It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My 1st real Shot at a Steelers mock 2017
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:47 pm 

What I think the Steelers may do...I don't love all the players

1. Hassan Reddick LB Temple- I keep going back and forth about his availability ...If he is taken I expect TJ Watt is the pick

2. Chris Godwin Wr PSU- Massive hands...Understands how to use his frame. He reminds me of Cris Carter..He wants the ball and gets the ball when its in the air...Athletic testing was amazing...I expected it would be good...Not that good

3. Howard Wilson CB Houston- B2B all star...He has skills. He needs refinement and reps to reach potential. Potential is as high as any corner in the draft

3C.Marcus Maye SS Florida- Miscast as a FS...He is at his best as an inbox safety. He is a younger version of Mike Mitchell. Coming off knee injury biggest impact won't be felt until 2018

4. Marlon Mack RB South Florida-He fumbles...Outside of that he is everything you're looking for in a back. Had zero offensive line help at South Florida. Vision is a bit hit or miss. He reminds me of Willie Parker better in the passing game though

5. Chad Kelly QB Ole Miss- If any team will be willing to take the chance I think the Steelers may be that team. Any questions about his ability refer to any Alabama Auburn LSU game and please remember Dashon Watson most likely never starts a game at Clemson.

6.Ejuan Price OLB Pitt- Oft injured. Great production local kid who does fit the Steelers scheme.

7.Kermit Whitfield KR/Slot FSU- 4.29 with balls the size of grapefruits in the return game...Under rated receiver

Post subject: Re: My 1st real Shot at a Steelers mock 2017
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:01 pm 

Well, I really like these players-- not all my favorites, but that would be a solid draft. If they take Watt in the first round-- could it be as an ILB? He said that at least one team asked him if he'd be into that switch, and I think it has the possibility of being a good thing.

A birdie told me Shazier as the OLB in nickel is a thing that might be coming in 2017. If you draft a guy like Watt or Hasson, could have a similar role.

Frankly, I think we're missing a pure speed rusher in the rotation. let Dupree and Deebo bang on guys for a while, then bring in a blur like my guy Pita Taumoepenu as a change up. We just don't have that tool in our arsenal.

As for safety, we need a hybrid guy who can cover-- think Sean Davis but with better click and close in zone/vs run or better man coverage or, preferably, both.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:17 pm 

I could swear when the Path to the Draft dudes talked about Pittsburgh taking him on yesterday's episode they commented that he would be like the drafting of Lawrence Timmons who played outside in college and moved inside by Pittsburgh. Like every player picked, solid mock FC.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:20 pm 

Quote:
Well, I really like these players-- not all my favorites, but that would be a solid draft. If they take Watt in the first round-- could it be as an ILB? He said that at least one team asked him if he'd be into that switch, and I think it has the possibility of being a good thing.

Could he do it...I lean to yes. I think I would start with...Go hunt the QB.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:25 pm 

It's just that Watt seems so, so far from learning the pass rush gig. I think he's got good instincts, though, and could chase the play from ILB. Dunno.

BTW, I like Mack a lot. Going into the process, he was my favorite. I agree that he does seem to hit a lot of HRs, much like fast willie.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:46 pm 

Quote:
It's just that Watt seems so, so far from learning the pass rush gig. I think he's got good instincts, though, and could chase the play from ILB. Dunno.

He seems far away...I am not sure he is.

He understands leverage and he plays with proper technique...He is just real raw. He has played less than 15 games at OLB. The more I watch the more I see the potential. He is going to add 10 pounds of good weight minimum.

If the outside rusher gig doesnt pan out...He is a fit inside.

He understands how to take on blocks
He understands blocking schemes
He finds the ball
He has a feel for the game
He chases the ball like a bat out of hell
He is talented.

He is a safer pick than most people realize. Safer than.....Reddick or Humphery

I am not sure Watt will be a superstar...He maybe the Jim Youngblood of the family.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:31 pm 

I still feel like safety is a big, unaddressed issue. Sean Davis seems pretty comfortable playing in coverage from in the box and he seems capable of single high. He doesn't look good at all in quarters or playing off-man. To me, we need a complementary safety partner or two for him. Either a coverage guy to be his deep cover or a guy who can play some slot style 3rd S, while Davis plays deep. I simply don't trust Mike Mitchell at all in the passing game. He adds nothing. To have someone with a knack for coverage and some anticipation would totally outweigh the "enforcer" hits Mitchell delivers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:47 pm 

Sadly, I think both Reddick and Godwin won't be available at those slots. Would love to be wrong, but even if you're allowing for an NFL team to be mesmerized by Ross's speed at the Underwear Olympics, Godwin still looks like the 4th best wr in the draft. Reddick has the potential to go top 15, easily. I just have trouble getting excited about Watt.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:14 pm 

Ice wrote:
Sadly, I think both Reddick and Godwin won't be available at those slots. Would love to be wrong, but even if you're allowing for an NFL team to be mesmerized by Ross's speed at the Underwear Olympics, Godwin still looks like the 4th best wr in the draft. Reddick has the potential to go top 15, easily. I just have trouble getting excited about Watt.

I'll take a stab as to the collective NFL view of WRs:

Corey Davis
John Ross
Mike Williams
Zay Jones
Carlos Henderson
-----
Godwin
ArDarius Stewart
JuJu
Darboh
Chad Hansen
-----
and pretty much everybody else.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:41 pm 

I think, come the end of April, it'll be some combination of Davis/Williams 1 and 2 (depends on pro day results, a little bit), Ross then Godwin.

I'll need to look at some more Zay Jones. Easy Carolina is at least directional enough to meet B2B criteria, and you seem pretty high on him.

Henderson? I know it's been a while, but undersized receivers from Louisiana Tech still make me cringe and barf in my mouth a little.

I'll admit, Darboh surprised me. He doesn't play as athletic as he showed in Indy.