of strength but has a really good frame for it. Surprised he isn't getting more mention as an NFL starter. Side note - the Huskies' LT is going to go early in the draft when he does declare, he was just a sophomore but is extremely good and has the classic LT frame

Joe Mathis, OLB -good strength, aggressive, classic 3-4 OLB frame, not sure if he'll end up getting drafted as he had an injury that ended his season. He was one of the more effective pass rushers the Huskies had up to that point

Post subject: Re: A few notes about a few UW Huskies
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:46 pm 

My thoughts which are far different( I've been wrong plenty in the past and I could be again)

John Ross, WR- Oft injured. Horrible route runner. Cant beat jam coverage. Will short arm balls and give up on routes. Good returner. Similar to Desean Jackson without the guts to get smoked. Will be over drafted. I would consider Ross after round 2. Great character off the field...Horrible character on the field. Avoids big defenders when asked to block. I actually loved the player the more I watched the less interested I became. The Alabama game was a barometer for his NFL career. 5 catches 30 yards and a fumble

Budda Baker- He is 4.6 guy which is fine for an inside linebacker. He is a poor tackler who was over matched against speed at the college level. If Baker played in the SEC he would be consider a UDFA. Since he played in the garbage PAC 10 he is considered a prospect. I would not draft Baker before round 6. He does nothing well. Poor tackler. Poor feet. Poor instincts. Horrible angles.

Sidney Jones- Quality corner. 1st round pick

Kevin King- Slow to react. Horrible hips. Grabby. Poor ball reco skills. Zero interest. I would not draft him in round 7. His skill set doesn't fit the NFL. Will be a solid CFL player. He will be drafted in the top 50 and he will be out of the NFL before the 2019 NFL draft.

Elijah Qualls- 2nd best pro prospect on this defense. I think he is a future NFL stud. Doesn't fit the Steelers needs. Massive athletic and football SMART. Great motor non stop effort. I would draft him in round 2 if the Steelers didn't piss away money on the Heyward extension.

I loved Washington coming into the season. The USC and Alabama games really exposed some players to me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:11 pm 

I'm also a big fan of Sidney Jones. One of the best cover corners in this draft. I'd be more than happy to see the Steelers snag him in round 1.

John Ross reminds me a bit of TY Hilton coming out. He's wiry and can make big plays, but lacks a certain amount of physicality. He can work in the right system but will have limitations as an every down WR.

Qualls and Vea are quality big people. Neither are what I would consider dynamic penetrators or pass rushers, which makes them space eaters in a league that has devalued that skill. 2nd/3rd rounders probably.

Baker is versatile guy on the back end. He can cover the slot WR, can play the deep safety role. His lack of size as a pure safety is a concern. I'll be interested to see how he tests at the combine. Needs to be a + athlete to cover for size limitations.

King is big and physical, but doesn't move well enough for my liking. Pretty stiff and will struggle with shifty route runners. Mid/late rounder.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:05 pm 

Baker is the most intriguing for this team. I think I'd rather have a versatile guy than a big guy, especially considering our safeties' troubles in space.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:17 pm 

Talking safeties, I'd rather go Evans or Williams over Baker.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:15 pm 

cop1211 wrote:
Talking safeties, I'd rather go Evans or Williams over Baker.

I think both Williams and Evans carry more risk and more upside. Considering the problems we've had in recent years with bad angles and last line of defense... I like tacklers who can cover in space and have ball skills, especially if I'm paying a premium price.

Safety is pretty deep this year and I'm not sure how much difference there is after Adams between the 1st round guys and the 6th round. Depends on your taste.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:35 pm 

Nice write-up Sgt. Thanks for taking the time. Would like to see you post more often.