It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pens vs Devils 11-5-18
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:37 pm 

So, which Pens team is going to show up?
Outscored 11- 3 in their last two home games. To make matters worse, Murray has lost his last four at home and given up at least four goals in each of those losses.

I know, I know, it is early in the season but if you take away the recent road trip this team is a borderline playoff team. Something is very wrong with this squad-they shouldn't be embarrassed the way they have been too often this season.

Penguins projected lineup
Jake Guentzel -- Sidney Crosby -- Dominik Simon

Carl Hagelin -- Evgeni Malkin -- Phil Kessel

Bryan Rust -- Riley Sheahan -- Patric Hornqvist

Derek Grant -- Matt Cullen -- Daniel Sprong

Brian Dumoulin -- Kris Letang

Olli Maatta -- Juuso Riikola

Jack Johnson -- Jamie Oleksiak

Matt Murray

Casey DeSmith

Scratched: Chad Ruhwedel

Injured: Justin Schultz (left leg fracture), Derick Brassard (lower body)

Post subject: Re: Pens vs Devils 11-5-18
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:15 pm 

FFS...

Of course, the refs catch the second infraction and now the shaky Pens are on the PK.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:54 pm 

Just now tuning in at the break. Someone fill me in!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:15 pm 

Shit defense from the forwards. Murray has made some huge saves or this would be a joke.

The effort isn't there across the board. Too much reaching, not enough moving the feet.

Malkin is in a funk and can't make a pass. Crosby started off really bad but he came on towards the end of the first period.

No sustained time in the OZ is killing this team lately.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:25 pm 

Goddamn our defense is atrocious. This is getting tough to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:34 pm 

Sullivan just called the Pens 'fragile` or a nice way of saying `raging pussies`.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:58 pm 

We look abysmal. From top to bottom.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:12 pm 

Sure give up a 5th goal to start the 3rd period. Who is counting?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:17 pm 

What is that, 3 straight games Murray has been pulled? And it’s not his fault. He’s played fairly well. Says much more about the overall state of the team right now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:40 pm 

Has Tomlin talked to Sully about easing in to the season?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:42 pm 

Want to know the good news?

We’re not the Senators

https://deadspin.com/ottawa-senators-players-caught-on-video-talking-wild-sh-1830242726

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:49 pm 

So that’s 16-4 our last 3 home games? Holy shit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:03 am 

How did Jeremiah Johnson do? Get scalped?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:17 am 

Suwanee88 wrote:

I haven't even noticed him the last 3 games, to be honest. I'd like to say that's because he's improved, but it's more because it's a lot harder to focus on a single piece of garbage when you're standing in the middle of a landfill.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:08 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
We look abysmal. From top to bottom.

what the hell happened recently? shit. I mean its a long ass season and now is no time to peek but damn. they were looking really strong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:14 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:

I haven't even noticed him the last 3 games, to be honest. I'd like to say that's because he's improved, but it's more because it's a lot harder to focus on a single piece of garbage when you're standing in the middle of a landfill.

Along these lines, I watched the extended “highlights” from last night and JJ didn’t look horrendous, but that might be because Oleksiak Dumo and Maata looked as bad as I’ve ever seen them.

On Boyle’s second goal, Dumo looked like he was starting a break out that’s how high he was in the zone. On their 5th goal, Oleksiak completely blew his responsibility for Zajak’s easy tap in.

But it’s a bit unfair to pin it on those guys. This has been the worst team hockey I’ve seen out of any pens team in a long while. Murray made some great stops last night and we still got stomped. It isn’t make or break time but this is as deep of a rut as you will see over a 4-5 game stretch.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:49 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:

Along these lines, I watched the extended “highlights” from last night and JJ didn’t look horrendous, but that might be because Oleksiak Dumo and Maata looked as bad as I’ve ever seen them.

On Boyle’s second goal, Dumo looked like he was starting a break out that’s how high he was in the zone. On their 5th goal, Oleksiak completely blew his responsibility for Zajak’s easy tap in.

But it’s a bit unfair to pin it on those guys. This has been the worst team hockey I’ve seen out of any pens team in a long while. Murray made some great stops last night and we still got stomped. It isn’t make or break time but this is as deep of a rut as you will see over a 4-5 game stretch.

Yeah, I mean, I'm not normally the "whatever, it's November" guy. And I still am that guy. But even I'm a little concerned with 4 straight losses (albeit one in overtime) where 3 of those losses have been by 3 goals or more. That's a tough pill to swallow.

I'm somewhat comforted by the streak we went on during the Western Canada trip, though. THAT was the team that the Pens can be. We know that team exists. We just need to find way to keep that team on the ice.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:58 pm 

Yeah, I mean, I'm not normally the "whatever, it's November" guy. And I still am that guy. But even I'm a little concerned with 4 straight losses (albeit one in overtime) where 3 of those losses have been by 3 goals or more. That's a tough pill to swallow.

I'm somewhat comforted by the streak we went on during the Western Canada trip, though. THAT was the team that the Pens can be. We know that team exists. We just need to find way to keep that team on the ice.

Not to be a major downer, but maybe those teams just suck?

Metro is tougher every year it seems and the East seems to just play a different/faster brand of hockey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:02 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:

Not to be a major downer, but maybe those teams just suck?

Metro is tougher every year it seems and the East seems to just play a different/faster brand of hockey

I'm not at all saying it's foolproof logic, I'm saying it's what gets me to the next game.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:59 pm 

Of the teams we played on the now infamous Early Season Canadian Ass Kicking Tour, I’m pretty confident that 1) TOR 2) CGY and 3) VAN are solid teams. EDM is average.

I don’t think any of those teams are as good as the teams we regularly play in the Metro. Let’s face it boys; the rest of the Metro was sick of the Pens winning cups and made changes and have gotten much better. A lot of them were good to begin with.

There is just a weird funk with this team right now. It isn’t all that different than the funk we saw them in last November where it just looks like the air has been let out of the balloon. If you recall, the November Funk reached a crescendo after a Thanksgiving time drubbing to the Tampa Bay Lightning; I was drunk and myself and Lipps got into a 15+ pages internet shouting match that was hilarious on multiple levels.

I just think the bottom liners aren’t doing much which puts a ton of pressure on the top liners and that can be tough to deal with. Now, that said, I’ve seen some very poor play out of Sid Geno and Phil the last few games, but those guys I won’t worry about.

What I do worry about is 1) Murray and 2) the team defense is severely lacking to the point that Sullivan might need to teach these guys hockey 101 in that regard. You cannot win games losing that many puck battles and that many defensive zone blunders. Teams are too good too fast and too young now. When a team like NJ has their way with you and twice on Sunday, you know you are getting out skated and out hustled.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:10 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
I was drunk and myself and Lipps got into a 15+ pages internet shouting match that was hilarious on multiple levels.

Ahhhh, the holidays. Always bringing out the best in everyone.

I remember drinking a few Mad Elfs that night. I'm pretty sure I drank a bunch of them, but only remember the first couple.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:08 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
I was drunk and myself and Lipps got into a 15+ pages internet shouting match that was hilarious on multiple levels.

Ahhhh, the holidays. Always bringing out the best in everyone.

I remember drinking a few Mad Elfs that night. I'm pretty sure I drank a bunch of them, but only remember the first couple.

Mad Elfs....now that has Happy Holidays written all over it! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:45 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
Of the teams we played on the now infamous Early Season Canadian Ass Kicking Tour, I’m pretty confident that 1) TOR 2) CGY and 3) VAN are solid teams. EDM is average.

I don’t think any of those teams are as good as the teams we regularly play in the Metro. Let’s face it boys; the rest of the Metro was sick of the Pens winning cups and made changes and have gotten much better. A lot of them were good to begin with.

What I should have also included is that those teams in the West aren't as fast as we are, and that says a lot because we aren't exactly the fleetest of foot anymore in the NHL.

Going back East was a real slap in the face to the Pens. And what is up with the home record? Yikes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:27 pm 

ZAR and Garrett Wilson called up.

Derek Grant sent down.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:48 pm 

ZAR and Garrett Wilson called up.

Derek Grant sent down.

When Brassard comes back, they can sit Cullen. I love the player but he looks like the end found him already. He did have a nice chance last night but like almost the rest of the team, no one is finishing.

I still can't get the moment out of my head from last night when Sully told the interviewer that the Pens were a 'fragile' team at the moment. I think that was his way of calling the team out.