It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steelers first round pick will be...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:54 pm 

Ice wrote:
I'm starting to think we should just start picking Alabama players. They're mostly maxed-out, coached up what you see is what you get players. Less chance for Lake and Porter to ruin them.

and Tomlin..his fingerprints are on this defense more than anyone elses

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:32 pm 

True. I guess I'm partial to blaming position coaches for the lack of player development, and the coordinator and head coach for the more global failures.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:06 am 

I'm warming up to the LB from South Carolina State, Darius Leonard. Could be there on the 2nd day. Hopefully, end of the 2nd RND? I'm sure how he tests will determine where. MEAC defensive player of the year second year in a row. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:32 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
I'm warming up to the LB from South Carolina State, Darius Leonard. Could be there on the 2nd day. Hopefully, end of the 2nd RND? I'm sure how he tests will determine where. MEAC defensive player of the year second year in a row. Thoughts?

Be interesting to see how he tests out. I could see anywhere from mid-2nd to 4th at this point. Nice highlight reel, low LOC, starting to acquire some buzz already.

Speaking of which, Tremaine Edmunds seems to be already well out of range at 1.28.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:49 am 

What the mockers say and what happens on draft day is generally very different. For most of these drafts they do not look at historical data on what positions get picked the most. From 10 to 24 I will bet that 80% of those picks will be passrushers(EDGE and DT) and CBs. QB, OT and perhaps a WR will be scattered in there to fill out the other 20%( I would never take a WR in the 1st round but their mileage may vary).

I still like Esch on his football smarts. I would be quite happy with that pick. I am sure NE is looking at him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:02 am 

Ice wrote:
True. I guess I'm partial to blaming position coaches for the lack of player development, and the coordinator and head coach for the more global failures.

thats fair

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:19 am 

jebrick wrote:
What the mockers say and what happens on draft day is generally very different. For most of these drafts they do not look at historical data on what positions get picked the most. From 10 to 24 I will bet that 80% of those picks will be passrushers(EDGE and DT) and CBs. QB, OT and perhaps a WR will be scattered in there to fill out the other 20%( I would never take a WR in the 1st round but their mileage may vary).

I still like Esch on his football smarts. I would be quite happy with that pick. I am sure NE is looking at him.

I look at the height/weight/speed/explosiveness possibilities with Edmunds, and I could see him getting flexed to a couple of different positions, and that kind of versatility could definitely shoot him upwards of pick 28, sadly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:57 am 

If we could end up with Esch and Penny after the 1st 2 rounds id be happier than a pig in mud. Perhaps we could also do a sign and trade of Lev Bell and pick up another 1st

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:20 pm 

Ice wrote:
jebrick wrote:

I look at the height/weight/speed/explosiveness possibilities with Edmunds, and I could see him getting flexed to a couple of different positions, and that kind of versatility could definitely shoot him upwards of pick 28, sadly.

If he runs the 40 as what they are predicting ( 4.7-4.9) I will be stunned if he does not fall into the Steeler's range. His last recorded 40 is 4.8. His play recognition is like Shazier, which is to say poor. Shazier had 4.3 speed to make up for that false step. Unless he blows up the combine( like Shazier) I just do not see him taken in the teens.

for reference, Shazier was predicted to run between 4.4 and 4.5. he ran a 4.38

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:25 pm 

Fair enough. Underwear Olympics, for good or ill, can be decisive. Will definitely take a look at this Esch kid, as somebody coming in with football smarts, won't be as susceptible to the poor positional coaching we currently have on offer at LB.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next