It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NCAA D 1 Major Conference and Playoff Championship Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:01 pm 
I'm actually slightly more a college football then pro football fan at this point. Thought this might be fun. Feel free to run with it how you wish.

ACC

Atlantic- Florida State

Coastal- Miami

Sleeper- Va Tech

Champ- FSU

Big 10

East- Michigan State

West- Wisconsin

Sleeper- Northwestern

Champ- MSU...everyone and there mutter is picking OSU. I just don't see it...one dimensional offense missing it's best linemen and a sketchy defense replacing it's best back end players.

Big 12

Champ- Baylor

Sleeper- Texas

A few words...Oklahoma seems to be the trendy pick for those going away from an FSU repeat. I just don't see it. They have to win in this fucked up conference. Baylor and Texas blew them out of there own building last year...and have them on the road this year. I expect Texas to get a big bounce from the Strong hire...but I don't think it's enough.

Pac 12

North- Oregon

South- USC

Sleeper- Washington...my number 1 NCAA sleeper threat this year.

Champ- Oregon...by the end of the season I think Stanford might be the best team out west again...to much player turnover and to tough of a schedule to win them all early.

SEC

East- South Carolina

West- Auburn

Sleeper- Missouri...initially I wanted to go Old Miss...but the schedule considerations overcome the loss of Green Beckham. And I just can't call UGA a sleeper but if they beat Clemson and USC to start the season they will be a force.

Champ- Auburn...my thinking is the Iron Bowl winner is going to end up winning the NCAA...but this looks like it's going to be Spurrier's best offense at USC and could catch the winner sleeping.

Playoffs- Oregon, Michigan State, Auburn, FSU

National Champion- War Eagle.

Post subject: Re: NCAA D 1 Major Conference and Playoff Championship Threa
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:28 pm 

Phil Steele is my guy too and THE guy when it comes to breaking it down in CFB ;)

TCU is gonna be one helluva tough team against the number with the transfer of Matt Joeckel from Aggieland and thus allowing Patterson to get his best play maker in Boykin the ball in space ;)

USC defense is lights fucking out too and they are gonna be enthused to say the least with the Sark at the helm

Northwestern has 17 returning starters and they are gonna be a nice play across the board

Also look for the Hawkeyes in Iowa City to rise up and win 10 games

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:19 am 
ironzabo wrote:
Phil Steele is my guy too and THE guy when it comes to breaking it down in CFB

Yeah, I'm a Steele fan as well. He loads up the information...does a good job projecting on his player/position lists.

Agree with you on USC and Northwestern...mostly on TCU but they are one of those teams I never have a feel for.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:02 pm 

ACC - Florida State

Big 10 - Ohio State

Big 12 - Oklahoma

Pac 12 - Oregon

SEC - Alabama

National Champion - Oregon over Bama... coin flip for me..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:24 pm 

ACC - Florida State
Big 10 - Michigan State
Big 12 - Oklahoma
Pac 12 - UCLA
SEC - Alabama

1 Alabama over 4 Michigan State
3 Florida State over 2 UCLA

1 Alabama over 3 Florida State

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:25 pm 
Finally some hits. 38 days until LSU-Wis and SC-Boise and others. Can't come soon enough. If you get back and have something on sleepers drop it...I wish PSU was in the other division because I could talk myself into it there. Right now, I really like Washington I like the returning talent and the QB was sharper then Price in relief last year...really looking forward to seeing what Peterson can do with that talent.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:30 pm 

This will get hits as the season breaks down.

ACC

Atlantic- FSU

Coastal-Pitt

Sleeper- Virginia

Champ- FSU

Big 10

East- Ohio State

West- Wisconsin

Sleeper- PSU

Champ-OSU

Big 12

Champ- OU

Sleeper- Kansas State

Pac 12

North- Stanford

South- USC

Sleeper- Oregon State

Champ-USC

SEC

East- South Carolina

West- Alabama

Sleeper- The State of Mississippi...Both teams will ambush teams this season. Both teams can play super defense.

Champ- The Old Ball coach and those mighty cocks

4 Team Bogus Playoff-

Playoffs- FSU OSU OU USC

National Champion-USC over FSU

I have the SEC out of the Championship series....I have 4 undefeated teams and a 2 loss SEC champion....Boom bitches ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:11 am 

Here is the thing with the boys in Happy Valley

The oline has been fucking decimated by the sanctions and there is zero depth and question marks across the board outside of Donovan Smith who is a hoss and will be asked to keep the blind side of Hack clean basically by himself.

There is talk of some position changes coming in summer camp and the key to the Nitts chances will come down to how this is handled.

That being said there is absurd amount of talent at the TE position and if Franklin has half a brain and I believe he does we will see heavy packages galore with Breneman and Jesse James inline with Kyle Carter split out wide with Geno Lewis opposite him at the flanker.

Zwinak, Belton and Lynch make up a helluva 3 headed monster in the backfield to boot.

This dude may very well be done with CFB post 2014 IMHO :

http://www.ydr.com/psu/ci_26183267/fran ... -end-jesse

He would look real fucking good in Black and Gold 8-)

On the defensive side of the ball there is talent up front in Olaniyan and Barnes at DE and look for JUCO transfer Tarrow Barney to be a force on the inside paired with the next great interior DL prospect in Austin Johnson. Again, depth is the concern.

CB Jordan Lucas and S / STAR Adrian Amos are legit ALL BIG TEN candidates.

Look for newcomers LB/ STAR Koa Farmer and freak WR Saed Blacknall to be difference makers as true frosh.

9 wins is doable with a good start on 8/30 over at Croke Park, Ireland vs UCF in what was to be the O'brien / O'Leary Irish Showdown.

Other "SLEEPER" teams I like are Houston and their high powered attack and the boys in Provo with Taysom Hill at the helm causing havoc with his legs and grit.

The Tar Heels finally have a true fit for Fedora's system in QB Marquise Williams and play an asinine schedule but have playmakers across the roster.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:12 am 

Fully agree on Jesse James, Zabo. The impact of the sanctions, as well. I think intelligent recruiting can minimize it going forward, as far as top-end talent, but they are really fucked with depth, and it shows late in games and late in seasons. Just for the name alone, James would be awesome in the B&G, btw.

FSU seems a lock, USC will stumble at least once, but so will UCLA and Oregon. That said, I like UCLA and Oregon to be the last teams standing in the PAC, with Oregon winning it. That puts at least one SEC team in my playoff. I think it will be Auburn this year. I'll take tOSU to win the Big Ten, Oklahoma to win the Big Twelve (Texas has talent, but I just can't back them. I know it's a new regime and all, and I like Strong, but I just can't yet.) So...

Round of 4

FSU
Oklahoma
tOSU
Auburn

Round of 2

Oklahoma
Auburn (kills me to put em over the Bucks, but it'll make Knife smile)

National Champs:

Auburn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:30 pm 

I like FSU to repeat, which means they won't.

My boys are a bit of an unknown this year. Our WR corp is unproven, but we have one of the top freshmen in Dupre. Our QB question is unsettled, but we have a kid with a ton of potential in Brandon Harris. Can he be more Jameis or Manziel? Or will he be Jordan Jefferson? Our running game will be deadly, especially with the addition of Fournette.

O line will be a top unit. Secondary will be very good. Front 7 will be good.

It'll be a ground and pound type team. That alone will be good enough for 8 wins. Whether we can surprise everyone and make a run to the final four is going to depend big time on Brandon Harris (who I fully expect to win the battle) and Les miles (who I don't trust at all). But we are poised for big things over the next 2-3 regardless of what happens this year (except injuries).

Opening against wisco is tough with so much young talent starting at key positions.

Final 4 = FSU, Alabama, Oklahoma, michigan state.