It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Idiot Ned Yost
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:10 pm 

man on first, nobody out, Escobar at bat -- he's having a great postseason -- righty hitter against lefty pitcher -- 2-0 count --

And what does Yost make him do?

Yep -- He Hurdled him -- made him lay down a fucking BUNT

it was a perfect bunt, but then the next 2 guys got outs, so no run scored

It never ceases to amaze me that these douchebag managers make some of their best hitters lay down bunts

I would bet TWO MILLION DOLLARS that Hurdle/Yost would make Babe Ruth fucking bunt in game 7 of the world series -- that's how stupid they are

Post subject: Re: Idiot Ned Yost
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:25 pm 

another Hurdle manager moment -- Alex Gordon singles to outfield and OF commits 2 base error -- Gordon could have scored easily had his 3rd base coach motioned him to run, but the guy held him at the third, where he remained thru the end of the game.

Yost is a dumbass, managing to lose, not to win -- like Hurdle -- ZERO tactical skills

Bumgarner wasn't giving up any hits -- Gordon should have been SENT HOME in that situation, not held up at 3rd

stupid

Royals deserved to lose -- Glad Giants won -- too bad we had to face them in the wild card

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:37 am 

At least round him by third and take a look at the throw, don't stop him.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:07 am 

The Bunt for Ned October.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:09 am 

is the only thing people know how to do around here is bitch about coaching?

They were facing the best post season pitching performance in the history of major league baseball. Babe Ruth never faced that kind of pitching.

Ned Yost took a team that nobody gave a chance to the 7th game of the World Series and dominated the entire postseason till that point. Nobody called him an idiot when he got his team ready for a 10-0 game 6 curb stomp.

So if we must compare him to Hurdle, I take it as a complement if I'm Clint

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:04 pm 

Just watche the replay on mlb.tv...both the broadcast view and the Statcast view (equivalent to the All 22 football view).

Gordon is out at the plate if he goes on that. Ball is already to the cutoff man by the time he reaches third.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:53 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Just watche the replay on mlb.tv...both the broadcast view and the Statcast view (equivalent to the All 22 football view).

Gordon is out at the plate if he goes on that. Ball is already to the cutoff man by the time he reaches third.

That's actually good to hear -- thanks for posting it Jeemie

i felt badly that the Royals got totally fucked by an idiotic rookie 3rd base coach, but if your replay shows that Gordon would've been out of the plate, then the decision was obviously correct not to send him

I heard today that the players on the bench were screaming to send Gordon home --

Everyone recognized that was their ONLY shot at scoring a run off Bumgarner, and that's why everyone thought he should have been sent

I still haven't seen that replay -- hopefully will catch it on TV later

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:46 pm 

steel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

That's actually good to hear -- thanks for posting it Jeemie

i felt badly that the Royals got totally fucked by an idiotic rookie 3rd base coach, but if your replay shows that Gordon would've been out of the plate, then the decision was obviously correct not to send him

I heard today that the players on the bench were screaming to send Gordon home --

Everyone recognized that was their ONLY shot at scoring a run off Bumgarner, and that's why everyone thought he should have been sent

I still haven't seen that replay -- hopefully will catch it on TV later

Here's the best image I've seen of the play:

Like steel said, the cutoff man is making the turn with the ball just as Gordon is getting to 3rd. Barring a colossal fuck up on the throw, Gordon is out by 30 feet if he tries to score.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:17 pm 

So make him throw it home and then make the call having rounded third. FORCE THE THROW! We have no idea where it will end up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:33 pm 

Maybe in the future we should gather more information before trying to slay any player or coach like that

A lesson I hope carries over into football forum because its even worse in there

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:39 pm 

hopalong wrote:
So make him throw it home and then make the call having rounded third. FORCE THE THROW! We have no idea where it will end up.

First, the Giants are in perfect position to play the ball in from the outfield: Crawford is taking the throw, Panik is in the cutoff spot between 3rd base and the mound. Bumgarner is backing up the throw home.

Gordon has his back to the play, so he can't know where the ball is. Given that, he can't possibly know how big of a turn he can make on 3rd. If Gordon makes the turn and the ball is cutoff, he's in alot of trouble. Even if Crawford throws home and the ball gets by Posey, there is a backup down there. In your scenario, Gordon won't be running at full speed, so it would take an incredible misfire for him to advance home. Plus, how many times have we seen a runner slip and fall when trying to quickly reverse course on a basepath?

Forcing the throw creates more problems for the baserunner than it does for the guys in the field. The 3rd base coach made the right call - no way around it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:55 pm 

So not doing it cost them the game. He didn't have to go more than 3 more steps. BLUFF!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:07 pm 

hopalong wrote:
So not doing it cost them the game. He didn't have to go more than 3 more steps. BLUFF!

I'm sorry to belabor this, but how is this possible?

If Gordon slows down to stop at third and then fakes toward home, the ball would more than likely go to the cut-off man, not to the plate.
I don't see how Gordon could make the turn at full speed then stop because:
1. He can't see the play, so he would have no idea whether this is possible. For all he knows, the throw is coming into 3rd.
2. The 3rd base coach couldn't communicate for him to bluff running home because of the crowd noise. Even if he did, Sandoval would likely hear him at third base and yell for Panik to cut off the throw

Just because we know they ended up losing the game doesn't mean they should have attempted such a high risk play.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:40 pm 

hopalong wrote:

The game ends if you force a throw and the throw is right on target.

Yeah...the odds are the Royals aren't getting another hit, but you never know...

PS Pabst explained it all better than I could have in his previous posts. Way too high risk to send him there, no matter what you think the odds of getting another hit are.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:53 pm 

Just to add to the mix, here's another view about a millisecond earlier --- Panik is still waiting to relay the incoming throw --- or will it go over his head straight through --- would he for sure be able to pivot and throw a strike in an extremely-pressure-filled moment, on a play already marred by several uncharacteristic Frisco flubs? (Remember how we all marveled with gratitude when Morneau pulled it off last year to clinch? Remember our misery as Gold-Glove Barry Bones 7-hopped it up the 1st-base line as Bream rounded 3rd? Not an automatic play is all I'm sayin')

MadBumFuk has been nearly unhittable since mowing down our hot Buccos 29 days ago --- including last night. The most unlikely scenario of all was that the Royals would be able to drive in that baserunner with 2 out already in the 9th. Here was at last a crazy, improbable, last-ditch chance to score --- Royals coach absolutely should have sent him IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:27 pm 

any wise old baseball mind will probably tell you that you never make the last out at home in the bottom of the 9th down a run in game 7 of the world series

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:43 pm 

franco>madden wrote:
Just to add to the mix, here's another view about a millisecond earlier --- Panik is still waiting to relay the incoming throw --- or will it go over his head straight through --- would he for sure be able to pivot and throw a strike in an extremely-pressure-filled moment, on a play already marred by several uncharacteristic Frisco flubs? (Remember how we all marveled with gratitude when Morneau pulled it off last year to clinch? Remember our misery as Gold-Glove Barry Bones 7-hopped it up the 1st-base line as Bream rounded 3rd? Not an automatic play is all I'm sayin')

MadBumFuk has been nearly unhittable since mowing down our hot Buccos 29 days ago --- including last night. The most unlikely scenario of all was that the Royals would be able to drive in that baserunner with 2 out already in the 9th. Here was at last a crazy, improbable, last-ditch chance to score --- Royals coach absolutely should have sent him IMO.

That was exactly my feeling IN REAL TIME while watching the game --

I was thinking, holy shit, they have a chance of scoring RIGHT HERE --

But a millisecond later I see the runner holding up, going into 3rd, with the coach waving his arms to stop him

Many thoughts at that point:

1. Bumgarner is unhittable -- this is IT
2. the OF is bumbling the throw, go for home!
3. MAKE them make a play at home

At a minimum, he should have made the turn at third, and not pulled up beforehand -- the image you posted shows the runner slowing down and pulling up well before he gets to third -- that was a mistake, since he should have rounded the base, even if he wasn't going home --

the throw hadn't even been made to the cutoff guy at that point, and he's already pulling up....

I thought it was a pussy move at the time

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:47 pm 

Iron_City wrote:
Maybe in the future we should gather more information before trying to slay any player or coach like that

A lesson I hope carries over into football forum because its even worse in there

Really? Who fucking cares? it's a message board!

I wonder what they're saying on the Royals message boards -- i'm sure there's a lot of people complaining about this play over there!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:48 pm 

Force the play and Hope. No harm, no foul. Staying there was not the play, at least prompt the throw.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:50 pm 

hopalong wrote:
Force the play and Hope. No harm, no foul. Staying there was not the play, at least prompt the throw.

Given the circumstances, that seemed to be what they should have at least tried

Instead, they sent up a sub-par hitting player, who was very hurt from getting hit by pitch earlier in the game -- he was an easy damn out.

Also not sure why Yost didn't pinch hit for perez there -- the guy was so gimped out, he could barely walk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:03 pm 

steel wrote:
hopalong wrote:

Given the circumstances, that seemed to be what they should have at least tried

Pabst wrote:
First, the Giants are in perfect position to play the ball in from the outfield: Crawford is taking the throw, Panik is in the cutoff spot between 3rd base and the mound. Bumgarner is backing up the throw home.

Gordon has his back to the play, so he can't know where the ball is. Given that, he can't possibly know how big of a turn he can make on 3rd. If Gordon makes the turn and the ball is cutoff, he's in alot of trouble. Even if Crawford throws home and the ball gets by Posey, there is a backup down there. In your scenario, Gordon won't be running at full speed, so it would take an incredible misfire for him to advance home. Plus, how many times have we seen a runner slip and fall when trying to quickly reverse course on a basepath?

Forcing the throw creates more problems for the baserunner than it does for the guys in the field. The 3rd base coach made the right call - no way around it.

Pabst wrote:
If Gordon slows down to stop at third and then fakes toward home, the ball would more than likely go to the cut-off man, not to the plate.
I don't see how Gordon could make the turn at full speed then stop because:
1. He can't see the play, so he would have no idea whether this is possible. For all he knows, the throw is coming into 3rd.
2. The 3rd base coach couldn't communicate for him to bluff running home because of the crowd noise. Even if he did, Sandoval would likely hear him at third base and yell for Panik to cut off the throw

Just because we know they ended up losing the game doesn't mean they should have attempted such a high risk play.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:06 pm 

I have a chance, you don't!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:36 pm 

From a KC message board:

Quote:
royalhead # 45802.11(11 of 53) Replied to: thebeefster12:35 AM

I had lower level seats in the left field so had a very good view of the play.
I thought it was a terrible decision to hold Gordon and was pretty mad right after. Salvy is just not a clutch hit, minus the A'S final at bat.
NOBODY hear can say Gordon would have been safe or out, as it would have been a very close play. However our odds were much higher with that play than anything else. Score there and we are done with MB.
I think part of it was Gordon was shocked he was still running. Just a lesson to always run as fast as you can out of the box. Definitely not his fault though

Quote:
coach10 # 45802.13(13 of 53) Replied to: thebeefster12:38 AM

Crawford catches the relay at the same time Gordon gets to third. Chances are Gordon gets thrown out at home but it would take a good throw, good catch, and a good tag and remember Posey can't block the plate. I agree the best chance at that point of the game would be send him and see what happens.

Quote:
nwbearcat5 # 45802.14(14 of 53) Replied to: coach1012:41 AM

Can u imagine if he had sent him and he got thrown out by 10 feet. The crowd may have hung him from a dugout suite. I agree that their was no way you could have sent him there.

http://forums.prospero.com/discussions/Kansas_City_Royals/General/JIRSCHELE_YOU_CAN_NOT_STOP_GORDON_AT_THIRD_BASE_ON_THAT_HIT/ml-royals/45802.1?nav=messages

(Ugh --- perusing other sports teams' fan sites makes me reeeeeally appreciate our SFury home here 8-) )

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:16 pm 

Iron_City wrote:

They were facing the best post season pitching performance in the history of major league baseball. Babe Ruth never faced that kind of pitching.

Ned Yost took a team that nobody gave a chance to the 7th game of the World Series and dominated the entire postseason till that point. Nobody called him an idiot when he got his team ready for a 10-0 game 6 curb stomp.

Sure he did. He faced possibly the greatest pitcher of all-time, Walter Johnson.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:38 pm 

Obviously wrote:
Iron_City wrote:

Sure he did. He faced possibly the greatest pitcher of all-time, Walter Johnson.

And the Babe did another thing too:

Quote:
. . . and the (1926 World) Series ended when -- with Gehrig at the plate and the Yankees trailing by one run -- Ruth was caught trying to steal second base.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/history/postseason/mlb_ws_recaps.jsp?feature=1926