It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pens Sabres 11-1-14
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:19 pm 

Kunitz with the good followup after the Captain made a nice center drive. 1-0

Hard to believe the Sabres average just over a goal a game. 10 shots in one game 15 in another.

Push it tonight Birdies, send the Saturday night crowd home very happy.

Post subject: Re: Pens Sabres 11-1-14
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:59 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:

Hard to believe the Sabres average just over a goal a game. 10 shots in one game 15 in another.

I've been a Fluery defender through rough playoff's. I've said competent D in front of him is the deciding factor of him being dominant or horrible...he tries to do to much when there's consistent breakdowns. 3 shutouts in 4 games. He's on the rise. If they play solid in front of him during the PO's he'll be that hot goalie you dread going up against.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:35 pm 

pretty sweet game against a terrible team -- we didn't play down to the level of competition - its early in season, but we look super strong

saw the rangers are down to 4 D -- i wonder if we could interest them in one or 2 of our own??

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:30 pm 

VanWilder wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

I've been a Fluery defender through rough playoff's. I've said competent D in front of him is the deciding factor of him being dominant or horrible...he tries to do to much when there's consistent breakdowns. 3 shutouts in 4 games. He's on the rise. If they play solid in front of him during the PO's he'll be that hot goalie you dread going up against.

Van, the Flower is only 5 wins away from 300 in his career. Amazing how quickly he has totaled such in a short time. When you look at those who have crossed the 300 threshold it is a long list, some 30 or so players. Oddly, IMO, the greatest of all time Ken Dryden isn't a member. Then again he took a lot of time off during his career to pursue other endeavors.

Bottom line, they win big this year, the birdies that is, and MAF probably gets an extension. I'll always root for him to succeed but if they fall short this year it might be time to look in a different direction.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:02 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
VanWilder wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

Van, the Flower is only 5 wins away from 300 in his career. Amazing how quickly he has totaled such in a short time. When you look at those who have crossed the 300 threshold it is a long list, some 30 or so players. Oddly, IMO, the greatest of all time Ken Dryden isn't a member. Then again he took a lot of time off during his career to pursue other endeavors.

Bottom line, they win big this year, the birdies that is, and MAF probably gets an extension. I'll always root for him to succeed but if they fall short this year it might be time to look in a different direction.

I'm aware, just blows my mind that so much blame gets put on him when the guys in front of him don't do him ANY favors. He gets sloppy when that happens. So much of goaltending is mental, i cant even imagine how much more so at that level. I liken it to an ace pitcher getting the start night after night. If you trust your support, you dont have to put the pressure on yourself to be perfect every start...he's had that kind of D & backchecking twice in the PO'S, '07 & '08. Maybe '09 but the big dogs were out & they had little choice.

He gets a bad rap for Bylsma's system, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:09 pm 

My big beef with Fluery is his proclivity to do extremely stupid shit behind the net trying to play the puck. That stuff has cost us games and nearly cost us numerous others. That said, i'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on a lot of stuff when he had a non-existant defense in front of him. If he can show that he can be a great goaltender with a responsible D in front of him i'd be all in favor of keeping him........for the right price. I don't advocate paying him like he's the next Dominator or anything even if he has a great year.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:21 pm 

CaptainFantastik wrote:
My big beef with Fluery is his proclivity to do extremely stupid shit behind the net trying to play the puck. That stuff has cost us games and nearly cost us numerous others. That said, i'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on a lot of stuff when he had a non-existant defense in front of him. If he can show that he can be a great goaltender with a responsible D in front of him i'd be all in favor of keeping him........for the right price. I don't advocate paying him like he's the next Dominator or anything even if he has a great year.

I have no doubt the Pen's would immediately regret letting him go. He's an athletic freak that gets rattled when he's hung out to dry. Patrick Roy would look worse asking him to do the same. It's part of the reason I wanted Bylsma gone even if he somehow won the cup again.