It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps 10-4-18
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:17 pm 

Crosby to Letang to Malkin...where have I seen that before?

Nor sure it is enough.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:38 pm 

Pens are SLOP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:38 pm 

Wow...called that one, fractal.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:56 pm 

Haha FUCK YOU KUZNETSOV!!!

Do your stupid bird flap dance back to DC you douchebag.

Pens win 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:59 pm 

Letang still on pace for 0 +/-!

And hey, it wasn't a tie!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:02 pm 

Just a great way to start the season. You can’t have a lapse against the Caps or you will pay (as we saw), but great work by Sid to draw the penalty in OT and the ripper magoo by Tanger

Why was the Oshie goal allowed if the head ref called it no goal on the ice?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:12 pm 

Letang was awesone.

The third line with Brassard, Rust, and Simon was amazing. Brassard is who I thought he was.

I thought Rust, Cullen, and Sheahan was a great line to use after penalties. I was terribly confused as to why, after Malkin gave away Oshie's first goal, Sullivan went right back to the second line. "I think we could use them (C-S-R) as a shutdown pairing" - Sullivan, post-game conference. Well then use them there!

The second line produced the first goal. All the "bad" they may have done was isolated to individual players making mistakes. I thought they were OK besides that. Only one game.

Sloppy defense from the same culprits in this one. Everyone wasn't thinking and throwing around terrible turnovers and errant passes. Oleksiak was terrible in the D zone. Olli was straight terrible. The forwards were terrible defensively. This same shit was happening last year. The Capitals are in their heads in the D zone. They're so dangerous there too. I am TIRED of watching the Penguins play this team. They need to get some form of consistency in goal and defensively. Having their first game against such an intense rival is not the best way to start the season.

Murray played like Meltdown Fleury, speaking of, Meltdown Fleury has given up 5 goals on 16 shots at home against Philly.

The Capitals are so good at making the most of their scoring chances. This game is 6-2 Penguins if they a) cut down the stupid fucking mistakes and turnovers and b) Murray made a damn save.

Why is Sprong, a sniper, playing like a grinder?
The Caps had a solid 10 minutes of strong hockey. 50+ other minutes, the Penguins were clearly the rested and better team.

If Guentzel scored on Sid's sick pass, that's automatically the goal of the year.

Last edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:27 pm 

Agreed with everything. Caps are so skilled on the puck; it seems like their top 9 forwards are all tremendous puck handlers.

One game in but I really like what I saw from our 3rd and 4th lines. If we can sure up the defense (it’s one thing to play bad defense, it’s another to turn the puck over at the clip the pens were tonight), then this is a legit team.

Murray was awful. Like, terrible. Luckily Holtby was one worse.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:31 am 

From inside the arena, I thought it was a great first game.

Some of our biggest question marks got started off on the right foot.

Brassard getting on the score sheet early. I really felt last season was a fluke for him and expected better this season. It’s still insanely early, obviously, but he already looks way better.

Letang is looking better. He may not be Norris caliber, and probably never will be again, but he looked much more confident with the puck in one game than he did most of all last season. I often felt like I knew who was carrying the puck tonight long before I noticed the number on the back of the sweater. And I could tell when letang had it.

I see people in this thread talking about defensive breakdowns. I didn’t have the benefit of as many relays as you guys did, but I really felt many of those goals were on Murray. Maybe I’ll change my mind when I wake up tomorrow and watch the slow motion replays with a sober mind. But I will say the crowd didn’t disagree with me.

Greatest part? Every time we let up another bad goal...we answered. Never let the game get away from us, never stopped driving. We can figure the other details as we go...but this is the biggest part.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:34 am 

Also want to add a comment about Crosby’s leadership. After damn near every goal against, Crosby was the first guy skating back and giving Murray a tap on the pads and putting a few words of encouragement in his ear.

He knew Murray was having a bad game, but also knew there was a bigger picture. I love watching real leadership other than “You’re playing bad so I’m going to scream at you” leadership.

One works. One only gives the impression of working.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:59 am 

Sweet that you went to the game. I was in the Burgh all of last week and missed going to a Pens game by just a few days. Damn.

And to think we almost went down to Heinz and scalped tickets to the Ravens debacle. We made the right call and watched the game with $3 Yeunglings at a pub in the North Hills.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:32 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Also want to add a comment about Crosby’s leadership. After damn near every goal against, Crosby was the first guy skating back and giving Murray a tap on the pads and putting a few words of encouragement in his ear.

You see that aspect of Crosby live, not so much on TV. I was at a Pens/Devils game where Fleury had a bad night. I swear Sid tapped his pads forty times that night.
Yeah, I don't see 87 as the kind of captain that gets in a teammates face. Now, after that horrendous Malkin TO that led to the Oshie goal you have to wonder what said on the bench when 71 returned there.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:43 pm 

Sully is pretty good at getting in the face.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:01 pm 

Ice wrote:
Sully is pretty good at getting in the face.

I loved seeing Sully go ballistic after the second Oshie goal. Dude just strikes me as incredibly smart, incredibly effective.

Grabbed at Pens license plate frame in the Pittsburgh airport. Going on my car today.