It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pens v. Ducks
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:37 am 

One more come on!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:50 am 

Well that could have been a fun game but for that complete fucking mental lapse in the second period.

We are way too far into the season for that kind of period. That was total garbage. Points lost meanwhile our east rivals keep winning.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:05 am 

Orangesteel wrote:
And I’m sorry, but is it possible for Hagelin to be LESS effective on offense than he currently is? How does he not put that puck in. I mean, I’ve done that, but he seems to ALWAYS do that.

The game really changed on that sequence. Pens had to have that goal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:26 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
And I’m sorry, but is it possible for Hagelin to be LESS effective on offense than he currently is? How does he not put that puck in. I mean, I’ve done that, but he seems to ALWAYS do that.

Pretty sure letting up 3 (4? I lost count...) straight breakaways/odd-man breaks in the matter of a couple minutes had a lot more to do with losing it than that chance by Hagelin.

We're finally getting the goals we've been screaming for all season, but there's something off with the defense. Not just a matter of getting beat, something isn't right schematically. They're aggressively pinching, which is something our d-men have been doing since the first of the back to back cups, but the rest of the team isn't rotating as efficiently as they have in the past two seasons and we're leaving guys completely uncovered. I don't know if it's a lack of communication, lack of anticipation by the other guys on the ice, or what. But we're giving up WAY too many fast break chances off of it right now and it's been the difference in some of the more recent losses. I think we get that shored up to where we can keep the D aggressive but still keep them covered correctly, and we're largely back on track to where we need to be.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:52 pm 

What is going on with Sprong? The guy has disappeared after a pretty hot start.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:28 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
What is going on with Sprong? The guy has disappeared after a pretty hot start.

had at least two really good shots last night, plus a good setup or two. I think he's been alright.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:48 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

Pretty sure letting up 3 (4? I lost count...) straight breakaways/odd-man breaks in the matter of a couple minutes had a lot more to do with losing it than that chance by Hagelin.

We're finally getting the goals we've been screaming for all season, but there's something off with the defense. Not just a matter of getting beat, something isn't right schematically. They're aggressively pinching, which is something our d-men have been doing since the first of the back to back cups, but the rest of the team isn't rotating as efficiently as they have in the past two seasons and we're leaving guys completely uncovered. I don't know if it's a lack of communication, lack of anticipation by the other guys on the ice, or what. But we're giving up WAY too many fast break chances off of it right now and it's been the difference in some of the more recent losses. I think we get that shored up to where we can keep the D aggressive but still keep them covered correctly, and we're largely back on track to where we need to be.

I just think the complexion of the game would have changed a bit if Hags pots that goal. Pens start to get too aggressive...pinching when they shouldn't, etc

Agree though that something seems off. Wish I could say it's just the D or the entire 5 man units.

The 3rd line with Jake, it is what it is. If I'm the opposing coach I throw out my best unit vs our 3rd line. We need a 3C in the most dire of ways.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:30 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

It was troubling to watch those happen. I'm sure that going forward it will be a point of emphasis. The past 5 games the have seen the D men really getting involved in the OZ.
Because of that we have seen increased scoring but too many odd breaks. This is where the team is right now. Where do they find balance?
Obviously the opposition sees something because every team in during this streak has had their chances on the odd breaks.
I'm sure Sullivan and crew are going to get this worked out.
Also, I think overall our D corps is a tad bit slow for the current NHL.

The third line of Sheary, Kessel and Guentzel is soft defensively. DB is right that teams are going to focus on this line and try and exploit it.
I like Guentzel the forward but he is ill equipped to be an NHL centerman.
The Pens want a physical guy who kills penalties, wins FO's and is basically tough to play against. Guentzel really isn't any of those things. Not to fault the guy, he truly belongs on the wing top 6 or 9 not centering a line.

As far as Sprong goes he is finding his spots, the open kind. He fanned a few times last night and had one boomer that just missed the net. If he keeps getting that part of his game done Sid will find him and the goals will happen. I still think he is playing hard in both ends. If that part of his game changes then he will be demoted.

Last night was so bizarre. Pens won the first and third periods but their self inflicted troubles in the second doomed them. At one point I thought Sully might kill someone.

Rutherford-Please, please find a third line center. Please.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:24 pm 

One thing I like about Sprong and Simon is they have taken to heart the whole "play with your stick on the ice" when Sid is out there.