It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The SteelerFury Scouts' Take on Prospects Now Through Rd 3
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:32 pm 

I've been trying desperately to not talk about prospects before our board draft-- trying to play close to the vest. I'm sure I'm not the only one. So. Herein, I give a quick blurb on my take of the prospects drafted so far in the board draft, and I will add yours as we go.

1.1 CLE - SP - Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M
• Elite athlete who might take a year to become fully operational. Still raw.
• Not much to say aside from the obvious. Freak athlete with tape to match. Should be amongst top edge rushers in NFL in short time.

1.2 SF - Gonzo - Derek Barnett, DE/OLB, San Francisco
• May not look as dynamic, but gets the job done and more athletic than you think. Great hand usage. Young.

1.3 CHI - Sheppard - Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State
• Young and can get better. Has shown flashes of being a superstar, also has some down plays. Ascending player.

1.4 JAX - cop1211 - Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama
• The medicals are rough. He may drop further. Great player on the inside, though.

1.5 TEN - FC - Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
• Not perfect, but very talented and elite athletically.

1.6 NYJ - Thrillseeker - Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
• Was he just coasting through the combine, or is this the most you get from him, preparation wise? On the field, tremendous size-sped combo who outran the defenders angles-- he's faster that they thought he was. 240 is a lot of man once it gets moving at that speed.

1.7 LAC - DP39 - Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford
• Probably my pick to be the best defensive player in this draft, if he goes to a team that will play him as an edge in a 3-4. He can move, he has speed to power-- and he's a baby, in terms of his training and physical development.

1.8 CAR - Mystery GM - Jamal Adams, S, LSU
• On tape alone, easily the best safety prospect in some time. So smooth and decisive on the field, physicality to go with it.

1.9 CIN - Steel Drama - Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama
• Have no idea about the off the field, but on the field he's a badass.

1.10 BUF - Pabst - Mike Williams, WR, Clemson
• Capable of making impossible plays-- the kind you'd replay 10 times if you did it on Madden. He needs some work to overcome his inconsistencies in the finer points of the game, but I'd feel good about throwing it to him on 4th down, with the Super Bowl on the line.

1.11 NO - ol skool - Hasson Reddick, LB, Temple
• I think he can play. Don't know if he has Shazier's burst-- but he's otherwise basically a RS clone. Maybe smoother and better in coverage, which figures, with the CB background.

1.12 CLE - SP - Sidney Jones CB Washington
• He's a great college player on tape. He scared me a little at combine-- more awkward than I expected in drills.
• Has the best tape of any corner in the class. Lacks a little size, but is super competitive. Marcus Peters without the baggage is how he's been described.

1.13 AZ - OhioSteeler - Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan
• It's a shame he won't work out before the draft... would be interesting to compare him athletically with other WRs. He has size, he runs routes, he has good hands, although he suffers the occasional concentration drop.

1.14 PHI - Ice - Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State
• On tape, great except for fumbling issues. Off the field? Combine testing? No idea how to explain it. In general, I think this RB class is deep but not elite in terms of talent at the top.

1.15 IND - jebrick - O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
• I wanted not to like him but I just can't. If he goes to a team where he fits, could be something really sepcial.

1.16 BAL - Obviously - Teez Tabor, CB, Florida
• On film, my top-rated CB in the draft. Man, he not only covers everyone, he covers them like a glove-- no separation. My knocks: A. he was covering the #2s, while Quincy got the #1s. B. long speed C. weird personality off the field

1.17 WAS - BarryFoster - Zach Cunningham. LB. VANDY
• I barely watched him because, before yesterday, I didn't imagine the Steelers might let Timmons go.

1.18 TEN - FC - John Ross, WR, Washington
• Actually, a pretty good route runner for a guy mostly winning on speed. Health and durability are the only questions. Suffered from some erratic QB play, too. Great fit for a team with a real NFL QB.

1.19 TB - pitty smitty - Jabril Peppers, S, Michigan
• I just don't get it. Troy comparisons are fine, but Troy was Troy because of elite burst AND instincts for the game. Peppers isn't a good enough player above the neck and he's not the elite athlete, either.

1.20 DEN - ironzabo - Christian McCaffery, RB, Stanford
• I'm coming around a little. He has great movement skills-- he goes down a little too easily for an NFL back and he can fake guys out-- but he doesn't have the very subtle quick cuts of the elite ball carriers/YAC guys. His versatility is the strongest suit-- can line up as slot receiver and then motion into tailback.

1.21 DET - Charles Demarr - Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama
• Like the player. Underaged. His dad was a bit of a headcase, so I've struggled not to hold that against him. At little stiffer than the CBs above him, but he is physical and plays like an NFL player.

1.22 MIA - SteelerChef - Malik McDowell, DE, Michigan State
• WTF. On tape, he looks like an absolute freak athlete and destined for NFL greatness. Oh, and then he'll disappear for a while. To my eye, he looked like he thought he was an elite edge player and the coaches wanted him to bang the interior. I did hear that they told him before the season that he was going to start at edge, and then they 86ed that the first day of practice, so maybe that has something to do with his dissatisfaction. Meanwhile, he tested like an average athlete. When I watched him, I thought, "here is the next great ferocious edge rusher in the NFL". Then, at the combine, he doesn't look like that guy at all, gives F'ed up interviews... don't know what to make of him at this point.

1.23 NYG - JL58 - Ryan Ramcyzk, OT, Wisconsin
• Amazing feet for an OL. Perfect fit for a ZBS team. One year of FBS football, some techinal issues as a pass blocker, and an injury are some red flags... but... wow.

1.24 OAK - FromPittWL - Budda Baker, S/CB, Washington
• I really like him. He's a little short but I wouldn't set fire to my living room if he were the pick at 30. He'd be a pretty great running mate for Davis and as a bigger slot guy in big nickel.

1.25 HOU - FortyThree - Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson
• Love his "compete level", as they say. His unbelievable stats in the 4th quarter over the course of his career speak for themselves. I don't know if he has the tools to be a great QB, but clearly worth a high pick to find out.

1.26 SEA - fractalsteel - Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama
• Dominant player at times, even in pass pro vs good edge players... although the talk amongst the 'experts' is that he won't be a LT. Great size and length for the position.

1.27 KC - smithessmokin - Dan Feeney, OG, Indiana
• Solid interior player. Didn't follow the group too closely this year because I'm picking for the Steelers.

1.28 DAL - TB - Carl Lawson, LB, Auburn
• On the verge of getting the B2B seal of approval-- but WTH happened in his 3-cone? Was it a fluke that it was so bad? I went back and looked at tape and damned if he doesn't seem a little stiff bending the edge/changing directions. That can be the kiss of death for an edge rusher, although I might have been willing in Rd2 to overlook his testing flaws.

1.29 GB - Omegosh - Joe Mixon RB Oklahoma
• Super talented-- probably the best RB in this class on the field. I just don't get why he was even involved in this altercation at all. He followed two people into the sub shop who seemed to be having an argument with each other, one of them was an emotionally charged woman-- what kind of poor judgement do you have to have to even get involve in such a thing. I'd be worried to death about what choice he might make the rest of his career.

1.30 PIT - B2B - Jordan Willis, OLB, Kansas State
• You can see my thoughts in the draft thread-- I love this player and think he's going to be a great 3-4 OLB in the league. Not even close to maximizing his talents, and he was pretty good overall anyway. My leading contender for the actual Steelers pick at 1.30, come draft day.

1.31 ATL - ScottCarasik - Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan
• I like him a lot as a 4-3 end. He seems to be getting better each year.

1.32 NE - treat88 - Mitch Trubisky, QB, UNC
• One year wonders scare me at QB position. He looks pretty good, though, and had a little late-game magic, which usually isn't a coincidence.

ROUND 2

2.33 CLE - SP -David Njoku TE Miami
• Future All-Pro. Big butt to get separation in short routes, YAC skills galore once he catches it. Can run by, through, around you or fly over you. I watched a game this year where I believe he did all of the above. Barely scratched the surface of his potential.
• Has all the tools to be a Top 5 NFL TE. Not just a receiver, good effort as a pass blocker, aggressive and willing. Could use work as run blocker which isn't a reason to knock him IMO. Would be like getting pissed that your Ferrari can't tow your boat.

2.34 SF - Gonzo - Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech
• My favorite player in the draft class. You can go on and on about his flaws and too eager to make a big play or poor mechanics or poor decisions or whatever-- this dude has 'IT' with capital letters.

2.35 JAX - cop1211 - Obi Melifonu, S, UConn
• On paper and in shorts, he looks like Kam Chancellor. On the field, he's disappointing, considering all that athletic talent. Maybe you can mold that guy into something special but he's not an elite football player yet.

2.36 CHI - Sheppard - Charles Harris, LB, Missouri
• Ultimately will find his ideal fit as a 4-3 blitzing WOLB or perhaps LEO. He moves extremely fluidly in coverage, just has some issues beating good OTs.

2.37 LAR - Enigma - Garett Bolles, OT, Utah
• I love the quote from an opponent, who called him a prick-- meant as a compliment. Gets in your head. Also a one year wonder kind of guy, which is a flag, but talented and looks the part.

2.38 LAC - DP39 - Forrest Lamp, OG, Western Kentucky
• Going to be a team leader and solid starter from day 1.

2.39 NYJ - Thrillseeker - Takkarist McKinley, OLB, UCLA
• Injury questions galore, football intelligence issues. Could be that he was hampered by shoulder injury and might have played better without it-- or could be he's a hot mess.

2.40 CAR - Mystery GM - Alvin Kamara, RB, Tennessee
• Sexy pick right now-- good athlete. Is he really good or does he just look better than some of these other RBs?

2.41 CIN - Steel Drama - Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State
• Seems like another player on the rise. Also played a lot vs the other team's #2s. He has good tape, though.

2.42 NO - ol skool - Tyus Bowser, LB, Houston
• Extremely versatile and great athlete. This year's Jamie Collins, although a little more fluid and less powerful. Would be a great fit at ROLB for the Steelers, provided his pass rush acumen can match his athleticism.

2.43 PHI - Ice - Caleb Brantley, DT, Florida

2.44 BUF - Pabst - DeShone Kizer, QB, Notre Dame
• If he had come out last year, I would have had him at the top of the class. Don't know what went wrong this year but he's had transcendental moments, like in his first college game vs Clemson.

2.45 AZ - OhioSteeler - TreDarious White, CB, LSU
• Really like him. Could be a great, versatile CB-- great in slot, confident on the outside, can blitz and run support.

2.46 IND - jebrick - Derek Rivers, DE, Youngtown State
• Not sure he's worth the hype, but at some point late in 3rd he'd be an intriguing choice.

2.47 DAL - TB (from BAL) -Evan Engram, TE, Mississippi
• Stud, for a team that basically views TE as a big WR.

2.48 MIN - mick - Antonio Garcia, OT, Troy
• Probably my favorite lineman in the draft. I saw the first day of Senior Bowl practice, where Raeshon Hall tooled him with an inside move on the very first rep; coaches said, 'do it again'. This time, Hall tried the same move with a counter. Garcia slapped away the inside move and then swallowed the counter-- learned his lesson on one rep.

2.49 WAS - BarryFoster - Raekwon McMillan, ILB, Ohio State
• Realizing how little I know about the ILB prospects that didn't stand out to me.

2.50 TB - pitty smitty - Kevin King, CB, Washington
• Seems like a very similar player to Artie Burns. Great vs big targets in red zone, makes plays on the ball, nice length, good speed.

2.51 DEN - ironzabo - Desmond King, DB, Iowa
• For a guy who was suppsed to be a mid round pick because he's not athletic enough-- sure looked pretty athletic at the combine. I heard people think he's a safety eventually; I think he's where the future of the NFL is headed-- slot guys who are part S/part CB/LB mentality.

2.52 CLE - SP - Marcus Williams, FS, Utah
• Very good range as back defender. Good with intermediate coverage, too. From DB U. A lot to like.
• Just great range and coverage skills. Not a big hitter. Again, with NFL passing game being what it is... you want a FS like this.

2.53 DET - Charles Demarr - TJ Watt, OLB, Wisconsin
• The freaky athleticism is there, I just don't see the results on the field matching that. Possible that he gets molded into a very good edge player.

2.54 MIA - SteelerChef - Jerrad Davis, LB, Florida
• Terrific football player and a high-motor guy.

2.55 NYG - JL58 - Tim Williams, LB, Alabama
• He's two years older than many of the Edge guys in this draft. At times, he was really good-- but he's also playing in favorable rush situations, on a team loaded with talent giving him opportunities. I was put off by his testing, too. He's 23+.. he should be killing the testing.

2.56 OAK - FromPittWL - Cam Sutton, CB, Tennessee
• Willie Gay 2.0-- which is a good thing if you want a zone CB who can give you solid snaps in the slot and outside.

2.57 HOU - FortyThree - Gerald Everett, TE , Southern Alabama
• Glorified WR but he has tools.

2.58 SEA - fractalsteel - Cordrea Tankersley, CB, Clemson
• Interesting guy. He's big, so you'd think he'd be better on the outside-- but he played a lot of slot and, watching him at the combine, I can see a few potential reasons. He doesn't flip his hips well, something that is hugely important on the outside. I can see him being a useful slot Corner vs teams with bigger slot guys. I wonder how he will fare with quick little smurfs. I have to go back and see him vs North Carolina to see if he matched up with Switzer at all.

2.59 KC - smithessmokin - Jourdan Lewis, CB, Michigan
• Another guy suited to play the slot. Would be a nice pick for the Steelers, provided he falls to 62 and provided the Steelers still need a slot guy by the time the draft kicks off.

2.60 BAL - Obviously (from DAL) - Dede Westbrook, WR, Oklahoma
• Never liked the player; unsurprised to hear he's been destroying his reputation with NFL people during the draft process. Why on earth didn't you run and work out during the combine? Headcase.

2.61 GB - Omegosh - Fabian Moreau, CB, UCLA.
• Not the most NFL ready, but he has the potential to be an elite cover guy. Looked really good during all-star week.

2.62 PIT - B2B - Howard Wilson, CB, Houston
• I like his length and ability to go and get the football. Also young. Also played on a sophisticated defense, where he was asked to do some different coverages and such.

2.63 ATL - ScottCarasik - Dion Dawkins, OG, Temple

2.64 NE - treat88 - Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida
• Really like the player and almost drafted him. I think he may struggle with deep speed but would make a nice complement to Burns, as an outside guy. You could do worse than Burns-Golson-Q Wilson, if Jobu is so kind.

ROUND 3
3.65 CLE - SP - Demarcus Walker, DT, Florida State
• Best interior rusher I saw on tape this year. College IOL no match for his rips, dips, bullrush. He just ate them alive. Couldn't get a crumb from OTs though. was hoping he'd work out at combine, just so I could try to see an analytic that might explain this oddity.
• Why is Jon Allen a Top 5 pick and Walker isn't in the top 64? I drafted Walker to be a wave interior pass rusher and 3 tech. Keep him fresh and let him create havoc on passing downs. With Garrett and Ogbah on the edge, Walker will stress the fuck out of any interior O-line. Can rotate in at DE as well. A chess piece who had amazing production at FSU.

3.66 SF - Gonzo - Cooper Kupp, WR, Eastern Washington
• So many mixed opinions about this guy, like Jordan Willis, Mahomes, & Peppers. Kupp is about to be 24, and is hit or miss with metrics and measurables. I think he's a slot WR with some size and the upside is somewhere between Danny Amendola and Marques Colston.

3.67 CHI - Sheppard - Adoree' Jackson, CB, USC
• Looked improved this year. Has some traits that make me think he can eventually be a good NFL corner.

3.68 JAX - cop1211 - Taylor Moton, OT, Western Michigan
• Looked good in all-star game practices, after some adjustment to LOC.

3.69 LAR - Enigma - Malachi Dupree WR LSU

3.70 NYJ - Thrillseeker - Bucky Hodges TE Virginia Tech
• I have mixed feelings. Two years ago, I thought he'd be the perfect move TE. Last year and a half, they played him as a straight up WR, which changed the perception of him. He's super freaky athletically and he did show the toughness and hands you'd like to see earlier in his career-- just think he needs to be more of a TE to get the mismatches and opportunities he needs. Football smart player, former QB. Wouldn't shock me if the Steelers picked him, depending on where he's available.

3.71 LAC - DP39 - Josh Jones, S, North Carolina State
3.72 CAR - Mystery GM - JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC
3.73 CIN - Steel Drama - Tarrell Basham, DE, Ohio
3.74 PHI - Ice - Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado
• I go back and forth. Sometimes I think he's a great slot corner and sometimes I think he's not physical enough. Tough to gauge any defender in that conference-- just so up tempo, wide open, quick throws. At least he'll be acclimated to NE's attack.

3.75 BUF - Pabst - Justin Evans, DB, Texas A&M
• A little overaggressive at times. After the Mike Mitchell era, I'm ready for less of that.

3.76 NO - You're Dead to Me - Zay Jones, WR, East Carolina
• Looked tremendous at Senior Bowl. His college career looks an awful lot like Emmanuel Sanders' time at SMU, except Jones is a better athlete overall.

3.77 AZ - OhioSteeler - Dorian Johnson, OG, Pitt
3.78 BAL - Obviously - Ryan Anderson, LB, Alabama
• Solid player but doesn't do any one thing extremely well. Could have a long, unspectacular career.3

3.79 MIN - mick - Isaiah Ford, WR, Virginia Tech
3.80 IND - jebrick - Marcus Maye, S, Florida
3.81 WAS - BarryFoster - Chris Wormley, DT, Michigan
3.82 DEN - ironzabo - Curtis Samuel, WR/RB, Ohio State
3.83 TEN - FC - Ahkello Witherspoon, CB, Colorado
• I know he played Safety at one time, and I know he made some tackles... but the lack of physicality is an issue with him. As far as straight coverage-- wow, he is good.

3.84 TB - pitty smitty - Daeshon Hall, DE, Texas A & M
• A guy I'd take a chance on if he falls later than expected. Nice length and bend. Not quite elite but he has something.

3.85 DET - Charles Demarr - Adam Shaheen, TE, Ashland
• Runs away from DBs at his LOC. Will that translate? I think he gets in an NFL training program and becomes a pretty good player. I think his game is an awful lot like Dennis Pitta, except Shaheen is like 30lbs heavier and about the same athletically.

3.86 MIN - mick - Marlon Mack, RB, South Florida
• Really like this kid and could see him in black & gold. Fumbles were an issue occasionally, but he plays with deceptive speed-- better than he times. Good 3-down back.

3.87 NE - treat88 (from NYG) - Chris Godwin, WR, Penn State DuBois
• He's not going to wow with separation in routes, but he's the best 50/50 ball WR in this class. He has athleticism that should allow him to win... needs polish in route skills.

3.88 OAK - FromPittWL - Jake Butt, TE, Michigan
3.89 HOU - FortyThree - Roderick Johnson, OT, Florida State
3.90 SEA - fractalsteel - Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE, Villanova
• Built like it. Looks like it. Who knows if he can be it. He's not an athletic freak, despite his physique and build... so, risky proposition.

3.91 KC - smithessmokin - Dalvin Tomlinson, NT, Alabama
3.92 DAL - TB - Rasul Douglas, CB, West Virginia
3..93 GB - Omegosh - Alex Anzalone, LB Florida
3.94 SF - Gonzo (from PIT) - D'onta Foreman, RB, Texas
3.95 ATL - ScottCarasik - Trey Hendrickson, DE, Florida Atlantic
• Really good first step and shined at Senior Bowl. Checks the athletic freak boxes pretty well.
• Only thing he struggles with is length

3.96 NYG - JL58 (from NE) - Elijah Qualls, DT, Washington
3.97 MIA - SteelerChef - Pat Elflein, OC/OG, Ohio State
3.98 CAR - Mystery GM - Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson
3.99 BAL - Obviously - Nico Siragusa, OG, San Diego State
3.100 TEN - FC - Eddie Jackson, S, Alabama
• I heard he's a little soft, which turned me off

3.101 DEN - ironzabo - Julie'n Davenport OT Bucknell
• Long ways to go but worth a developmental shot because of planet theory size/length.

3.102 SEA - fractalsteel - Vincent Taylor DT Oklahoma
• I kinda love this kid. He might only be a nickel inside rusher and special teamer-- he can get moved in the interior run game and he's high cut-- but he wins with length and a quick enough get off to get pressure and shoot gaps. Good rushing production in a league where the ball usually comes out under 2 seconds. Also a dominant presence in middle of FG block team-- had two XP blocks vs Texas, one of which he skied on the dead run to block, scooped up the ball on a bounce, ran with it, and lateraled perfectly for the eventual score.

3.103 NE - treat88 - from CLE - SP - [R3 - 3]Ethan Pocic, C LSU
• Looked really good in Senior Bowl 1 on 1s in practice.

3.104 KC - smithesmokin - Carlos Watkins DT Clemson
3.105 PIT - B2B - Elijah Lee LB Kansas St
• A guy who always stands out when you watch his team play. Good athlete and smart football player. If he can be big enough to play inside LB, he has cover skills, blitzing acumen, play diagnostics.

3.106 SEA - fractalsteel - Isaac Asiata OG Utah.
3.107 NYJ - Thrillseeker - Amara Darboh WR Michigan
• Excellent SPARQ athlete
[/quote]

Last edited by bradshaw2ben on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: SteelerFury Scout's Take on Prospects
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:38 pm 

x

Last edited by bradshaw2ben on Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: B2B On The Top Of The Draft Prospects
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:17 pm 

Great idea for a post. It will even get better if others follow suit. I will try this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:34 am 

I hope to continue, but only with players I actually have a take on-- not all 253 :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:17 am 

To comment on my own:

DE Myles Garrett - Not much to say aside from the obvious. Freak athlete with tape to match. Should be amongst top edge rushers in NFL in short time.

CB Sidney Jones - Has the best tape of any corner in the class. Lacks a little size, but is super competitive. Marcus Peters without the baggage is how he's been described.

TE David Njoku - Has all the tools to be a Top 5 NFL TE. Not just a receiver, good effort as a pass blocker, aggressive and willing. Could use work as run blocker which isn't a reason to knock him IMO. Would be like getting pissed that your Ferrari can't tow your boat.

FS Marcus Williams - Just great range and coverage skills. Not a big hitter. Again, with NFL passing game being what it is... you want a FS like this.

DT Demarcus Walker FSU - Why is Jon Allen a Top 5 pick and Walker isn't in the top 64? I drafted Walker to be a wave interior pass rusher and 3 tech. Keep him fresh and let him create havoc on passing downs. With Garrett and Ogbah on the edge, Walker will stress the fuck out of any interior O-line. Can rotate in at DE as well. A chess piece who had amazing production at FSU.

Post subject: Re: SteelerFury Scout's Take on Prospects
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:47 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
I've been trying desperately to not talk about prospects before our board draft-- trying to play close to the vest. I'm sure I'm not the only one. So. Herein, I give a quick blurb on my take of the prospects drafted so far in the board draft... feel free to chime in and I will add to the SteelerFury scout's take for each prospect.

• Not much to say aside from the obvious. Freak athlete with tape to match. Should be amongst top edge rushers in NFL in short time.

May not look as dynamic, but gets the job done and more athletic than you think. Great hand usage. Young.

Young and can get better. Has shown flashes of being a superstar, also has some down plays. Ascending player.

The medicals are rough. He may drop further. Great player on the inside, though.

Not perfect, but very talented and elite athletically.

Was he just coasting through the combine, or is this the most you get from him, preparation wise? On the field, tremendous size-sped combo who outran the defenders angles-- he's faster that they thought he was. 240 is a lot of man once it gets moving at that speed.

Probably my pick to be the best defensive player in this draft, if he goes to a team that will play him as an edge in a 3-4. He can move, he has speed to power-- and he's a baby, in terms of his training and physical development.

On tape alone, easily the best safety prospect in some time. So smooth and decisive on the field, physicality to go with it.

Have no idea about the off the field, but on the field he's a badass.

Capable of making impossible plays-- the kind you'd replay 10 times if you did it on Madden. He needs some work to overcome his inconsistencies in the finer points of the game, but I'd feel good about throwing it to him on 4th down, with the Super Bowl on the line.

I think he can play. Don't know if he has Shazier's burst-- but he's otherwise basically a RS clone. Maybe smoother and better in coverage, which figures, with the CB background.

• He's a great college player on tape. He scared me a little at combine-- more awkward than I expected in drills.
• Has the best tape of any corner in the class. Lacks a little size, but is super competitive. Marcus Peters without the baggage is how he's been described.

It's a shame he won't work out before the draft... would be interesting to compare him athletically with other WRs. He has size, he runs routes, he has good hands, although he suffers the occasional concentration drop.

On tape, great except for fumbling issues. Off the field? Combine testing? No idea how to explain it. In general, I think this RB class is deep but not elite in terms of talent at the top.

I wanted not to like him but I just can't. If he goes to a team where he fits, could be something really sepcial.

On film, my top-rated CB in the draft. Man, he not only covers everyone, he covers them like a glove-- no separation. My knocks: A. he was covering the #2s, while Quincy got the #1s. B. long speed C. weird personality off the field

I barely watched him because, before yesterday, I didn't imagine the Steelers might let Timmons go.

Actually, a pretty good route runner for a guy mostly winning on speed. Health and durability are the only questions. Suffered from some erratic QB play, too. Great fit for a team with a real NFL QB.

I just don't get it. Troy comparisons are fine, but Troy was Troy because of elite burst AND instincts for the game. Peppers isn't a good enough player above the neck and he's not the elite athlete, either.

I'm coming around a little. He has great movement skills-- he goes down a little too easily for an NFL back and he can fake guys out-- but he doesn't have the very subtle quick cuts of the elite ball carriers/YAC guys. His versatility is the strongest suit-- can line up as slot receiver and then motion into tailback.

Like the player. Underaged. His dad was a bit of a headcase, so I've struggled not to hold that against him. At little stiffer than the CBs above him, but he is physical and plays like an NFL player.

WTF. On tape, he looks like an absolute freak athlete and destined for NFL greatness. Oh, and then he'll disappear for a while. To my eye, he looked like he thought he was an elite edge player and the coaches wanted him to bang the interior. I did hear that they told him before the season that he was going to start at edge, and then they 86ed that the first day of practice, so maybe that has something to do with his dissatisfaction. Meanwhile, he tested like an average athlete. When I watched him, I thought, "here is the next great ferocious edge rusher in the NFL". Then, at the combine, he doesn't look like that guy at all, gives F'ed up interviews... don't know what to make of him at this point.

Amazing feet for an OL. Perfect fit for a ZBS team. One year of FBS football, some techinal issues as a pass blocker, and an injury are some red flags... but... wow.

I really like him. He's a little short but I wouldn't set fire to my living room if he were the pick at 30. He'd be a pretty great running mate for Davis and as a bigger slot guy in big nickel.

Love his "compete level", as they say. His unbelievable stats in the 4th quarter over the course of his career speak for themselves. I don't know if he has the tools to be a great QB, but clearly worth a high pick to find out.

Dominant player at times, even in pass pro vs good edge players... although the talk amongst the 'experts' is that he won't be a LT. Great size and length for the position.

Solid interior player. Didn't follow the group too closely this year because I'm picking for the Steelers.

On the verge of getting the B2B seal of approval-- but WTH happened in his 3-cone? Was it a fluke that it was so bad? I went back and looked at tape and damned if he doesn't seem a little stiff bending the edge/changing directions. That can be the kiss of death for an edge rusher, although I might have been willing in Rd2 to overlook his testing flaws.

Super talented-- probably the best RB in this class on the field. I just don't get why he was even involved in this altercation at all. He followed two people into the sub shop who seemed to be having an argument with each other, one of them was an emotionally charged woman-- what kind of poor judgement do you have to have to even get involve in such a thing. I'd be worried to death about what choice he might make the rest of his career.

You can see my thoughts in the draft thread-- I love this player and think he's going to be a great 3-4 OLB in the league. Not even close to maximizing his talents, and he was pretty good overall anyway. My leading contender for the actual Steelers pick at 1.30, come draft day.

I like him a lot as a 4-3 end. He seems to be getting better each year.

One year wonders scare me at QB position. He looks pretty good, though, and had a little late-game magic, which usually isn't a coincidence.

• Future All-Pro. Big butt to get separation in short routes, YAC skills galore once he catches it. Can run by, through, around you or fly over you. I watched a game this year where I believe he did all of the above. Barely scratched the surface of his potential.
• Has all the tools to be a Top 5 NFL TE. Not just a receiver, good effort as a pass blocker, aggressive and willing. Could use work as run blocker which isn't a reason to knock him IMO. Would be like getting pissed that your Ferrari can't tow your boat.

My favorite player in the draft class. You can go on and on about his flaws and too eager to make a big play or poor mechanics or poor decisions or whatever-- this dude has 'IT' with capital letters.

On paper and in shorts, he looks like Kam Chancellor. On the field, he's disappointing, considering all that athletic talent. Maybe you can mold that guy into something special but he's not an elite football player yet.

Ultimately will find his ideal fit as a 4-3 blitzing WOLB or perhaps LEO. He moves extremely fluidly in coverage, just has some issues beating good OTs.

I love the quote from an opponent, who called him a prick-- meant as a compliment. Gets in your head. Also a one year wonder kind of guy, which is a flag, but talented and looks the part.

Going to be a team leader and solid starter from day 1.

Injury questions galore, football intelligence issues. Could be that he was hampered by shoulder injury and might have played better without it-- or could be he's a hot mess.

Sexy pick right now-- good athlete. Is he really good or does he just look better than some of these other RBs?

Seems like another player on the rise. Also played a lot vs the other team's #2s. He has good tape, though.

Extremely versatile and great athlete. This year's Jamie Collins, although a little more fluid and less powerful. Would be a great fit at ROLB for the Steelers, provided his pass rush acumen can match his athleticism.

If he had come out last year, I would have had him at the top of the class. Don't know what went wrong this year but he's had transcendental moments, like in his first college game vs Clemson.

Really like him. Could be a great, versatile CB-- great in slot, confident on the outside, can blitz and run support.

Not sure he's worth the hype, but at some point late in 3rd he'd be an intriguing choice.

Stud, for a team that basically views TE as a big WR.

Probably my favorite lineman in the draft. I saw the first day of Senior Bowl practice, where Raeshon Hall tooled him with an inside move on the very first rep; coaches said, 'do it again'. This time, Hall tried the same move with a counter. Garcia slapped away the inside move and then swallowed the counter-- learned his lesson on one rep.

Realizing how little I know about the ILB prospects that didn't stand out to me.

Seems like a very similar player to Artie Burns. Great vs big targets in red zone, makes plays on the ball, nice length, good speed.

For a guy who was suppsed to be a mid round pick because he's not athletic enough-- sure looked pretty athletic at the combine. I heard people think he's a safety eventually; I think he's where the future of the NFL is headed-- slot guys who are part S/part CB/LB mentality.

• Very good range as back defender. Good with intermediate coverage, too. From DB U. A lot to like.
• Just great range and coverage skills. Not a big hitter. Again, with NFL passing game being what it is... you want a FS like this.

The freaky athleticism is there, I just don't see the results on the field matching that. Possible that he gets molded into a very good edge player.

Terrific football player and a high-motor guy.

He's two years older than many of the Edge guys in this draft. At times, he was really good-- but he's also playing in favorable rush situations, on a team loaded with talent giving him opportunities. I was put off by his testing, too. He's 23+.. he should be killing the testing.

Willie Gay 2.0-- which is a good thing if you want a zone CB who can give you solid snaps in the slot and outside.

Glorified WR but he has tools.

Interesting guy. He's big, so you'd think he'd be better on the outside-- but he played a lot of slot and, watching him at the combine, I can see a few potential reasons. He doesn't flip his hips well, something that is hugely important on the outside. I can see him being a useful slot Corner vs teams with bigger slot guys. I wonder how he will fare with quick little smurfs. I have to go back and see him vs North Carolina to see if he matched up with Switzer at all.

Another guy suited to play the slot. Would be a nice pick for the Steelers, provided he falls to 62 and provided the Steelers still need a slot guy by the time the draft kicks off.

Never liked the player; unsurprised to hear he's been destroying his reputation with NFL people during the draft process. Why on earth didn't you run and work out during the combine? Headcase.

Not the most NFL ready, but he has the potential to be an elite cover guy. Looked really good during all-star week.

I like his length and ability to go and get the football. Also young. Also played on a sophisticated defense, where he was asked to do some different coverages and such.

Really like the player and almost drafted him. I think he may struggle with deep speed but would make a nice complement to Burns, as an outside guy. You could do worse than Burns-Golson-Q Wilson, if Jobu is so kind.

• Best interior rusher I saw on tape this year. College IOL no match for his rips, dips, bullrush. He just ate them alive. Couldn't get a crumb from OTs though. was hoping he'd work out at combine, just so I could try to see an analytic that might explain this oddity.
• Why is Jon Allen a Top 5 pick and Walker isn't in the top 64? I drafted Walker to be a wave interior pass rusher and 3 tech. Keep him fresh and let him create havoc on passing downs. With Garrett and Ogbah on the edge, Walker will stress the fuck out of any interior O-line. Can rotate in at DE as well. A chess piece who had amazing production at FSU.

Nice stuff B2B, we naturally have differences on some guys (which ill post when i have more time )but great idea on a post, even better than the mock draft.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:09 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
I've been trying desperately to not talk about prospects before our board draft-- trying to play close to the vest. I'm sure I'm not the only one. So. Herein, I give a quick blurb on my take of the prospects drafted so far in the board draft... feel free to chime in and I will add to the SteelerFury scout's take for each prospect.

May not look as dynamic, but gets the job done and more athletic than you think. Great hand usage. Young.

Young and can get better. Has shown flashes of being a superstar, also has some down plays. Ascending player.

The medicals are rough. He may drop further. Great player on the inside, though.

Was he just coasting through the combine, or is this the most you get from him, preparation wise? On the field, tremendous size-sped combo who outran the defenders angles-- he's faster that they thought he was. 240 is a lot of man once it gets moving at that speed.

Probably my pick to be the best defensive player in this draft, if he goes to a team that will play him as an edge in a 3-4. He can move, he has speed to power-- and he's a baby, in terms of his training and physical development.

On tape alone, easily the best safety prospect in some time. So smooth and decisive on the field, physicality to go with it.

Capable of making impossible plays-- the kind you'd replay 10 times if you did it on Madden. He needs some work to overcome his inconsistencies in the finer points of the game, but I'd feel good about throwing it to him on 4th down, with the Super Bowl on the line.

I think he can play. Don't know if he has Shazier's burst-- but he's otherwise basically a RS clone. Maybe smoother and better in coverage, which figures, with the CB background.

It's a shame he won't work out before the draft... would be interesting to compare him athletically with other WRs. He has size, he runs routes, he has good hands, although he suffers the occasional concentration drop.

On tape, great except for fumbling issues. Off the field? Combine testing? No idea how to explain it. In general, I think this RB class is deep but not elite in terms of talent at the top.

I wanted not to like him but I just can't. If he goes to a team where he fits, could be something really sepcial.

On film, my top-rated CB in the draft. Man, he not only covers everyone, he covers them like a glove-- no separation. My knocks: A. he was covering the #2s, while Quincy got the #1s. B. long speed C. weird personality off the field

I barely watched him because, before yesterday, I didn't imagine the Steelers might let Timmons go.

Actually, a pretty good route runner for a guy mostly winning on speed. Health and durability are the only questions. Suffered from some erratic QB play, too. Great fit for a team with a real NFL QB.

I just don't get it. Troy comparisons are fine, but Troy was Troy because of elite burst AND instincts for the game. Peppers isn't a good enough player above the neck and he's not the elite athlete, either.

I'm coming around a little. He has great movement skills-- he goes down a little too easily for an NFL back and he can fake guys out-- but he doesn't have the very subtle quick cuts of the elite ball carriers/YAC guys. His versatility is the strongest suit-- can line up as slot receiver and then motion into tailback.

Like the player. Underaged. His dad was a bit of a headcase, so I've struggled not to hold that against him. At little stiffer than the CBs above him, but he is physical and plays like an NFL player.

WTF. On tape, he looks like an absolute freak athlete and destined for NFL greatness. Oh, and then he'll disappear for a while. To my eye, he looked like he thought he was an elite edge player and the coaches wanted him to bang the interior. I did hear that they told him before the season that he was going to start at edge, and then they 86ed that the first day of practice, so maybe that has something to do with his dissatisfaction. Meanwhile, he tested like an average athlete. When I watched him, I thought, "here is the next great ferocious edge rusher in the NFL". Then, at the combine, he doesn't look like that guy at all, gives F'ed up interviews... don't know what to make of him at this point.

Amazing feet for an OL. Perfect fit for a ZBS team. One year of FBS football, some techinal issues as a pass blocker, and an injury are some red flags... but... wow.

I really like him. He's a little short but I wouldn't set fire to my living room if he were the pick at 30. He'd be a pretty great running mate for Davis and as a bigger slot guy in big nickel.

Love his "compete level", as they say. His unbelievable stats in the 4th quarter over the course of his career speak for themselves. I don't know if he has the tools to be a great QB, but clearly worth a high pick to find out.

Dominant player at times, even in pass pro vs good edge players... although the talk amongst the 'experts' is that he won't be a LT. Great size and length for the position.

Solid interior player. Didn't follow the group too closely this year because I'm picking for the Steelers.

On the verge of getting the B2B seal of approval-- but WTH happened in his 3-cone? Was it a fluke that it was so bad? I went back and looked at tape and damned if he doesn't seem a little stiff bending the edge/changing directions. That can be the kiss of death for an edge rusher, although I might have been willing in Rd2 to overlook his testing flaws.

Super talented-- probably the best RB in this class on the field. I just don't get why he was even involved in this altercation at all. He followed two people into the sub shop who seemed to be having an argument with each other, one of them was an emotionally charged woman-- what kind of poor judgement do you have to have to even get involve in such a thing. I'd be worried to death about what choice he might make the rest of his career.

You can see my thoughts in the draft thread-- I love this player and think he's going to be a great 3-4 OLB in the league. Not even close to maximizing his talents, and he was pretty good overall anyway. My leading contender for the actual Steelers pick at 1.30, come draft day.

One year wonders scare me at QB position. He looks pretty good, though, and had a little late-game magic, which usually isn't a coincidence.

My favorite player in the draft class. You can go on and on about his flaws and too eager to make a big play or poor mechanics or poor decisions or whatever-- this dude has 'IT' with capital letters.

On paper and in shorts, he looks like Kam Chancellor. On the field, he's disappointing, considering all that athletic talent. Maybe you can mold that guy into something special but he's not an elite football player yet.

Ultimately will find his ideal fit as a 4-3 blitzing WOLB or perhaps LEO. He moves extremely fluidly in coverage, just has some issues beating good OTs.

I love the quote from an opponent, who called him a prick-- meant as a compliment. Gets in your head. Also a one year wonder kind of guy, which is a flag, but talented and looks the part.

Injury questions galore, football intelligence issues. Could be that he was hampered by shoulder injury and might have played better without it-- or could be he's a hot mess.

Sexy pick right now-- good athlete. Is he really good or does he just look better than some of these other RBs?

Seems like another player on the rise. Also played a lot vs the other team's #2s. He has good tape, though.

Extremely versatile and great athlete. This year's Jamie Collins, although a little more fluid and less powerful. Would be a great fit at ROLB for the Steelers, provided his pass rush acumen can match his athleticism.

If he had come out last year, I would have had him at the top of the class. Don't know what went wrong this year but he's had transcendental moments, like in his first college game vs Clemson.

Really like him. Could be a great, versatile CB-- great in slot, confident on the outside, can blitz and run support.

Not sure he's worth the hype, but at some point late in 3rd he'd be an intriguing choice.

Probably my favorite lineman in the draft. I saw the first day of Senior Bowl practice, where Raeshon Hall tooled him with an inside move on the very first rep; coaches said, 'do it again'. This time, Hall tried the same move with a counter. Garcia slapped away the inside move and then swallowed the counter-- learned his lesson on one rep.

Realizing how little I know about the ILB prospects that didn't stand out to me.

Seems like a very similar player to Artie Burns. Great vs big targets in red zone, makes plays on the ball, nice length, good speed.

For a guy who was suppsed to be a mid round pick because he's not athletic enough-- sure looked pretty athletic at the combine. I heard people think he's a safety eventually; I think he's where the future of the NFL is headed-- slot guys who are part S/part CB/LB mentality.

The freaky athleticism is there, I just don't see the results on the field matching that. Possible that he gets molded into a very good edge player.

He's two years older than many of the Edge guys in this draft. At times, he was really good-- but he's also playing in favorable rush situations, on a team loaded with talent giving him opportunities. I was put off by his testing, too. He's 23+.. he should be killing the testing.

Willie Gay 2.0-- which is a good thing if you want a zone CB who can give you solid snaps in the slot and outside.

Interesting guy. He's big, so you'd think he'd be better on the outside-- but he played a lot of slot and, watching him at the combine, I can see a few potential reasons. He doesn't flip his hips well, something that is hugely important on the outside. I can see him being a useful slot Corner vs teams with bigger slot guys. I wonder how he will fare with quick little smurfs. I have to go back and see him vs North Carolina to see if he matched up with Switzer at all.

Another guy suited to play the slot. Would be a nice pick for the Steelers, provided he falls to 62 and provided the Steelers still need a slot guy by the time the draft kicks off.

Never liked the player; unsurprised to hear he's been destroying his reputation with NFL people during the draft process. Why on earth didn't you run and work out during the combine? Headcase.

Not the most NFL ready, but he has the potential to be an elite cover guy. Looked really good during all-star week.

I like his length and ability to go and get the football. Also young. Also played on a sophisticated defense, where he was asked to do some different coverages and such.

Really like the player and almost drafted him. I think he may struggle with deep speed but would make a nice complement to Burns, as an outside guy. You could do worse than Burns-Golson-Q Wilson, if Jobu is so kind.

Nice stuff B2B, we naturally have differences on some guys (which ill post when i have more time )but great idea on a post, even better than the mock draft.

I Agree.....looking fwd to your take Greek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:17 am 

elerChef"]
GreekSteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

I Agree.....looking fwd to your take Greek[/quote]

Likewise STD