It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Carl Lawson = Corey Lemonier
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:26 am 

I would love to see them draft a pass rusher that will complement Dupree. I'd be willing to spend a 1st or 2nd RND pick at OLB. I would love to see them replace Timmons in the middle. As much as I love VWill I believe he is a stop-gap at this point. Also I would be willing to spend a 1st or 2nd RND for ILB. Of course it all comes down to who is available at both the 30 and 62 picks. If the offense needs a shot in the arm as everyone claims I look to add someone in the 3rd RND. As much as they need secondary I beleive this year's draft to be fairly deep at both safety and corner. That said, dependant on who is available [in my perfect world]... I spend one of the 3rd's and the 4th RND pick to address the secondary.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:06 pm 

Excellent discussion and a good read. Thanks for your inputs to have to dissect.

I would be on board with King as the pick at #30. Most of the players I want all seem to be slated to go between 30 & 62. A move back to gain a pick and another move up seems like a way to load us up. But hey, its the draft. They way it seems to be predicted at this point, it may be a good option to go QB. But its almost Mahomes or no one for me too. And the way its going, the Browns just might shock the world and take him #1 by draft day.

It seems like MOST years the position whose top (#1) player that still could be around at #30 is Safety, Tight End and the past few years possibly RB. Zeke last year may have changed the trend with RB. It appears by all the prediction a TE or two could go before #30.. Is there a chance that the #1 or #2 safety will still be available at #30? If there is, is that a way the Steelers should go? I haven't heard much love for Safety at #30. Too high??? How about that kid Obl Melifonwu? Read a bit on him and he seems like hes thought to be a play-maker. Is that completely out of the question???

There were some pundits predicting WR for the Steelers in the first. John Ross I think, which I thought was out of the question, but that would be ideal based on Scunges thoughts.

#1 - John Ross
#2 - Willis
#3 - Someone like a Howard Wilson
#3B - Safety, RB or TE like Kittle/Shaheen

That could be sweet right???

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:17 am 

I have been banging the drum for some time this offseason that we need to add pieces to the offense. I don't think we are 'set' on offense. Some may agree, disagree but I just think you are making a huge mistake crossing your fingers and hoping that:

1. Bryant is reinstated.
2. That Bryant does not screw up again.
3. That Green finally get cleared to play again and that...
4. ...he has no further concussions. Didn't he have two concussions his last year in SD and then he immediately gets one after 6 games with us? So, what is that, 3 concussions in a 15 month span?
5. That Fitz and Knile Davis can replace DeAngelo Williams.
6. That the injury to Coates hand does not linger. Did he have surgery to fix it or not? And what about the groin injury?
7. The injury to Heyward-Bey last season was really the first time he had dealt with that. He is at that 30 year old threshold where players just start to accumulate injuries and have trouble staying healthy, see DeAngelo Williams.

I am sorry, but that is way too many ifs for me. The Steelers should do more than just spend a late 3rd round pick on a RB, or a 5th or 6th round pick on a WR. What good is that going to do?

We just don't need depth, we need starters at TE, at WR that can have an impact, that can get this offense to be truly explosive, and score more points. I am not really that big a fan of either Ross or Mike Williams at WR in this draft. My guy is Corey Davis. To me he has the more well rounded game, can do it all. 6'3" 210 and even though he hasn't been able to run and test, I think he is a 4.45 40 guy speed wise.

The thing is, Davis not being able to work out may create a Heath Miller situation for us. Miller had the sports hernia thing and dropped in the draft. There he was at pick 30 and we were able to take the best TE prospect, the #1 TE in the draft. So, here we are picking with that 30th spot again, and I have to believe that the Steelers probably have Davis ranked as the #1 WR prospect. If he is there, why shouldn't he be the choice? Why not take the BPA? Sort of a back to the future moment for me. Why spend that first rounder on an OLB when that remaining player at the top of the OLB list is probably the 5th or 6th best OLB prospect? When you do that you are beginning to force the issue, to reach.

Then I hear people proclaim that what if Bryant does stay clean and starts, you just wasted a 1st round pick on a WR that you didn't need to. What? Are you telling me that a WR trio of Bryant, Corey Davis and Antonio Brown would be a bad thing? That 3rd WR usually plays 65-70% of the time, they are nearly a starter anyway. Besides, does anybody think Bryant is going to be in Pittsburgh when his rookie contract plays out? I don't.

Same situation with TE, if we drafted the kid out of Miami with the first round pick and Green somehow is able to play, so what? How is that a problem? It just means the offense is going to be that much better, that much more dangerous. And if, probably just a matter of when Green gets another concussion then we still have a stud pass catcher.

Spending that first round pick on a WR or a TE can have an immediate impact for this team, just as much as spending that pick on an OLB or CB.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:07 pm 

This is a draft where you can get a move TE and a #2-4 WR literally as UDFAs. Soooooo deep at those two positions.

My biggest fear is that they will utterly waste a pick on a RB before day 3. When looking for a complementary/backup role player, there's zero need to spend a premium pick.

The skinniest stuff in this draft-- ILB, CB, & Edge rusher. Pick those early.