It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:22 pm 

Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
So, it's come to this.

A few years ago the Lightning very clearly knew it just wasn't going to happen. What did they do? They traded some roster players, retooled, and now here they are. They're primed and ready to go on another big run.

I look at the Penguins roster, and it's on a turd level that reminds me of 2014. Or even the 2006 team with washed up stars (sans Mario), a young Sid, and a bunch of trash.

Here are some things I'd do immediately and in the near future.

1. Play Daniel Sprong in the top 6.

What does the organization have to lose by doing this? About 7 of their last 8 games? See what you have in this guy. If you don't have anything, you'll probably know by then. He's the only obviously talented player on the roster. Let's see him. I'd fire Sullivan tomorrow if I could based on this bit of mental retardation. It's more likely than not that Sprong isn't anything special, but to play chodes like Wilson over him...

2. Trade Riley Sheahan; have Teddy Blueger take his place.

Addition by subtraction. A fifth round pick would be fine. I'd take less. What a blessing he wasn't signed long term. Holy shit. He's been terrible offensively and defensively.

3. Trade one of the defensemen. Even better, trade at least 3 of them.

Jack Johnson is a beta. I'm done with Maatta. Shoot Oleksiak into space.

I'd do so much more.

Agree with most of what you said.

Sprong is in Sully's doghouse and you don't ever come out. See Ian Cole and Ryan Reaves for examples.

Unsure what's up w/ Sheahan. Last year he played pretty well...unsure what happened to him this year. He needs to be sat.

The defense actually isn't as horrible as we're making it out to be. Johnson seems to be ok with letang babysitting him. Olek and Maata seem to be serviceable. Not saying it's the best group but they are holding the fort. If the offense (secondary players) would score more, we'd be ok

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:30 pm 

12. Okay, some other stuff: sounds like Pittsburgh tried to get its hands on Brandon Montour from Anaheim. Don’t think the Ducks are interested. He’s a talented guy. Someone who does fit their profile? Jakob Silfverberg, a pending UFA. Entering Saturday’s game in Ottawa, 41 of the Penguins’ 46 goals from forwards came out of their top six.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31- ... -playoffs/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:47 pm 

He'd be a really strong addition, especially if you can move out a crap defender or three in other deals.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:36 pm 

Really hard to pinpoint goaltending as a major issue when the team is just a tire fire in all three zones. This is a pretty heavy schematic problem, and the more it happens, the more I just want the coaching staff gone. I proposed a soft reset this year, which would include a pretty nice top-10 or so draft pick, but I'm not sure much will change next year with personnel on the ice and behind the bench. If that's the case, then really nothing much will change with game results. Crosby can only carry the team to victories so much, and minus a goal or two from the bottom 6, nothing has really changed from two or three weeks ago. This team is more skilled than the heavy, slower teams, but they don't think the game well, especially the low-IQ defense, and when they have to go up against teams with speed, that's when they get burned.

The more JR makes moves, the more it just seems like coincidence that his great moves worked so well. He got Daley because his industry buddy talked him up and he always kinda wanted Daley. Seems kind of random. For every Carl Hagelin, there's a Ryan Reaves. He hired Mike Johnston. Matt Hunwick was signed. Jack Johnson.

The scariest thing is how ineffective Brassard has been when asked to step up. Did the Penguins not foresee his talent not gelling with Kessel? What did they do to give him complementary wingers? To me, Brassard was a guy that I hoped his talent would just overcome any "fit" problems. That's OK for a fan to do. It's not OK for a general manager to do. They should have asked themselves about the traits that made a guy like Bonino so effective at that spot.

Then there's the obvious. Again, Jack Johnson. Signing Rust to an extension. Instead of bringing up call-ups, using veterans all the time. Really simple management/coaching decisions that would make the team better in the long run, this staff isn't doing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:42 pm 

Matt Murray is back practicing. Guess his *MASSIVE air quotes* "lower body injury" is better.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:56 pm 

Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
Really hard to pinpoint goaltending as a major issue when the team is just a tire fire in all three zones. This is a pretty heavy schematic problem, and the more it happens, the more I just want the coaching staff gone. I proposed a soft reset this year, which would include a pretty nice top-10 or so draft pick, but I'm not sure much will change next year with personnel on the ice and behind the bench. If that's the case, then really nothing much will change with game results. Crosby can only carry the team to victories so much, and minus a goal or two from the bottom 6, nothing has really changed from two or three weeks ago. This team is more skilled than the heavy, slower teams, but they don't think the game well, especially the low-IQ defense, and when they have to go up against teams with speed, that's when they get burned.

The more JR makes moves, the more it just seems like coincidence that his great moves worked so well. He got Daley because his industry buddy talked him up and he always kinda wanted Daley. Seems kind of random. For every Carl Hagelin, there's a Ryan Reaves. He hired Mike Johnston. Matt Hunwick was signed. Jack Johnson.

The scariest thing is how ineffective Brassard has been when asked to step up. Did the Penguins not foresee his talent not gelling with Kessel? What did they do to give him complementary wingers? To me, Brassard was a guy that I hoped his talent would just overcome any "fit" problems. That's OK for a fan to do. It's not OK for a general manager to do. They should have asked themselves about the traits that made a guy like Bonino so effective at that spot.

Then there's the obvious. Again, Jack Johnson. Signing Rust to an extension. Instead of bringing up call-ups, using veterans all the time. Really simple management/coaching decisions that would make the team better in the long run, this staff isn't doing.

Eh I'm not going to rag on the Brassard trade- by all accounts he seemed to be a good fit for this team's style. Some players just don't fit the system no matter how much due diligence you uncover. On paper it was brilliant

Not going to rip the Rust thing too much because they thought he could replace Sheary's offense plus do the gritty stuff. Also not going to rag on the Hunwick thing because he seemed to fit like a glove until he got his brain bashed

Reaves and JJ though...wow yea those were baaaad signings where everyone and their brother immediately went "Huh?"

And there was ZERO reason to banish Cole and now Sprong. I mean NONE. This was pure ego by Sully and I'm hating him more and more as time passes.
He's got the same arrogance that Bylsma had

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:15 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Matt Murray is back practicing. Guess his *MASSIVE air quotes* "lower body injury" is better.

to be fair, your balls are "lower body"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:43 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Louis Lipps Service wrote:

to be fair, your balls are "lower body"

Not if they haven't dropped yet.