It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Football Mockdrawals
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:16 pm 

Free Agent signings? Hell no we won’t get anything close to Melvin Ingram. How about Luke Willson TE 4.5 40 Seahawks? Cut Mike Mitchell sign Barry Church in the box S Cowboys?

2T) Derrick Rivers 6’4 250 EDGE Youngstown St.- “Fast riser” who was working his way up the draft board even before his dominant week at the Senior Bowl. I don’t know how this kid will test at the combine, but there’s no stop watch for blood and guts.

2.) Malik McDowell 6’5 276 DE Michigan St- No. I’m not drunk (that was last night), but I am suffering from major football withdrawal this weekend so I’ve been perusing mocks all over the world wide web. One mock I stumbled upon penned by somebody named Chad Reuter, had McDowell going 63rd to my transplant hometown Falcons. So it got me to thinking. What if a physical specimen such as this tumbled down the draft board? Yep, I’d do it. I’d take the round 2 gamble on the “boom” of this possible “bust” in my never ending quest to have a deep and versatile front 7. Come in waves. Cause chaos and mayhem.

3T.) Tarrell Basham 6’4 259 EDGE Ohio- Youngstown St? Ohio U?? Hey, I go where the War Daddy’s take me. “Bash ‘em” was one of my favorites Senior Bowl week. “Grand Larceny” pick here in round 3.

3.) Malachi Dupree 6’2 190 WR LSU- Is it just me or does year crop of wide receivers kind of suck? You’re of course free to disagree, but I’m just not feeling this group. PLEASE come back Martavis! Anyway, this former triple, long, and high jump champion should test well at the combine so I’d feel pretty good about his selection late day 2.

4.) Howard Wilson 6’0 185 CB Houston- “Goes low and goes hard" (that’s what she said). Not only does this kid like to tackle, but he averaged an interception (nine) every 15 targets. Yes please.

4C.) Eddie Jackson 6’0 194 S Alabama- “Just stop already, Drama.” I can’t help it. The secondary needs a leader of men. Kid’s an absolute steal here on day 3.

5.) Alex Anzalone 6’3 240 LB Florida- Speaking of players coming off injury. Good lord this PA native was banged up during his time at the Swamp. Major injury risk with this kid, but seeing his golden locks flying all over the field Senior Bowl week was reminiscent of the great Kevin Greene.

6.) Joe Williams 5’11 202 RB Utah- Well the combine hype machine is underway. If this one-time retiree burns a 4.2 at Lucas Oil Stadium then he will enjoy a “meteoric rise” up the draft board.

7.) Ricky Seals-Jones 6’5 240 WR Texas A&M-Eric Dickerson’s cousin never lived up to his 5 star billing, but like his cousin, he was apparently offered six figures by numerous schools vying for his services. Anyway, if the light bulb comes on for this kid, he’d be a helluva red-zone weapon especially if Martivs Bryant finds his way back on the field.

7C) Avery Moss 6’3 262 EDGE Youngstown St.- Keep it in your pants, kid. Formed a dynamic duo with the aforementioned Derrick Rivers. Got kicked out of Nebraska for exposing his dick to a co-ed, but hey at least he didn’t hit her with it.

Thanks as always for reading. Can’t wait for the combine and the SteelerFury mock draft that follows it. Until then, stay sane out there.

Post subject: Re: Football Mockdrawals
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:02 am 

Quote:
5.) Alex Anzalone 6’3 240 LB Florida- Speaking of players coming off injury. Good lord this PA native was banged up during his time at the Swamp. Major injury risk with this kid, but seeing his golden locks flying all over the field Senior Bowl week was reminiscent of the great Kevin Greene.

I can't imagine Anzalone fits in PIT as anything other than STs... but now hearing that he's from PIT, makes it a lock, right?

I like the players in this version.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:56 am 

Malik McDowell is a serious character concern. 1st round talent sometimes. 5th round talent sometimes. Depends on how he feels. He is all raw athletics with little to no technique. He is also lazy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:00 pm 

jebrick wrote:
Malik McDowell is a serious character concern. 1st round talent sometimes. 5th round talent sometimes. Depends on how he feels. He is all raw athletics with little to no technique. He is also lazy.

I disagree with most of this. His technique is pretty damn good. Uses his hands, sets up leverage, gets low-- he's a young manchild in football terms. The word is that his perceived laziness was largely due to being stuck playing seriously out of position at NT and 1 tech, in a year where he was told in off-season he was going to play the edge, and he prepared accordingly. It reminds me a little of Bud Dupree's and Ramon Foster's situations coming out-- all three were bounced around positionally in sometimes head-scratching ways. McDowell is better than Dupree was in college, for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:09 pm 

I really don't believe Barry Church is an upgrade over Mitchell.

I spent 20 mins watching Rivers from Youngstown St on Friday, and I almost fell asleep. I did not see the Senior Bowl beast at all on film. I kept seeing a guy who takes bad angles, tries to go wide on the majority of his pass rush moves, and gets absolutely engulfed in the running game. Not a fan to say the least.

Basham and Wilson by far my favorite picks of this draft.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:07 pm 

I think there are a few prospects out there the Steelers are interested in. Whether they fit both scheme and money is an unknown. If I was a gambling man I'd gamble on, Okafor [Cardinals] or Perry [Packers] neither will take a truck load $$$$ like Jones, Ingram and Sheard and can fill the gap time being. Right now I want to upgrade safety. Specifically Mitchell. He's a huge disappointment IMO. I will draft his replacement, develop him while Mitchell plays out his contract. TE? TE, is solid IMO. With or without Green... outlaw and X can fill in with no problem. Perhaps they land a guy day 3 like Shaheen, Sprinkle, Saubert, Roberts or Hikutini in April. For now I try to hold on to Timmons as well. Perhaps draft his replacement or someone miraculously develops and takes over during season. I definitely draft DLine in this draft too. I draft McDowell if he's there... Couldn't help myself... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:18 am 

I would love to see the Steelers draft a true FS, but they like guys that run really fast in a straight line and hit hard, not necessarily ball skills. I think they feel they can get by with lesser players at the position, which is a necessity in the cap era. It's all about how you allocate resources, such as not paying two WRs big contracts. I am also a believer in Bell not being a $10 million plus player. He will probably get it because we have the money, but I believe we could find someone who does 80 percent of what he does for 10 percent of the cost.

Honestly, I would double or even triple dip at OLB, get some DE, CB and RB depth, and anything else from this draft is gravy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:19 pm 

I've seen Baker mocked to Pittsburgh recently. I think Moreau can fit as FS too.
One prospect I think could transition to a solid FS having played both corner and Free safety in college is Jeremy Clark, Michigan. Suffered a torn acl which derailed his senior campaign. Right now he could be a steal on day 3. Likely is unable to run through skill tests at the combine due to the injury. Solid bump and run technician. Not great in a zone technique from the film I've seen. Needs polished on run defense. Develop, Develop, Develop... You can't teach size and speed. This kid's got both. Some refinement of technique and classroom savvy this kid could turn out similar to Kam Chancellor.
A small sample from our friends at draft breakdown.
https://draftbreakdown.com/video/jeremy ... tern-2015/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:57 pm 

Quote:
I would love to see the Steelers draft a true FS, but they like guys that run really fast in a straight line and hit hard, not necessarily ball skills. I think they feel they can get by with lesser players at the position

And then they cry poor about not having anyone who can cover.

Tombert has been together for 10 years now. Nobody's fault but theirs that we can't field a competent secondary.

I agree we need a ballhawking FS. Seems to me having one greatly changes what you are able to do on defense.