It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Offseason Thread 2018
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:39 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
Dumo wasn't organic, we got him in a trade. Letang didn't fall into the decade category either. If I remember correctly the Pens had to choose b/n Gogo and Letang for reasons I'm not sure of.

I got the gist of the trade Chi/Ar for cap space but the other players?

We got Dumo in a trade from Carolina, but he had never really played for Carolina (he was still at Boston College when Carolina had his rights, they signed him to an entry level contract after he left BC, but was traded to us a month after, before ever playing in Carolina's system), then spent almost 2 years at WBS before playing for the Pens.

So, I'd personally count that as "organic".

The past decade the Pens have done poorly building a D corp from drafting them to developing them. If you look at the current roster that goes for most of it as well.
We hit on Crosby, Malkin, and Letang. Throw Fleury in there as well. Might be able to say the same thing about Guentzel in a few years.
Sure, the Pens developed Dumo and they got that part of it right but they have been terrible aside from him grooming young d men brought up through their system.

I guess it really doesn't matter because the window is what it is and we have the pieces to another cup before it is shut. After 87/71 fade away it most likely is going to be barren in the Pens world.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:38 am 

fractalsteel wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
Dumo wasn't organic, we got him in a trade. Letang didn't fall into the decade category either. If I remember correctly the Pens had to choose b/n Gogo and Letang for reasons I'm not sure of.

I got the gist of the trade Chi/Ar for cap space but the other players?

We got Dumo in a trade from Carolina, but he had never really played for Carolina (he was still at Boston College when Carolina had his rights, they signed him to an entry level contract after he left BC, but was traded to us a month after, before ever playing in Carolina's system), then spent almost 2 years at WBS before playing for the Pens.

So, I'd personally count that as "organic".

The past decade the Pens have done poorly building a D corp from drafting them to developing them. If you look at the current roster that goes for most of it as well.
We hit on Crosby, Malkin, and Letang. Throw Fleury in there as well. Might be able to say the same thing about Guentzel in a few years.
Sure, the Pens developed Dumo and they got that part of it right but they have been terrible aside from him grooming young d men brought up through their system.

I guess it really doesn't matter because the window is what it is and we have the pieces to another cup before it is shut. After 87/71 fade away it most likely is going to be barren in the Pens world.

Definitely a non-issue if looking at the past. If the Penguins actually had a majority of their draft picks and didn't win three cups, then I guess there'd be a point. If anything, the Penguins making something out of nothing with defensemen has actually been a bit of an amazing feat.

The Penguins have "revitalized" or pushed the potential of more than enough defenders in the NHL to make their drafting a nonfactor. It's actually a pretty big list. Niskanen, Oleksiak (maybe), Daley, Schultz, Cole come off the top of my head. Three of those were major reasons why the team won the cup twice. They were also able to sign a few guys to help them along in the years between Cups. Guys like Paul Martin come to mind. The Penguins have had several of their own drafted players develop into talented NHL defensemen during Crosby's tenure that they later traded for other assets. Robert Bortuzzo has become a reliable NHL player. He was traded for Ian Cole, who helped the team win two cups. Ben Lovejoy was a bottom pairing guy who played his best hockey of his career in the first of back-to-back Cups. If you recall, he was with the Ducks for two years before getting traded back to Pittsburgh for Simon Despres, easily a top 4 defender drafted by the Penguins if not for injury. In retrospect, while still a bad trade, what happened happened, and I wouldn't take back that Cup.

Most forget Ryan Whitney, another player the Penguins drafted and developed. Yes, he was the fifth overall pick, and I guess one could consider him a "bust" at the position, but not really. It was a very, very weak class. Of the 291 players drafted, only 7 became All Stars. That list of 7 isnt too impressive either: Rick Nash, Keith, Jay Bouwmeester, Alex Semin, Joffrey Lupul, Cam Ward, Frans Nielsen. Whoop de doo. Duncan Keith is the best player from that draft (#54 overall). Whitney was traded to Anaheim for Chris Kunitz and Eric Tangradi. This was an absolutely outstanding trade. If Kunitz were drafted in 2002, he'd easily be a top 3 pick behind Keith and Nash. This was still the Patrick era. Good job by Shero to recognize the value of the more mobile Dmen because he exploited Anaheim in this deal. The point being, the Penguins used their assets to get better. It should be mentioned that Whitney played eight seasons, and he was an NHL caliber play during those years, and I feel like he would have been a much better player had he not suffered some pretty brutal injuries. He finished top 15 in Norris voting in his second year with the Penguins. That ankle injury forced him to retire at 30.

I see someone else mentioned Goligoski and how he was traded for James Neal.

There were also some Penguins defensemen who had success but did not yield any sort of valuable return because the team let them walk instead of trade them during the deadline or trade their rights during the offseason. Brooks Orpik, drafted by the team, is the one that comes to mind, but Niskanen (trade) was also allowed to play out his contract without any value added in return. Same goes for Rob Scuderi, who signed a lucrative deal with the Kings during the offseason after Crosby's first Cup. I think Ron Hainsey played well for Carolina, but there's no doubt he got much more money from Toronto than he would have otherwise because of his performance with the Penguins.

This got me a bit curious about the draft picks in and out for the Penguins. I went back to the point where I felt the Penguins really felt like they had a chance of winning the cup, 2008. Here's what I found.

Draft picks traded
2008 1st rd pick (#29; Roman Josi pick 38, Slava Voynov pick 32) (Hossa trade)
2008 2nd rd pick (#60; Toronto picked current Penguin Jimmy Hayes with this pick) (Hal Gill trade)
2009 2nd rd pick (#91) (Guerin trade)
2009 5th rd pick (#150) (Gill)
2009 7th rd pick (#210) (draft pick trade)
2010 2nd rd pick (#50) (Jordan Leopold trade)
2010 7th rd pick (#200) (draft pick trade)
2011 3rd rd pick (#83) (Dan Hamhuis rights)
2011 4th rd pick (#113; ended up being Tobias Rieder, a solid player) (Mathieu Garon trade)
2011 7th rd pick (#203; became Ryan Dzingel) (Kovalev trade)
2012 7th rd pick (Tomas Vokoun trade)
2013 1st rd pick (Iginla)
2013 5th rd pick (Morrow for Morrow trade)
2014 3rd rd pick (Lee Stempniak trade)
2014 5th rd pick (Marcel Goc trade)
2015 1st rd pick (David Perron trade)
2015 3rd rd pick (Goc again)
2015 4th rd pick (Winnik trade)
2016 1st rd pick (Kessel)
2016 2nd rd pick (Winnik. Insanity)
2016 3rd rd pick (Kessel)
2016 3rd rd pick (Schultz)
2016 7th rd pick (Bortuzzo/Cole swap)
2017 1st rd pick (Ryan fucking Reaves)
2017 2nd rd pick (Hainsey)
2017 4th rd pick (Fehr salary dump)
2018 1st rd pick (Brassard)
2018 3rd rd pick (Sheahan/Wilson)
2018 4th rd pick (Payment to TB for workaround with Philly contract)
2019 3rd rd pick (Brassard)
2019 4th rd pick (Oleksiak)
2019 6th rd pick (Archibald trade)
2020 2nd rd pick (Fleury to Vegas guarantee)

Draft picks acquired
2009 3rd rd pick (Malone traded to TB)
2009 5th rd pick (Michael Sersen [lol, who?] traded to TB)
2010 6th rd pick (#152) (Chris Peluso trade [who??])
2011 7th rd pick (#208; turned into Scott Wilson)
2012 1st rd pick (#8 Derrick Pouliot; vomit!)
2012 3rd rd pick (#81 Oskar Sundqvist)
2012 4th rd pick (Mark Letestu trade)
2013 2nd rd pick (Tyler Kennedy)
2013 3rd rd pick (Morrow for Morrow trade)
2013 7th rd pick (Eric Tangradi trade)
2014 5th rd pick (Ben Lovejoy trade)
2016 2nd rd pick (Sutter traded in a fleecing. Womp womp.)
2016 3rd rd pick (Bennett to NJ)
2017 2nd rd pick (Reaves traded to PITT)
2018 3rd rd pick (Brassard)
2018 4th rd pick (Pouilot to VAN)
2018 5th rd pick (Sheahan/Wilson swap)

By my math, that's 33 draft picks shipped out in 10 years with only 17 coming back. I'm counting 6 of 10 possible first rounders traded too. Combine that with the fact that the Penguins have been drafting at the bottom of the round mostly, it really shows how skilled the staff was in finding other avenues for success and by squeezing all they could out of guys they drafted in the mid and late rounds like Rust, Guentzel, Wilson, etc. Free agent signing Conor Sheary also included in there.

Imagine a Steelers draft history without 6 of 10 1st round picks the last 10 years. It wouldn't be a pretty team. See ya Pouncey, Heyward, Decastro, Shazier, etc. The team wouldn't look good ignoring the factor that the Penguins/Steelers got value for those picks (Kessel, Hossa, Perron, etc.). If Shero/Rutherford weren't mostly wonderful at trading, this team would have been buried to hell, as they flipped the traded players over and over in a cycle and usually didn't lose too much value. Think how Goligoski became Neal became Hornqvist. Think how Staal became Sutter+parts(Dumo) became Bonino+parts. Funny enough, we all know that Shero/Rutherford were the duo in that original trade. Shero made a shit ton of mistakes. Look at who Crosby had to play with the majority of his career. Man, he was good at trading though.That was his strength as a GM, and he used that strength. One of those 1,000 ways to skin a cat things.

Last edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan on Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:27 am 

Great post Hacksaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:51 pm 

As a side, it should also be said that we're comparing two totally different scouting philosophies and staffs here, as well as two totally different minor league systems.

Shero wouldn't be caught dead drafting someone like Sprong in 2009. Shero made a concerted effort to replenish draft picks around 2012, but he really just hatcheted them the rest of the time, except for a brief period where he kept his first round picks. Most of his fruit beared after he was fired.

Rutherford is totally butchering the Penguins draft picks, dispensing them to other teams like candy, but at the same time, his drafts have a much sounder philosophy under Patrick Allvin and crew. Draft players with speed, who come from anywhere, and who are productive with some talented traits.

It'll be interesting to see how the two GMs compare when Rutherford's tenure with the team ends.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:14 pm 

Another thing on Dumo.

When he was traded to Pittsburgh, the Penguins staff most certainly a) had scouting reports on him b) actively scouted him before the trade. The player then developed under the Penguins. Yes, you can call Dumo an organically developed player by the Penguins. It's mostly the same process with some changes in staff between the amateur and pro scouts. They all work together, and they especially would have worked together when Shero and Rutherford were working through the Staal trade. If you can't call Dumo a developed player because the player wasn't drafted by the team, then by that logic, I can take credit for any and all the players drafted with first round picks that were traded by Pittsburgh because the rights to that pick were originally the Penguins.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:04 pm 

Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
As a side, it should also be said that we're comparing two totally different scouting philosophies and staffs here, as well as two totally different minor league systems.

Shero wouldn't be caught dead drafting someone like Sprong in 2009. Shero made a concerted effort to replenish draft picks around 2012, but he really just hatcheted them the rest of the time, except for a brief period where he kept his first round picks. Most of his fruit beared after he was fired.

Rutherford is totally butchering the Penguins draft picks, dispensing them to other teams like candy, but at the same time, his drafts have a much sounder philosophy under Patrick Allvin and crew. Draft players with speed, who come from anywhere, and who are productive with some talented traits.

It'll be interesting to see how the two GMs compare when Rutherford's tenure with the team ends.

Good point. Shero had a infatuation with college guys. Along with any puck moving defenseman he could get his hands on; with the philosophy of "we'll flip these dmen for forward since dmen are more valuable"

Well the problem is they didn't develop them (or enough of them) to have that pipeline clogged where other teams saw significant potential in the youngesters. Then Shero doubled down by signing/acquiring old dman to block their development (Douglas Murray/Eaton)! Really stepping on his dick with his overall plan.

New regime comes in and finally Shero's college kids are ready to fill the depth roles the Pens desperately needed. Yes you can say and give Shero credit, but the contracts he was giving out didn't align with his drafting philosophy. You have to wonder how much he and Bylsma butted heads in terms of the playing time and opportunities given out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:00 pm 

Another thing on Dumo.

When he was traded to Pittsburgh, the Penguins staff most certainly a) had scouting reports on him b) actively scouted him before the trade. The player then developed under the Penguins. Yes, you can call Dumo an organically developed player by the Penguins. It's mostly the same process with some changes in staff between the amateur and pro scouts. They all work together, and they especially would have worked together when Shero and Rutherford were working through the Staal trade. If you can't call Dumo a developed player because the player wasn't drafted by the team, then by that logic, I can take credit for any and all the players drafted with first round picks that were traded by Pittsburgh because the rights to that pick were originally the Penguins.

Never said Dumo wasn't developed by the Pens.
By being organic I mean being drafted and developed by the organization. Maybe 'organic' is not the right word to use.
What I said is that the Pens, for the past decade haven't done a good job of drafting D men and developing those drafted pieces.
You made a great point about acquiring talent on the blue line through trades and how they got the right pieces at the correct time.
The reclamation of a few of them has been outstanding and maybe Gonchar gets some credit. I don't know if that is the case so I'll leave it to others to fill us in on that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:49 pm 

Jacques Martin probably deserves some credit, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:16 pm 

Penguins signed Derek Grant to a 1 yr contract today.

Wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team. He's taken limited faceoffs throughout his career, but he's at 53%. Really blossomed a bit and show a scoring touch (18.5% shooting will go way down). What's most impressive is that when Ryan Getzlaf and Ryan Kessler went down last year, Grant was the team's 1C for awhile. He didn't embarrass himself, either. I couldn't imagine saying the same about Rowney. The Ducks made a bad move with replacing Grant with Rowney, especially at that term.

Some are conjecturing this could mean a trade for Pitt. I think it's just another solid depth signing, something they lacked last year. Remember that Greg McKegg and Carter Rowney were the starting 3C and 4C opening night last year. Grant would be the 6th C.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:16 am 

Honestly, I don't know much about the player. Saw that he be used on PK and PP so that really adds to the depth. Have to find a replacement for Sully's puppy Kuhnackel.

Does this mean that Brassard to wing is going to be what we see early in the season?

Have to love the depth we have now at C.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:07 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
Honestly, I don't know much about the player. Saw that he be used on PK and PP so that really adds to the depth. Have to find a replacement for Sully's puppy Kuhnackel.

Does this mean that Brassard to wing is going to be what we see early in the season?

Have to love the depth we have now at C.

I do think it allows for the flexibility for Brass to be used at W occasionally.

Plus I think this is a "test drive" for the Pens to see what Grant brings. If they like what they see for this year, they'll probably bring him back essentially as Cullen's replacement (assuming Cullen retires).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:16 pm 

Hacksaw, congratulations on being the first and last human ever to use the words "Carter Rowney" and "number one center" in the same sentence.

That said, yeah, the center and, really, overall forward depth and flexibility on paper is some of the best I've seen.

Now, let's see how the defensive experiment works out, not to mention, can Matt Murray bounce back, and can he handle the pressure of being "the guy" with no MAF backing him up.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:28 pm 

Human bag of garbage Tom Wilson, 6 years, 5.17 million per, nmtc for the final four years. And people complained about Phil's salary.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:35 am 

Ice wrote:
Human bag of garbage Tom Wilson, 6 years, 5.17 million per, nmtc for the final four years. And people complained about Phil's salary.

Hilarious.

They also resigned Brooks Orpik to come back :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:12 am 

In their defense, The Traffic Cone is making considerably less than his previous, ridiculous contract. #capcircumvention

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:18 pm 

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/ ... ed/1/94158

I doubt this happens, because Letang is still here, but it would make for some power play.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:12 am 

Bling Collector Ben wrote:
https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Rumor-Karlsson-to-Pitt-Kessel-Heading-to-Vegas-e3--Chart-Fully-Updated/1/94158

I doubt this happens, because Letang is still here, but it would make for some power play.

I'm not seeing that rumor so much as even hinted at literally anywhere else. So I'd say that's pretty bogus.

But if it were true, I think I'd have to see who was was involved in it before making a determination.

I think Karlsson is overrated, but he's still good enough to improve our defensive and puck moving capabilities. Which is a good thing as I'm not convinced Jack Johnson is going to improve our defense enough all by himself, and especially if Letang doesn't rebound off an abysmal year.

However, losing The Thrill would be a pretty big hit to our offense. Roster-wise, if they move Brassard to wing like they've indicated they will and do some shuffling, maybe it works, but I think that's a huge, huge gamble. You don't know if Brassard works at wing and he was never a particularly prolific scorer anyways. Although that does make Sprong moving up a little more culpable as you don't have to juggle two defensive liabilities.

My final answer....blah.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:38 am 

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Rumor-Karlsson-to-Pitt-Kessel-Heading-to-Vegas-e3--Chart-Fully-Updated/1/94158

I'm not seeing that rumor so much as even hinted at literally anywhere else. So I'd say that's pretty bogus.

But if it were true, I think I'd have to see who was was involved in it before making a determination.

I think Karlsson is overrated, but he's still good enough to improve our defensive and puck moving capabilities. Which is a good thing as I'm not convinced Jack Johnson is going to improve our defense enough all by himself, and especially if Letang doesn't rebound off an abysmal year.

However, losing The Thrill would be a pretty big hit to our offense. Roster-wise, if they move Brassard to wing like they've indicated they will and do some shuffling, maybe it works, but I think that's a huge, huge gamble. You don't know if Brassard works at wing and he was never a particularly prolific scorer anyways. Although that does make Sprong moving up a little more culpable as you don't have to juggle two defensive liabilities.

My final answer....blah.

Agree that I don't put much stock in this rumor

But I think Sully hates Phil, not surprising since most coaches don't like guys who coast. But Phil has proven he turns it on when the chips are down. JR maybe feels compelled to make is coach happy? Idk trading Phil would be monumentally stupid, dude produces

I think Letang could be traded, but not for Karlsson. If Letang goes it'd be for a lower level Dman...a #2 guy and then a decent F

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:24 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:

My final answer....blah.

Agree that I don't put much stock in this rumor

But I think Sully hates Phil, not surprising since most coaches don't like guys who coast. But Phil has proven he turns it on when the chips are down. JR maybe feels compelled to make is coach happy? Idk trading Phil would be monumentally stupid, dude produces

I think Letang could be traded, but not for Karlsson. If Letang goes it'd be for a lower level Dman...a #2 guy and then a decent F

I don't see it happening. Remember that not only did Letang disappoint last year but Schultz's numbers and play were down compared to the year before. I think the brain trust is going to give them another year to rebound and see if Johnson improves the blue line.

If JR moves Kessel because Sully hates him, IMO that would be unwise, very much so. Then again if Sprong is on the big club this year(and JR said it is likely) that makes two players that Sully has little use for. Could be very interesting season.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:32 pm 

I think Karlsson is overrated

Does not compute.

Outside of Sid, McDavid, and maybe Geno, there is no one better. He is incomparable in this regard as a defensemen. It's by a lot.

There wasn't a better player in this series. On 1 foot.

https://youtu.be/0jVGR7cljUI?t=456

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:44 pm 

Jeff Skinner traded for a bag of pucks. Shame the Penguins didn't get in on that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:57 pm 

Jeff Skinner traded for a bag of pucks. Shame the Penguins didn't get in on that.

Carolina didn't get shit back, but they did get Pu.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:43 am 

Yea but it would have been difficult to fit Skinner under the cap. Car seemed to not be interested in getting a player/contract back. Weird trade but guess they're still a budget team

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:42 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:

Yea but it would have been difficult to fit Skinner under the cap. Car seemed to not be interested in getting a player/contract back. Weird trade but guess they're still a budget team

From what I heard after the fact is he wanted to be close to home in Canada, and Buffalo I guess was close enough. Apparently he's already working on an extension with them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:04 pm 

Sid and Company have, in large part, returned to the South Side! Pittsburgh sports fans numb from the Pirates and kissing your sister, rejoice! Time to start a new thread for camp, etc?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next