It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gil Brandt's Top 150
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:23 pm 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000800363/article/hot-150-gil-brandts-topranked-prospects-for-2017-nfl-draft
Quote:
This is the 57th year I have produced rankings of NFL draft prospects. In the early years when I was with the Cowboys, we had only a fraction of the information we have today, with very few confirmed measurements and times for prospects.

But that has all changed. I can now look at my database and pull the confirmed short-shuttle or three-cone time of the 947th-ranked prospect instantaneously ... and in a matter of seconds have on my computer screen in front of me all the third-down-and-short run plays he was involved in at his Div. III school.

It makes an evaluator's job easier and harder at the same time. There's so much more to consider with the overload of information, but ultimately it's more accurate info, which should (in theory) make draft boards around the league more informed and precise.

With that said, here are my "Hot 150" prospects for the 2017 NFL Draft.

Man, my draft season would be a hell of a lot easier if I was Gil Brandt. It's my dream to have this all at my fingertips. Closest I came was someone in draft scout world released a spreadsheet for the 2013 Draft class-- all measurements, testing, scouting report exceprts from scouts, links to video for top 100 prospects or so. Fing fantastic. I waited and waited for the same source to publish in 2014... no dice.

Post subject: Re: Gil Brandt's Top 150
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:35 pm 

Surprised to see Derek Rivers out of his top 100. Figured he'd be a guy garnering first round interest, and someone we'd run to the podium for if he were available at our pick in the second.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:40 pm 

Don't see it. I think Rivers is in play at the end of round 3. I would take him there. I would take him with some reservations at 62 (and no way if Tyus Bowser or Jordan Willis is on the board), if we don't go edge in round 1.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:47 pm 

Gotcha. I haven't even watched anything on him tbh, just seemed to be such a hot name with Steeler fans and I hadn't seen him that low. I can't see Bowser or Willis lasting to 62. Feel more confident about a CB dropping to 62 than I do an edge.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:55 pm 

Gil has Willis at 40, Tyus Bowser at 67, and Obi Melifonwu at 68. Don't know what to make of that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:07 pm 

I just can't imagine someone not pulling the trigger on Obi in the first at some point. Just such an athletic outlier. Would be really surprising to me if he's not gone on opening night.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:57 pm 

I honestly don't thin the tape is there with Obi-- he plays mostly out of the box in college and doesn't seem to have the instincts for that. He might be great as an in the box guy to be hybrid LB/S/CB, but there's not as much film of him doing that stuff. Reportedly, teams are interested in him as a CB (!), and I'm not sure there's any film for that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:12 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Gil has Willis at 40, Tyus Bowser at 67, and Obi Melifonwu at 68. Don't know what to make of that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:43 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I honestly don't thin the tape is there with Obi-- he plays mostly out of the box in college and doesn't seem to have the instincts for that. He might be great as an in the box guy to be hybrid LB/S/CB, but there's not as much film of him doing that stuff. Reportedly, teams are interested in him as a CB (!), and I'm not sure there's any film for that.

I've adjusted my take a little-- saw some more film. He does seem to have some better pass anticipation than I remembered seeing.