It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 22 Players attending the draft
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:38 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Other names I think fit too.
Treston Decoud, Marshall Taylor, Michael Davis, Jordon Vaden, Josh Harvey-Clemons, Montae Nicholson, Branden Leston, Nathan Gerry, Kenny Keys, Chaz Elder, Adam Jones (Northwestern St.)

JHC, for sure

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:56 am 

The biggest concern regarding Harvey-Clemons is his failed drug tests, suspension history and ultimate dismissal from the Georgia football program altogether. Not sure if the Steelers want to invite yet another trouble plagued individual onto their team. Otherwise most of his limitations on the field can be coached up. Other than that he's a tackle machine with good length and some athleticism. Has that FBI.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:16 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
The biggest concern regarding Harvey-Clemons is his failed drug tests, suspension history and ultimate dismissal from the Georgia football program altogether. Not sure if the Steelers want to invite yet another trouble plagued individual onto their team. Otherwise most of his limitations on the field can be coached up. Other than that he's a tackle machine with good length and some athleticism. Has that FBI.

I'd take Brian Allen, I think, to play that S/CB hybird type. If you pick Tyus Bowser in some earlier round, then you've got two guys who can cover almost anyone any NFL team can throw at you in the slot.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:53 pm 

Allen certainly fits the Height, Weight and Speed category. Some reports are he's exceptionally raw technique wise. Missed tackles, bad angles and struggles tracking the ball on deep passes. Could just be he needs vision checked. Perhaps contacts are all he needs there. That stuff I believe can be coached up. You can't coach 4.4s-4.5s 40 speed at 6'3. You can't coach 34" arms, 10" hands, 38" vert, 10' 7" broad jump or a 6.64s 3 cone at his size. Safety/Slot Corner written all over that dude. Very similar to Kam Chancellor in measurables. Perhaps even a little faster and lighter by 15 lbs. I could see Allen being drafted earlier than warranted based on measurables alone.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:32 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Allen certainly fits the Height, Weight and Speed category. Some reports are he's exceptionally raw technique wise. Missed tackles, bad angles and struggles tracking the ball on deep passes. Could just be he needs vision checked. Perhaps contacts are all he needs there. That stuff I believe can be coached up. You can't coach 4.4s-4.5s 40 speed at 6'3. You can't coach 34" arms, 10" hands, 38" vert, 10' 7" broad jump or a 6.64s 3 cone at his size. Safety/Slot Corner written all over that dude. Very similar to Kam Chancellor in measurables. Perhaps even a little faster and lighter by 15 lbs. I could see Allen being drafted earlier than warranted based on measurables alone.

I'll bet you I watched More Brian Allen than most high profile draft guys. I scouted Pita Taumoepenu, Hunter Dimick, Marcus Williams and the OL-- had to really scramble to find games and ended up watching many of their games last two years. Issues tracking the deep ball is something Allen, Marcus Williams, Evans from Texas A&M, and Marlon Humphreys all have in common-- I'd say Allen has the least issue with it compared to the others I mentioned. As for tackling and angles-- I think, in a word, that's so much bullshit. Definitely learning on the job, but-- for instance-- look at this play from the Utah spring game last year. Great anticipation, big hit, textbook tackle.... something I find was common in to see in his games:

P.S.: the move towards bigger slot DBs is partially why I think Brian Allen is much more highly though of by NFL types than anyone else