It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pens vs BJs
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:54 pm 

Looking at this team right now, not sure if bringing in another center is really needed, but the playoffs are different. I like where this team is at!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:56 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
ZAR!

Dude scores some dirty goals. Love it. He and Horny are gonna be studs in the playoffs.

Agree 100%! They both provide excellent balance to all of our skill forwards. They would be insane to send ZAR down.

Who goes down when Horny and Knuckle come back?
Looking forward to some insight.

Simon in a heartbeat if it’s a decision between ZAR and him - not even bat an eye.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:59 pm 

The bigger question- who are they going to obtain for C depth? Don’t need to screw up this chemistry.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:08 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
Simon in a heartbeat if it’s a decision between ZAR and him - not even bat an eye.

I mentioned Simon as a possibility but Simon can do more things than ZAR like play on any line and PK. It wasn't that long ago that Simon was the latest 'new pet' with Pens fans. Guys level off.

It's a good problem to have.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:24 pm 

Missed most of the game and only came in for the 3rd.

Score looking about like I expected, though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:25 pm 

Geuntzy just blew one by Bobrovsky. Torts head almost exploded

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:26 pm 

Have to be honest-when the Jackets cut it in half I was worried. I know this team has this aura about them. They don't get rattled but after playing basically 5 games in 8 days I was thinking they might not have enough in the tank to get to the end on top.
Big goal
5-2

Jarry has proven that our backup situation at tender is in good shape(along with DeSmith).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:34 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:

It wasn't easy.
They got to Bob early and he wasn't very good the rest of the game.
I'll say this, for a team that has played a lot of hockey recently the Pens don't look tired. Columbus pressed them on occasion and Jarry was very good.

Four days off now-is that good?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:50 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:

It wasn't easy.
I'll say this, for a team that has played a lot of hockey recently the Pens don't look tired. Columbus pressed them on occasion and Jarry was very good.

I could just never buy the tired excuse so many fans wanted to buy in before this season. I’ve done a lot of reading and talked to a lot of people about training for long term endurance, and there’s zero reason for me to believe two months wasn’t enough time to physically recover from a long season, barring a more significant injury. I can guarantee you every single guy who wasn’t healing from an injury had returned to their full offseason training regimens a few weeks after the season ended.

Now, the possibility of mental fatigue could be more plausible. Although, one, this team never seemed to have problems staying focused when it mattered. And two, I’m not sure that’s much that difference between two months of mental rest and the usual three.

But, whatever. Only thing that matters is that they’re playing lights out right now and fans are finally buying into the idea that they may just be able to threepeat after all. And that’s literally all I care about.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:59 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
The bigger question- who are they going to obtain for C depth? Don’t need to screw up this chemistry.

alancac98 wrote:
Looking at this team right now, not sure if bringing in another center is really needed, but the playoffs are different. I like where this team is at!

The 4th line center is Carter Rowney. He's often injured, terrible defensively, and doesn't have much offense to his game. Coach has been using Crosby/Malkin with a few of the 4th line wingers for quite awhile now. This line average less than 7 minutes a night. Up three goals, the Penguins thought it unnecessary to give much more ice time to Rowney or Reaves. The depth behind Rowney is a prospect who has had exactly 0 games of NHL experience. Center depth is a huge need. You can get center depth and retool the 4th line without ruining the chemistry of the lines that are actually working. The 4th line is an absolute tire fire now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:01 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:

I mentioned Simon as a possibility but Simon can do more things than ZAR like play on any line and PK. It wasn't that long ago that Simon was the latest 'new pet' with Pens fans. Guys level off.

Simon has been jerked around the lineup a lot. As you said, he does a lot of things very well, and I think Crosby prefers him on that line. Sid, Sheary, and Simon was really clicking. Without a proper 4th line and with ZAR streaking, it's hard to find Simon ice time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:54 pm 

1st place in the Metro! (With the usual disclaimer that we’ve played more games)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:35 am 

Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:

alancac98 wrote:

The 4th line center is Carter Rowney. He's often injured, terrible defensively, and doesn't have much offense to his game. Coach has been using Crosby/Malkin with a few of the 4th line wingers for quite awhile now. This line average less than 7 minutes a night. Up three goals, the Penguins thought it unnecessary to give much more ice time to Rowney or Reaves. The depth behind Rowney is a prospect who has had exactly 0 games of NHL experience. Center depth is a huge need. You can get center depth and retool the 4th line without ruining the chemistry of the lines that are actually working. The 4th line is an absolute tire fire now.

I said Cullen in an earlier post. I think he would fit based on last 2 years. He made a mistake leaving in the first place .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:38 am 

fractalsteel wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:

Simon has been jerked around the lineup a lot. As you said, he does a lot of things very well, and I think Crosby prefers him on that line. Sid, Sheary, and Simon was really clicking. Without a proper 4th line and with ZAR streaking, it's hard to find Simon ice time.

Simon and ZAR are a bit different- to me ZAR is a better fit for the Offs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:43 am 

With Hornqvist out, ZAR's style has been just what the doctor ordered. Add to it that he's an asset basically acquired for nothing, and you start to understand why this Pens management team has won the last two Cups.

First place after the way this season has gone is certainly a nice thing to see.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:48 am 

Suwanee88 wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:

alancac98 wrote:

I said Cullen in an earlier post. I think he would fit based on last 2 years. He made a mistake leaving in the first place .

That was more his wife's decision due to the kids.

I think if you asked him, he probably wanted to stay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:53 am 

fractalsteel wrote:

It wasn't easy.

I could just never buy the tired excuse so many fans wanted to buy in before this season. I’ve done a lot of reading and talked to a lot of people about training for long term endurance, and there’s zero reason for me to believe two months wasn’t enough time to physically recover from a long season, barring a more significant injury. I can guarantee you every single guy who wasn’t healing from an injury had returned to their full offseason training regimens a few weeks after the season ended.

Now, the possibility of mental fatigue could be more plausible. Although, one, this team never seemed to have problems staying focused when it mattered. And two, I’m not sure that’s much that difference between two months of mental rest and the usual three.

But, whatever. Only thing that matters is that they’re playing lights out right now and fans are finally buying into the idea that they may just be able to threepeat after all. And that’s literally all I care about.

I'm a bit skeptical of young professional athletes coming into the season fatigued.
I was alluding to what Sullivan said last week and reiterated last night about the week of tough hockey. First they were playing a lot of games in a weeks span. The Pens faced some challenging teams in the week such as a physical team in LA-go look at the hit totals. They got a fast skilled team Saturday night in Toronto and then had to move four hours away the next day to play in a hostile arena against a team that has become a thorn in their side.
I was amazed that they came out last night and put it to Columbus so early. Like I said earlier in the thread, they got to Bob early and he caved.
Now they have four days off which is forever in the NHL. I hope it doesn't cut into their mojo they have going right now.

As far as the three peat goes-I think about how cool it would be if it happens. I think it can happen if things go their way.
Getting off to a horrid start put a damper on that for me.
I know that it is how you finish, not how you start but when you throw game after game away(IMO due to effort) the lost points do become important.
It kind of forces you to be better or great for a long stretch to get back into it. Just because you are the 2X defending champs doesn't mean you can get there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:22 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
Simon and ZAR are a bit different- to me ZAR is a better fit for the Offs.

I counter and say that Simon is a better fit for what the Pens offense is. First off, the Birdies are an up the ice team that likes to own OZ time. They aren't the kind of team that wants to be structured and take their time getting up ice.
Simon is more skilled in that area than ZAR. ZAR is currently working with a skating coach because of two things: he isn't the best skater out there and his speed is average at best. Simon is a much better skater.
Simon also has better passing skills than ZAR and on this team that is crucial. Simon can also create on his own.

I'll give that ZAR is a presence around the net and has very good hands but he will never be the kind of guy that can get to one end of the rink to the other in a flash nor be a setup player.

The comparison of ZAR to Hornqvist is fair but not complete. Horny is a pest ALL over the ice. The kind of guy that gets under the skin of his opponent. Horny is can be physical as well.
I haven't seen that from ZAR so far.

And lastly, before we anoint ZAR to the next generation of excellent forwards for the Pens remember he has scored 3 goals in the NHL.